Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Motherboard and Windows 10 installation

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Motherboard and Windows 10 installation
« on: April 25, 2021, 08:55:59 am »
Hi Folks  :)

I've built a computer using this motherboard about six years ago and installed windows 7.
I haven't had any real problems over the years so I've been quite pleased with it's performance.

I've decided to bite the bullet and install windows 10. I'll be buying windows ten from Scan computers (I always buy my hardware from them as they give me excellent service btw.)
The Windows 10 will be the retail version supplied on a USB stick.
I will also be buying a new 1 Tb. SSD  to install the windows 10 on to it plus a 1 TB. 3.5 drive for storage.

Bios version on the motherboard is rev 16
In the Boot options menu there seems to be no USB option. Iv'e listed the options screen as shown below.
Here is the screen that's displayed when I select Boot options

Boot option Priorities

P3:Crucial-CT250mx200ssd1
Windows Boot Manager
P2:HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS90
Disabled

Hard Drive BBS Priorities
CD/DVD Drive BBS Priorites

Boot up Numlock State                Enabled
Security Option                           System
Full screen Logo Show                 Enabled

HMIT CPUID Maximum                Disabled
Execute Disable Bit                     Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology     Disabled

CSM Support                              Always
Boot mode Selection                   UEFI an...
Pxe Boot Option Control              Disabled
Storage Boot Option Control        Legacy...

Question is, how and what do I select/change to get the motherboard to access/see the USB stick.  :)

Any help, or a walk through of what I need to select and or change in the boot screen would be most welcome!

Thank's in advance  :)

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Motherboard and Windows 10 installation
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 04:45:17 pm »
You really can still upgrade for free. All need is a windows 10 version build 1607. Put the disk when you are in windows 7. It will ask you some question as it getting ready upgrade your old windows.

The thing is don't do any updates when it ask to check for updates. When it gets done you have digital key attach to the motherboard.   

Then you can do a clean install if you want after done with the upgrade. I have upgraded a lot older computers than that board you are using with no problems.

But if you just want to do a clean install with the new windows 10 you can do that too.

1. Put the windows disk in or plug in the USB drive.
2. Enter the Bios.
3. Make you are booting up AHCI & UEFI
4. Click the tab that shows what to boot up
5. Bootup on the UEFI DVD or UEFI USB Drive.
6. Save and reboot.
7. If you are using a DVD it ask to boot on the DVD just hit enter.
8. Once it gets to the install screens just follower the info they ask you. Once you get to where they ask to upgrade or custom.
9. Click on all custom. Once there delete all the Partition on the drive you are going to use and only that drive.
10. When you done doing that click on new. It you ask you if you want to setup the drive click yes.
11. Once that is done click on the large partition and click OK. It will start to install.
12. Now this is up to you if you don't want a password and off line account disconnect from the internet. Once you put your name in you can reconnect to the internet. 
13. Once it is all done and you are in windows just let it install all the drivers.
14. Once that is done at that point if you want to update drivers you can do if you want.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:46:53 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Motherboard and Windows 10 installation
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 04:41:16 pm »
Greetings,
To dmdilks point, you can upgrade or use your Windows 7 key and upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE.

No need to pay for windows 10 if you don't need to.

Create windows 10 installation media...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you have your windows 7 key...  use it in conjunction with the installer and perform a fresh install of windows 10.  The installation media you create is bootable.

If you don't have your key, the process is two step, but still completely do-able.

Run the windows 10 install media in the windows 7 OS, upgrade the system to 10, reboot once.  You now have a fully licensed install of windows 10 (digital license).  Now use the same bootable install media to perform a fresh install of windows 10. 

It will automatically activate, when the system is connected to the internet and your restart.   

Either way, you don't have to spent any money to achieve the end result.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW