Official GIGABYTE Forum

Does the Gigabyte B360M AORUS Gaming 3 Intel 8th Gen Motherboard support Win11?

JDMils

I am trying to install Win11 on my PC and verifying the compatability via Windows PC Health Check, and was told the following:
* TPM 2.0 is not supported.
* This PC must support Secure Boot

I was able to enable the TPM 2.0 support in the BIOS and now PC Health Check does not show this message however the Secure Boot option is a problem.

To enable the Secure Boot option in the BIOS, I have to disable the CSM Support. This then shows the Secure Boot option however no matter which Secure Boot options I try, the Boot Option Priorities menu shows NO drives and booting just gets me back into the BIOS. The only way I can boot back into my existing Win10 OS is to disable Secure Boot then enable CSM Support.

Would I assume that since my OS is installed on an MBR partition that this is the reason Secure Boot does not show any drives?

My Setup:
Gigabyte B360M AORUS Gaming 3 Intel 8th Gen Motherboard
Model   B360M AORUS Gaming 3-CF (U3E1)

BIOS:
Brand   American Megatrends Inc.
Version   F15a
Date   18/08/2020

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6Ghz 9th Gen CPU

RAM:
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz Desktop RAM - Black

Video Card:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card

Hard drives:
Win10 OS installed on:
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB
Model: MZ-V7S250

Data Drive:
WDC WD3001FAEX-00MJRA0

|
+-- JDMils
+-- Gigabyte B360M AORUS Gaming 3 Intel 8th Gen Motherboard
Model   B360M AORUS Gaming 3-CF (U3E1)
Win10
|

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Greetings,
Your system and hardware does meet windows 11 requirements. 

You are correct about needing to enable Secure boot & UEFI.  You cannot do this on a disk formatted MBR.

Search google for mbr2gpt

This is a command line option which can be performed in the WinRE environment.  Nothing special you need to do, except to start the machine in WinRE.  This is found under Settings > Recovery > Advanced Start Up. 

From there, you will run some commands.  mbr2gpt /validate and /convert, then make the changes to your BIOS setting for no CSM, UEFI and Secure boot.

Important  I've seen this go well, and I've seen it not work.  If your disk is packed to capacity and doesn't have adequate free space, the option to convert will fail.  You'll see this when you run the validate option. 

Also note.  I strongly suggest you make a back up of any important data.  If things don't work, you haven't lost anything except some time.

If you have a large disk with multiple partitions, I suggest you convert each one to GPT format. The command will only convert the boot drive unless you tell it otherwise. 

The process itself is not that bad.  Honestly if your install is several years old, a fresh install is preferred.  Thats up to you though.   

Last recommendation.  Worst case, you back up your data and perform a fresh install of W11.  In this scenario, you will use Shift F10 during install to convert the disk to GPT.  This however will destroy all data on the disk, so once again back up your data before you begin if the conversion is not possible.  As long as you have a back up, you have nothing to fear. 
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW