Official GIGABYTE Forum

Enable/disable drives on X570 Aorus Master

Xen

Enable/disable drives on X570 Aorus Master
« on: July 07, 2020, 05:05:55 pm »
Previously I had an Intel chip on a GA-X99 motherboard, and it was very easy to enable/disable drives in the BIOS. Recently I swapped over to AMD and an X570 Aorus Master, and for the life of me I can't find a way to disable drives. It's not the end of the world, but it is a nuisance.

Is there a way to do it on this board, and if so how? If not, why not? It seems a step backwards.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Enable/disable drives on X570 Aorus Master
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 03:21:47 pm »
Previously I had an Intel chip on a GA-X99 motherboard, and it was very easy to enable/disable drives in the BIOS. Recently I swapped over to AMD and an X570 Aorus Master, and for the life of me I can't find a way to disable drives. It's not the end of the world, but it is a nuisance.

Is there a way to do it on this board, and if so how? If not, why not? It seems a step backwards.

Will need to research this, but AMD has always used a different type of 'hot plug' technology and might be the reason why you cannot find a way to disable an individual disk on a single port or interface.

If you are using your BIOS as  a "boot manager" this is not a good idea.  I'm not going to go in to any details why.  I'll see if I can find something more for you.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Xen

Re: Enable/disable drives on X570 Aorus Master
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:08:25 pm »

Will need to research this, but AMD has always used a different type of 'hot plug' technology and might be the reason why you cannot find a way to disable an individual disk on a single port or interface.

If you are using your BIOS as  a "boot manager" this is not a good idea.  I'm not going to go in to any details why.  I'll see if I can find something more for you.

I've had Gigabyte motherboards for AMD chips before - in fact the previous Intel chip is the only Intel chip I can recall using - and recent ones have allowed the disabling of drives through the BIOS.Hence my surprise that I can't use a function I took for granted.