Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte 890fx UD7 Dual Channel Memory

Gigabyte 890fx UD7 Dual Channel Memory
« on: July 21, 2010, 05:38:11 pm »
Hi everyone i am new to gigabyte just bought my pc with these specs

1.Amd Phenom II x4 965 C3
2.Gskill 2x2 4gb dual channel ram
3.sapphire radeon 4890 1 gb

I am having fun with this new rig all my games are running awesome but only one thing troubles me.

I am having trouble setting dual channel ram right now i am running both 2 gb rams in single channel they work fine no problems but how do i put them in dual channel?.

I tried putting both rams in same color slots but when i start my pc i get 3 long beeps but wen i put both ram in slots 1 and 3 it works fine but single channel.

Is dual channel really better than single channel will i get increased performance in games?

Thank you for your help

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Gigabyte 890fx UD7 Dual Channel Memory
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:41:42 pm »
I think that you may have problems running with dual channel and that processor. I have just recently learnt that it can cause problems if you don't downgrade the memory.
I am sure absic will be along to clarify this for you.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:30:02 pm »
Hi there,

could you post full details of the G skill memory that you are using especially speed, voltage etc.?

Have you made any chagnes to your BIOS settings?

Getting memory to play happily with the Phenom ii CPU's can sometimes be a bit of a challenge, whatever make of motherboard you are using, so please don't expect a quick fix.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:54:12 pm »
Hi there,

could you post full details of the G skill memory that you are using especially speed, voltage etc.?

Have you made any chagnes to your BIOS settings?

Getting memory to play happily with the Phenom ii CPU's can sometimes be a bit of a challenge, whatever make of motherboard you are using, so please don't expect a quick fix.

Ok here is my ram specs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

And no i didnt made any changes to bios or overclocking all are in stock settings

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:57:33 am »
Hi,
First the "good" news and other interested parties please note; your memory is on the QVList so according to Gigabyte it should work.

Enabling Dual channel mode should be done automatically by the Motherboard when you install your RAM into the slots of the same colour.

Have you tried using your RAM in slots 2&4?
Have you tried running with both sticks in the white slots?
Have you tried running with both sticks in the blue slots?
From what you said before I think that you have and that it didn't work but just double checking.

What is your BIOS version?
If it is F1 you might find flashing to F2 will help. (There is F3D available but it is beta so I wouldn't go to that)

If you have tried all the above combinations and the system still won't boot in Dual Channel Mode then I would suggest RMA'ing the Motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 09:56:59 am »
Hi,
First the "good" news and other interested parties please note; your memory is on the QVList so according to Gigabyte it should work.

Enabling Dual channel mode should be done automatically by the Motherboard when you install your RAM into the slots of the same colour.

Have you tried using your RAM in slots 2&4?
Have you tried running with both sticks in the white slots?
Have you tried running with both sticks in the blue slots?
From what you said before I think that you have and that it didn't work but just double checking.

What is your BIOS version?
If it is F1 you might find flashing to F2 will help. (There is F3D available but it is beta so I wouldn't go to that)

If you have tried all the above combinations and the system still won't boot in Dual Channel Mode then I would suggest RMA'ing the Motherboard.

Yea i tried putting my ram on other slots like 2 and 4 but still i get 3 long beeps when i boot my pc.

I tried putting both ram in whitel and blue but still get 3 long beeps.

No i updated my bios to F2 still 3 long beeps the only working placement of my rams ins 1 and 3 only these two slots accept my ram without a problem.

I even tried using just one ram on 2 and 4 slot still it gives 3 long beeps with single ram.

I think it is a slot problem the slot 2 and 4 are not at all accepting my ram only 1 and 3 are accepting.

Is there no other solution other than RMAing the motherboard.?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:58:34 am by Gamer1291 »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:06:40 am »
Is there no other solution other than RMAing the motherboard.?
Not that I can think of.

You have tried putting memory into all of the slots and slots 2&4 won't even accept a single stick. So to be totally honest, with the problems that you are describing, I would RMA the board, as it isn't working the way that it should.