Official GIGABYTE Forum

False/misleading/mysterious BIOS update warnings from AppCenter

nzmike

I run a rig with a Z690 Gaming X DDR4 with Windows 10 x64 and I keep getting false update warnings from the *utterly dreadful* AppCentre app - it often shows me a pop up after restarting the PC saying there is an update but when the app starts there is no indication what the update is for whatsoever!!  If I check the latest BIOS version on the web it's the same as what I have installed so why does this terrible app keep giving me these false warnings? 

If this is a known bug why can't Gigabyte fix this?  Or am I missing something?  I've clicked the other two tabs in the app and no updates show there either.

I have to say that my previous three M/B's have all been Asus and their tools are *light years* better than Gigabyte's ones - to the point that I will not buy another Gigabyte board simply because of the terrible apps that come with it
On my system they don't even appear in the Windows Start menu, I have to go hunting for them every time.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: False/misleading/mysterious BIOS update warnings from AppCenter
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 04:42:02 pm »
I run a rig with a Z690 Gaming X DDR4 with Windows 10 x64 and I keep getting false update warnings from the *utterly dreadful* AppCentre app - it often shows me a pop up after restarting the PC saying there is an update but when the app starts there is no indication what the update is for whatsoever!!  If I check the latest BIOS version on the web it's the same as what I have installed so why does this terrible app keep giving me these false warnings? 

If this is a known bug why can't Gigabyte fix this?  Or am I missing something?  I've clicked the other two tabs in the app and no updates show there either.

I have to say that my previous three M/B's have all been Asus and their tools are *light years* better than Gigabyte's ones - to the point that I will not buy another Gigabyte board simply because of the terrible apps that come with it
On my system they don't even appear in the Windows Start menu, I have to go hunting for them every time.
[/quote

Greetings,
Errors like this might be caused by the region where you live.  For starters.  There is no need for App Center to:

A. Run at start Up
B. Check for updates each and every time it runs

I would:
1. Disable the app from starting when the system boots
2. Change the check for updates option to manual

At some point, this might resolve itself.  Also, like Gigabyte, Asus is not infallible.  If your rig is otherwise stable, enjoy it.  Don't upgrade frequently, especially not the BIOS if things are running smoothly and you aren't trying to address, rectify, add support or resolve a problem you are in fact experiencing.

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 06:47:08 pm »
I would:

If your rig is otherwise stable, enjoy it.  Don't upgrade frequently, especially not the BIOS if things are running smoothly and you aren't trying to address, rectify, add support or resolve a problem you are in fact experiencing.

I have to agree with what Shadowsports is saying. That App center can be a pain in the butt. I don't run mine either. Plus I don't update anything unless I really have too.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

nzmike

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 02:33:36 am »
I would:

If your rig is otherwise stable, enjoy it.  Don't upgrade frequently, especially not the BIOS if things are running smoothly and you aren't trying to address, rectify, add support or resolve a problem you are in fact experiencing.

I have to agree with what Shadowsports is saying. That App center can be a pain in the butt. I don't run mine either. Plus I don't update anything unless I really have too.

Thanks for the advice - I do know I don't have to have it running at startup but I've have been having totally random freezes with my new Z690 Gaming X DDR4/i5-12600k system so have been wanting to get the latest BIOS version as soon as it comes out in the hope that these stop.