Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 m.2 nmve hdd problems at bios, tried f6 , f7 and f8a

Hi i was reading a lot this site and tried different things. Im not sure what config should be on bios,m.2 disk appears and dissapears.randomly
 My kid computer has 2 sata hdd  on port 0 and 2 , a dvd on 3.Al ahci normal stateNot raid option.
In order to speed up a little windows boot i bought  XPG SX6000 Lite PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280. Also purchased a kingston a2000 for my wife that i used fortest the m.2 port/connector or discard adata sdd error/rma.

First time i connected with f6 bios ,the drive in m.2 was found in bios features->boot option lists and also on pperipherals at the bottom show nmve info. the windows 8 features was "another os" , "uefi and legacy"
booted win10 on hdd , but windows cant find it, not in disk magement, or device manager. Nothing.
dynamic storage acceerationis disabled, on peripherals -> intel rapid start technology is also disabled.

I've read https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-m-2-nvme-ssd.3365143/ but didnt woorked.

roll it back , but nmve disk don't show up. Loaded defaults and now finds it again.

Read some posts here, in tweaktown forum, recommended to update to f6e,/f7 so i went up to f8a.
after the bios update find some different options : in windows 8 features there are 3 optiones: another os, windows 8 adn windows 8 wqhl.
Also in peripherals shows 2 new options for  intel rapid start technology: a) use intel pci b) use hci /raid, but im not using this tech.

well, i will try this soon https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gigabyte-z97m-d3h-nvme-support.3097090/ , but some others tried  csm off and uefi only. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-there-a-way-for-a-z97-motherboard-to-support-nvme.3563351/

has someone had this rare m.2 disapearing problems from bios? sometimes you boot and itis there, sometimes it doesnt

thanks

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 m.2 nmve hdd problems at bios, tried f6 , f7 and f8a
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 02:54:58 pm »
Greetings,
This is one of the few Z97 based boards that supported m.2 devices.  Mainstream support wasn't provided until the Z170 series.

If you are going to use m.2, I suggest you stick with something from the boards QVL:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Document/mb_m.2_support.pdf

It might be something as simple as the storage controller (compatibility).  Either way, any speed increase would be negligible and I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure it out when standard SSD's can be used with 100% reliability.  Cold boot on this config is about 12sec to the desktop. 

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 03:03:50 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 12:33:30 am »
Well i disconnectd 3 Sata drives, just left USB win 10 and nmve, installed, all fines , boots nmve, when i attach the sata drives it detects them and boot forma the hdd instead of nmve.
Aldo i ser Erased the nmve in BIOS .
I'm using f8a.
Will try f6/f7. So weird!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 01:20:48 am »
Go into the Bios and change the boot order. 1st boot windows boot manager. 2nd boot the M.2 drive. 3rd you hard drive. You dealing with windows 10 a piece crap OS.

I have one the other day I'm building a computer. All it had in it was 2tb hard drive with nothing. In the bios it had the windows boot manager.

I was messing around with some RGB fans. I was turning it on check thing on the fans and light than turning it off.

Well I got my M.2 drive I was waiting for. Put it in and I try load windows. Booted from the USB UEFI DVD and it would BSOD. Connected a DVD to the board got the same thing.

Went back in the bios and the 2tb hard drive it had windows boot manager on it why I don't know. Disconnected the drive everything was fine. Reconnected the drive but this time I did what I told you making that drive the 3rd boot.

Plus the only way you will get everything off of that drive is you have to almost do like you are installing windows. Once you get into where you pick to upgrade or custom. Pick custom and than you delete all the partition.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 12:26:47 am »
well looks like the problem is crappy gigabyte bios options,  on F8a bios , dont ask me why if change controller to Raid it works!!!!
 Settings:
1: Go to -> Peripherals - SATA Configuration
2: Change 'SATA Mode Selection' to RAID. (M.2 PCIe SSD RAID Mode should be 'enabled' by Default, if not enable it)
3: Go to BIOS Features
4: Set Windows 8 Features to:

Windows 8 Features = Windows 8
CSM Support = Always
Boot Mode Selection = UEFI Only
LAN PXE Boot Option ROM = Enabled/Disabled (your choice)
Storage Boot Option Control = UEFI Only
Other PCI Devices ROM Prioity = UEFI OpROM
On boot choose your nmve with windows loader 
​​​​​​​
Save this BIOS configuration.