Official GIGABYTE Forum

unable to fully boot after CPU Upgrade

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: unable to fully boot after CPU Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 09:48:31 am »
Sorry that this is causing so much grief Jim. I have to admit that it is not going as well as I would have expected.

Just want to confirm a few things before we do anything else so, if you can post back with the answers to a couple of questions, that would be great.

1. What BIOS version do you currently have installed?
2. Did you run the EC FW update version B19.0606.1?
3. Do you know if AMD Chipset drivers are latest version?

BEFORE you restart your PC again, I would recommend that you clear CMOS to get everything back to default parameters. That should clear the freezing issue that you are now facing.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 10:13:00 am »
Hi Rob, Yeah, I think that would be really useful, thank you for the offer, I live in Hampshire
Jim

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 10:48:19 am »
UPDATE:

I contacted Jim, outside of the Forum, so that we could work through the problems that he was facing with getting the BIOS updated to the latest version so that he could run his Ryzen 5600X. These are the steps we undertook, to sort out the problem.

Attempted to clear CMOS but ran into issues with it not clearing properly. So removed motherboard battery overnight.

Stripped PC down to basic components, CPU, GPU, 1 stick of RAM, 1 monitor, USB keyboard and mouse.
Fitted new CMOS battery
Started PC, CMOS had cleared (having been left overnight) and was then able to enter BIOS.
Shutdown PC refitted NVMe drive, restarted PC and booted into windows.
Updated chipset drivers rebooted PC. Once back into Windows restarted and went back into BIOS
Updated BIOS to F40 using QFlash.
Rebooted to Windows, all OK.
Restarted PC, back into BIOS, updated to F61 using QFlash. Rebooted to Windows, all OK
Shutdown PC, disconnected from mains power, replaced 2600 CPU with 5600X. Restarted PC all OK.
Shutdown, disconnected from power supply, refitted all components.
Restarted PC, all now functioning as expected.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2021, 01:10:13 pm »
absic,
Followed the thread from start to finish.  Very kind and excellent help.

Thumbs Up!
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2021, 01:42:38 pm »
shadowsport

Thanks, had a real issue with getting CMOS cleared, hence having to leave the motherboard battery out overnight. Not sure if the problem was created by running the EC FW update or not updating the chipset drivers prior to running the FW update.

Once we had cleared CMOS and updated the chipset drivers, updating the BIOS went as expected.

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 08:13:22 am »
Absic,
Thanks for all your help!
Jim :D :D