Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite V2 - no POST/BIOS picture

biuro74

Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite V2 - no POST/BIOS picture
« on: October 22, 2021, 07:52:37 am »
Hi,

As per title - when using this motherboard - POST and BIOS picture is being shown at my secondary display which is a TV (connected, but not turned on).
I would think it was a graphic card's video ports enumeration "capability" - this is a Gigabyte GTX 970 - but in my previous MSI P67A-GD65 motherboard it was all correct, I mean a TV was connected, but stayed not turned on  = and POST/BIOS pictures was present at my monitor. I've just done a platform change (mobo/CPU/memory/SSD), rest of components and connections are the same.

My graphic card does have two DVI, one HDMI and 3 DisplayPorts.
Monitor is plugged in using DVI. TV is plugged with HDMI. TV is being used occasionaly for watching movies at night. Windows detects TV as display #1, and monitor as #2, but monitor is set up as primary display (ias previously).

I don't want to mess with changing cables, unplugging HDMI cable and plugging it on demand etc etc. I only want to behave as with previous motherboard :)
Most important - POST/BIOS pictures are important as I'm using rEFInd boot manager, so I simply cannot see now which OS to choose. As you might presume - it is being shown at TV :/

Any thouhgts, please ?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 07:54:00 am by biuro74 »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite V2 - no POST/BIOS picture
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 02:01:39 pm »
Greetings,
The MB's will not perform identically.  P67 vs. B550.  There is a significant difference in technology between the two.  In addition, the BIOS' are also very different.

Curious, does your new Ryzen CPU have an APU or are you 100% dependent on the 970 GPU?

What's happening:
Monitor and display are both connected to your video card.  Both are powered on.  During POST, the video card is outputting to your TV (you would prefer the monitor).  In the case of a modern MB, this is likely the default behavior of the video card, and unlikely it can be changed.

If you power off the TV and boot, does POST appear on your monitor?

If you are using any type of adapters with the DVI or HDMI connections, this might cause unexpected behavior.

Additional options might be available (or limited) depending on what CPU you are running.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 02:10:32 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 07:24:22 pm »
Ok I think what is happening here. You went from non UEFI mother board to a UEFI board. Now the Video card you are using is not really UEFI support. Most all boards by default use UEFI support for everything.

What you have to do is disabled CSM in the bios. What that does it disables all the other UEFI other then the boot part of it.

CSM Support
 Enables or disables UEFI CSM (Compatibility Support Module) to support a legacy PC boot process.
 Disabled      Disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only.
 Enabled      Enables UEFI CSM. (Default)

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

biuro74

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 02:09:31 am »
Thank you for replies.

Curious, does your new Ryzen CPU have an APU or are you 100% dependent on the 970 GPU?
No, it's a CPU, not APU, as mentioned. I realize there are many users that mess with naming convention, but this is a CPU "only".

In the case of a modern MB, this is likely the default behavior of the video card, and unlikely it can be changed.
As mentioned, video card is the same. This is why it leads me to a belief the display order is being set by UEFI - exactly the same way as displays enumeration in any operation system. Because during bootup there's no operating system active, its role is fulfilled by UEFI code at this stage and some mechanism (simplified) must be set to generate POST at some specified display. I don't want to believe engineers can't detect active display :) to put everything on there until proper operating system takes control over the PC, so I rather think they set up the display queue by some (unknown for me) rule. Maybe there are some workarounds - like I have read so far (removing cables from graphic card's sockets, booting up the OS, hard turning off the PC, switching cables back = but this one didn't work for me).
I remember I've tried to resolve an enumeration issue, but from operating system stage few years ago (similar problem, but not exactly the same) - and answers I've received both from Microsoft and nVidia showed they both try to blame each other, but don't even want to resolve it from their own side (that issue, like many others, could be fixed from any side, it just depends on who is willing to do that first). It's why I don't hope Gigabyte would do anything special (like behind the current UEFI options) about it, but I'm looking for some tricks instead... maybe I'll try something like connecting an old HDMI splitter from my drawer & additional HDMI cable which would break a HDCP protection, and enable secure boot to see what happens.

If you power off the TV and boot, does POST appear on your monitor?
It's not an option as I don't want to power off the TV almost all the time and power it on only when I'd like to watch a TV (uncomfortable messing with cables under/behind the desk). I presume it would POST on my monitor, because complete powering off the TV (if I get it correctly = plugging the power cable off the power socket) means lacking the 5V on HDMI, hence TV becomes undetectable.

If you are using any type of adapters with the DVI or HDMI connections, this might cause unexpected behavior.
I know, it's why I'm using "raw" cables.

Replying just turned me into EuP option in BIOS (disabled here by default) - from what I know, different countries treat "standby" mode different way, hence detection anything "standbyed" connected to a PC might be normalized by that option indeed. Let me check :)
... few minutes later - no, it was a blind shot :/ On the occasion I've learned EuP 2013 (MSI) is ErP here, and any combination of ErP with CEC 2019 won't for for me. TV doesn't have any configurable power option (when off) either.

Ok I think what is happening here. You went from non UEFI mother board to a UEFI board.

Thank you sir for explanation of "what is happening here" :) but I assure you my old motherboard was UEFI-compliant as well (BIOSes 4.1 and up, I was using one of these).

What you have to do is disabled CSM in the bios. What that does it disables all the other UEFI other then the boot part of it.
I keep it disabled for long time, sir.

Any other ideas welcome.

Cheers,
Martin
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:55:52 am by biuro74 »

biuro74

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 11:55:16 am »
OK, I curiously switched to CSM and... voila, it works. UEFI OROM for storage boot control = enabled as well, and system starts in UEFI mode. I have no idea why CSM = disabled is "guilty" for this thread, maybe GOP driver has some quirks, and previous motherboard didn't use GOP, hence different display boot chain.

Thanks for replies.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 12:43:11 pm »
Good you figured it out.

Having CSM enabled will not significantly impact the system as its only function is to allow unsigned Legacy option ROM's to run at boot. While slightly less secure, you'll be fine and will have the option of using the TV on demand.   
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 01:56:45 pm »
but I assure you my old motherboard was UEFI-compliant as well (BIOSes 4.1 and up, I was using one of these). 

Yes & NO the MB companies yes gave us the makeshift UEFI bios. But there are nothing like today UEFi motherboards. They didn't really hit market till the Z77 boards having a true UEFI bios.

But glad you got it fix. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.