Official GIGABYTE Forum

Continuous beep prior to POST - Has my memory failed ?

uk lee

Continuous beep prior to POST - Has my memory failed ?
« on: September 15, 2021, 01:40:36 pm »
Hello , I have 4 x G.Skill 8GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory DIMMs on my Gigabyte GA-Z77Z-UD5H mobo .

Today my PC failed to boot and would not get to the POST stage. The BIOS gave continuous short beeps for 20 seconds , before it shut down . It then rebooted and again gave continuous short beeps before shutting down. This cycle would repeat until I switched off the power

My Gigabyte mobo features a Debug LED , and was displaying “51” whilst attempting to boot and sounding continuous short beeps.

My Gigabyte manual decodes “ 51” as an error code with the description “ Memory initialization error occurs “

I removed all 4 memory DIMMs from the mobo , then tried to boot up my PC by inserting 1 x DIMM at a time in slot 1 . 3 out of the 4 DIMMs gave the same fault as before.

1 of the DIMM's fitted to slot 1 and the PC boots up and works fine. - i cant believe that 3 sticks would all fail at the same time - what else could cause this issue ?

Another reason to doubt the mechanical failure of the memory sticks is that I had exactly the same issue a couple of years ago (only that time - 2 or the 4 DIMMS would work , and the other 2 gave continuous short beeps) That time i contacted GSKILL technical for help and we managed to get my machine back up and running - although for the life of me , i honestly cant remember exactly what we did to resolve it and i cant find any email correspondence. i do know that the sticks were not replaced.

any idea's anyone ? anything i can try to prove if the individual memory modules are 'truly' faulty ?

Lee
Gigabyte GA-Z77Z-UD5H (rev 1.1) Mobo  , BIOS F16j , Intel Ivybridge  i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz socket 1155 CPU Nvidia GTX660 Ti GPU , 4 x G.Skill 4GB (16GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory DIMMs . Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) , (C:) Samsung 1TB SSD (D:) WD 4TB HDD (E:) WD 1TB HDD