Official GIGABYTE Forum

RAID on SATA after WIN10 install?

markja

RAID on SATA after WIN10 install?
« on: August 05, 2021, 09:31:32 pm »
I have a newly built system which is working well.

I decided to RAID a couple of old SATA drives as general storage in addition to my single 1TB M2 SSD WIN 10 Boot drive (C:)

I have initialised and created them into a suitable array in the BIOS. But I have ended up in a BSOD as inaccessible_boot_device  (until having recovered). It appears the BSOD was caused after installing RAID drivers in Win10 and rebooting.
All the info I read documents the installation of WIN10 onto a newly created RAID. But of course I am not doing this having already a WIN10 install on my single SSD (suitably backed up regularly).
Any thoughts or clues what I may be doing wrong?

Main Hardware Information:
CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core / 3701 Mhz)
RAM (Patriot / DDR4-2667 / (1333 MHZ) / 2 x 8GB)
Motherboard X570 AORUS PRO V1.2
Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 / Core 300 MHZ  / Memory 405 MHz)
PSU (Corsair 850)

Software Information:
Operating System :  Windows 10 Pro   10.0.19043 Build 19043
Video Card Drivers in Use ( and tried ): Driver Version 30.0.14.7141
Motherboard Drivers Used: All latest from website.
BIOS : F34

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: RAID on SATA after WIN10 install?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 02:44:19 pm »
Greetings,
This is possible on Intel based boards, I have never done so on a AMD chipset.  I found posts on AMD's forums from a large number of users that state it isn't possible.  I do not know if this is true.  I also have not found any documentation on the registry entries which dictate the driver the OS will use for RAID with an AMD based board.  Intel yes, AMD no.

Appreciate it if you would try and post your results.  I'd start with a full disk image back up.  This way you can experiment without data loss.

I know you said you have 2 disks connected and configured in BIOS for RAID in the RAIDExpert Utility, that's fine.

Try this:
Download the pre-install driver:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_579_x64_9.3.0.221.zip

You'll need to run the .exe and save to a directory or USB stick

Now open MSCONFIG, select the Boot tab and enable the SAFE boot check box, apply and close.  Don't restart here.

Now use the start menu to restart the system.  Enter BIOS,  Change the controller operate mode to RAID.  F10 to save and allow the restart.  Windows should boot.  If it does, try updating the storage controller driver to RAID.

Now restart again and verify the RAID driver is loaded.  If satisfied, disable SAFE Boot in MSCONFIG and restart normally. 

At this point, I would install the RAID Expert2 Utility which will give you enhanced support, management and array recovery options.  It should pick up your existing array assuming your have it enabled in BIOS, have marked the member disks, set the RAID level and created the array properly.

Troubleshooting:
Things that might go wrong.  After enabling RAID, the BIOS may set the boot order incorrectly.  Ensure your m.2 drive remains first. 

Installing the RAIDExpert2 Utility prior to upgrading and changing the controller's operate mode may be wise.

Final thoughts:

This might not work.  I have never tested it.  Will be interested in hearing your results.  Worst case, you'll have a back up to revert to should things not turn out well.

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

markja

Re: RAID on SATA after WIN10 install?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 08:10:21 pm »
Thank you so much for your kind reply.
In fact I needed to restore from a disk image soon after I posted this. Unsure as to why the previous Windows diagnosis/automatic recovery failed to fix the inaccessible boot device as it had done previously. So am quite happy to do such a recovery. If I don't get around to it this weekend it may have to wait until next.

I had never considered a difference between Intel/AMD based boards. This is my 1st AMD board which so far I'm very happy with.

Mark