Official GIGABYTE Forum

PC Unable to Boot with Thunderbolt 3 PCI Card Installed

PC Unable to Boot with Thunderbolt 3 PCI Card Installed
« on: September 25, 2021, 11:14:23 am »
Hi,

I have a PC built around a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master motherboard.  I have purchased a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card which I plugged into a PCIx4 slot.

The problem is that if I connect the card's jumper to the motherboard's Thunderbolt header using the supplied cable, the PC simply refuses to boot.  It doesn't even get to the BIOS, starting to load what it needs before constantly restarting again.

This is driving me nuts as this Thunderbolt stuff was expensive  :( The BIOS is fully up to date, I have the new one that was only released for the motherboard this month.

Can somebody help me with this please?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: PC Unable to Boot with Thunderbolt 3 PCI Card Installed
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 12:11:11 pm »
Hi there,

what revision is your motherboard and what CPU are you running?

Just checking the specs and it seems that you have got the wrong Thunderbolt card for your motherboard. You need the Titan Ridge version ( https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GC-TITAN-RIDGE-rev-20#kf ) NOT the Alpine Ridge model.

Here it is at Scan UK: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-titan-ridge-20-aic-thunderbolt3-pcie-30-x4-2x-type-c-displayport-14-2x-mini-displayport
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:21:11 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 12:21:35 pm »
It's the Rev 1.2 version of the board, and I'm running an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 12:27:00 pm »
Just checking the specs and it seems that you have got the wrong Thunderbolt card for your motherboard. You need the Titan Ridge version ( https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GC-TITAN-RIDGE-rev-20#kf ) NOT the Alpine Ridge model.

Really?!  That's a crock.  There was nothing I saw on the Gigabyte information about these cards that mentioned them being incompatible with motherboards  :(

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 12:32:03 pm »
I've ordered a Titan Ridge   :(  Thanks for your help   ;)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 01:29:17 pm »
Really?!  That's a crock.  There was nothing I saw on the Gigabyte information about these cards that mentioned them being incompatible with motherboards  :(

I agree, I only happened to discover this myself recently, when I was researching for a new motherboard. It would be really helpful if Gigabyte stated, on their Motherboard pages, which Thunderbolt card is compatible.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.