Official GIGABYTE Forum

I fixed my dead main BIOS, but with a weird side-effect.

LFX64

I fixed my dead main BIOS, but with a weird side-effect.
« on: May 27, 2020, 01:34:17 am »
(Note: my board is the Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K7 rev 1.0 and I've been on F50a for a while now and prior to installing that BIOS I did follow the instructions of flashing to prior BIOSes before utilising BIOS F50a).

While I was in the garden the other day somebody in the household plugged in the wrong charger for a device in the kitchen and blew the plug which tripped the MCB. Upstairs, my PC was off at the time plugged into a surge protector but with the rear PSU switch on (as most people have). A couple of days after this incident I turn the PC on and it takes forever. I realise what has happened and proceed to the BIOS to set it up again, not realising it was stuck on the backup BIOS. When I did finally realise it was permanently on the backup BIOS, naturally I wanted to fix it - it's never good having only one BIOS for very obvious reasons. I was wondering why the backup BIOS wasn't automatically reflashing the main BIOS. I figured maybe the BIOS chip had died entirely. I turned off the computer, removed the battery, cycled the power switch numerous times, cleared CMOS via switch / jumper, yada yada yada, everything you can do and despite this it kept going back to the backup BIOS automatically. I tried to reflash the main BIOS but since I was in the backup BIOS (now acting as main) and despite clicking the option to reflash the other BIOS, it wouldn't work (though it didn't fail, it proceeded to 100% and rebooted and I can only guess it didn't properly work because it would expect me to be in the main BIOS and using the option to reflash both is for the sole purpose of flashing the backup when working from main). Anyway, it didn't work properly but it didn't fail either.

The ONLY option I had, and I cannot stress that enough, was to turn off dual BIOS via the board (while the system was off), set backup BIOS via the switch, go into the BIOS and then switch the jumper to main before entering Q-Flash and flashing the same BIOS revision. It worked. It brought it back. Now what I find most odd and I have read this in other threads about Gigabyte boards, is where the backup BIOS didn't reflash the existing BIOS and that what ends up happening is the BIOS switches are now the wrong way around. Is this due to moving the BIOS switch while it was in BIOS? It was the only way of fixing it. I've now turned Dual Bios mode back on but prior to this, whenever I switched between BIOS 1 and 2 on the board (when off - I only kept it on and switched to fix the original BIOS), BIOS 1 is now the backup chip and BIOS 2 on the switch is the Main bios. It shouldn't be that way around.

I've had backup BIOS restore things properly before on BIOS revisions prior to F50a and I can only surmise that something is very wrong with that BIOS revision because the backup BIOS feature didn't do its job, at all, simply from the MCB tripping in the house. I'm pleased I have both of my BIOS chips working but I'm disappointed that the feature didn't behave as it is supposed to and it required a lot of messing around before fixing it, with a weird permanent side effect to remain on my system.

TL;DR? The main backup BIOS feature didn't work properly. The main BIOS became useless, backup BIOS couldn't successfully reflash main and now the BIOS 1 switch is the backup and the BIOS 2 switch is the Main (the wrong way around - likely rendering future automatic backup features non-functional). If this isn't evidence that 3 BIOSes are more important as a backup system compared to 2, then I don't know what is. High end boards of the future should have 3.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:46:24 am by LFX64 »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: I fixed my dead main BIOS, but with a weird side-effect.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 02:08:29 am »
Greetings,
Have you tried ALT+F12 after power on?
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

LFX64

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 03:33:13 am »
Greetings,
Have you tried ALT+F12 after power on?

Hi. I didn't even know that was a thing.

It's been okay and I've turned the computer on a few times since, but I just turned the computer on about 5 minutes ago and the M-BIOS and B-BIOS LEDs are flashing intermittently - almost looks as if the LED is going back and forth between the two. Weird thing is it booted up fine, all of my settings appear to be intact, HWInfo is monitoring the Infinity Fabric on my Ryzen 7 3700X as running at 1800MHz (which is what it is supposed to be), RAM at 3600Mhz with the same timings as before, no manual CPU overclock (on auto), etc, custom fan curves are all okay. Why are the BIOS lights flashing? Seriously this is so messed up. First the backup bios fails to reflash the first (I don't even think it tried tbh) so I had to do it manually, then the BIOS switch is in reverse and now the lights are flashing back and forth. I have a sneaky suspicion that bios F50a is dodgy and that the BIOS backup function was screwed up in that update only to reveal itself when the CMOS cleared.

Starting to get annoyed with this AX370 Gaming K7. The only good thing I can say about this board is the VRMs.

EDIT: rebooted and the flashing (blinking) LEDs, back and forth between M-BIOS and B-BIOS has stopped but I'd like to know what this issue is and if it's highlighting a potential issue on the horizon. The BIOS backup blatantly failed to do its job under F50a, now all this is going on.

EDIT #2: just a bit of info. I've had this PC set up for a while now and I've had my 3700X in for a few months, no issues. The CPU socketing was done very, very carefully and I'm confident the thermal paste application was stellar. Thermals and voltages are never an issue and never have been. I've never had any sort of system instability in the paste or even since this weird BIOS issue. I can still play games just fine and have no problems but I would like to find out what is happening here and why the BIOS backup function didn't work and if there is any way to reverse this BIOS being on the wrong switch issue.

Appreciate any help given.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:31:35 am by LFX64 »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 05:01:37 pm »
Pardon me for posting the wrong information.  You want to use ALT+F10 for AMI BIOS...

Senior moment on my part ALT+F12 won't do anything on your board. 

See this post from King Absic

https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,10304.0.html

8yrs old, but still helpful.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

LFX64

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 05:34:53 pm »
Pardon me for posting the wrong information.  You want to use ALT+F10 for AMI BIOS...

Senior moment on my part ALT+F12 won't do anything on your board. 

See this post from King Absic

https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,10304.0.html

8yrs old, but still helpful.

Appreciate the info. I'm not sure how this is going to work given that I'm on the main BIOS now but can only be so by having the BIOS selector switch set to 2 (which was originally backup). If I switch to switch 1 it switches to Backup. I'll see what happens tonight when I use the Alt-F10 thing.

LFX64

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 07:13:42 am »
Tried the Alt-F10 thing. Doesn't appear to do anything. It could be that the secondary bios, which acts as a backup to the first has lost its functionality because the bioses got switched around and are now in different positions after the initial backup system failed to restore the first and forced me to use the method I did. Bit disappointed about that. Now I have no choice but to run the Main Bios in Switch Position 2 and have no Alt+F10 or automatic backup facility due to the blundering of Gigabyte BIOSes. Again, the necessity of a backup to the backup is clear... calling it before it happens: Tri-Bios Backup.