Official GIGABYTE Forum

Overclocking MA770T-UD3P + Phenom X6 1055T issues

Overclocking MA770T-UD3P + Phenom X6 1055T issues
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:39:31 am »
  Hello to all Gigabyte users :) As you can see, i am new here - i made a registration, because i need an advice about my system. So i bought an AMD Phenom X6 1055T CPU, changed my board (Asrock 770Extreme 3 was before) with a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P, with hope that it will perform better, because of it's 8+2 phase power supply. Other components i have are : Chieftech 700W PSU, Coolink Corator DS  cpu cooler, Geforce GTX 460...

At first, i installed the processor, cooler and took some tests - everything was OK, some prime 95 stressing at 4050mhz (13.5*300, 2700NB, 1.475V CPU, 1.36V NB, 1.35V CPU-NB), CPU-Z readings didn't show excessive Voltage change - it was going from 1.472 to 1.488.
  After few days, i mean today, i tested again, i dropped the overclock, because the system wasn't stable at prime 95, but even at stock settings (2800mhz, 14*200 @ 1.4V), the voltage went from 1.3 to 1.39V, no matter IDLE or LOAD, wich i don't uderstand!  I already installed aluminium heatsinks and 2 50mm fans at the MOSFETs, because i feared this CPU will overload the motherboard's power supply.

My question is - is this CPU overloading this board, can i expect a 4ghz overclock ? The processor is tested on a 890GX UD5/7 (i don't remeber the exact model) and is working absolutely fine at 4050mhz @ 1.475, so i know i should have bought the better board, but i only had the money for the 770, and i expected decent overclock, because ot the 8+2 phases.   I am running F10 bios version, my board is revision 1.0.

Thanks guys :)
X6|GB770|2x2gb X|GTX460|700W|

bytheway_r

Re: Overclocking MA770T-UD3P + Phenom X6 1055T issues
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:10:59 am »
I have the same board, just a different CPU. I don't know why it shouldn't work, though. Unless Gigabyte used some lower quality parts on this board compared to their more expensive ones.

All that comes to mind, not sure if it would have an effect like this - try touching your NB heatsink. I'm assuming you've kept it stock and on mine it's getting quite darned warm with an x4 @ 2800Mhz. At 3.5Ghz it's almost burning. Now that I look at it, you even increased voltage on the NB for your OC. Mine gets hot with stock volts.

Other than that, you have an 8pin connected to the motherboard, right?

I planned to replace my NB heatsink on Friday, along with PC case and PSU but I'll change my plans for you. I should get the heatsink today and I'll see if replacing the stock one will solve my instability issues. It could be the PSU, GPU or long-term unstable CPU overclock for me, though. My biggest problem is that I don't really have the time to do extensive testing >:(.

update:

Got the heatsink a moment ago. Should have some news by the end of the day. Or, if I'm not online in 2 days time then that'll mean I made some idiot mistake ;D.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:36:54 am by bytheway_r »

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:30:57 pm »
  Thanks for the reply bytheway_r ! Although i mentioned many things, i forgot one or two - the 8 pin power connector is plugged in, that was the first thing i checked, as i was moving the cable management to make room for the two, 6pin PCI-E connectors for the GTX460.
  Also, the NB heatsink is crap indeed - the first thing i did when i got the motherboard was to take off the heatsinks and change the thermal compound - the original one was gone, there was only dry, grey...thing...it was hard work to take it off, used some nail polish remover, so i gave it a good, ceramique one (i have a variety of compounds). Then i noticed that the heatsink is moving quite free on the chip, i put some rings to make it fit stronger, no effect - it remains loose, but it's working (for now). I've put a 50mm fan on it, the difference is quite noticeable - touching the heatsink doesn't burn you finger (as it was without a fan @ stock), even at 300mhz x 9 = 2700NB @ 1.36. My advice to all users - put a fan on these heatsinks, always :)

Now, as for my issue - well i kind of got it - in BIOS setup i disabled the function "Core performance boost", then got the settings overclocked, as i mentioned in my first post and everything worked fine again - the voltage is between 1.472 and 1.488, wich is fine. It's now running prime 95 @ small FFT's, and i hope it's not already burning in flames :) , because i am at work, and this PC is at home...

bytheway_r do you have a Phenom II X4, or an Athlon II X4 ? The deneb core (Phenom II) seems quite clocky, compared to Propus (Athlon II), wich i had and it struggled to make 3.4-3.5ghz, no matter the voltage. With Phenom II, anything below 3.8ghz is a FAIL :P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:34:38 pm by amd_fan »
X6|GB770|2x2gb X|GTX460|700W|

bytheway_r

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:04:56 pm »
Good for you, then! I can see how that could've caused this.

As for me, I'm... tired! It took me like 4hrs to get the damn thing replaced. Let me tell you that the Thermalright HR-05 IFX isn't the perfect choice for this motherboard. It ended up sideways on the chip with one side tight against the CPU heatsink. It was hell on earth getting this thing mounted, especially with a big CPU heatsink as I had hardly any room there. The RAM clip ( or whatever that's called ) nearest to the new NB heatsink had to be left in the "open" position to make enough room for it.

Accidentaly I think I figured out why most people complain of a loose NB heatsink on these boards. Mine was tight against it but when I pressed both push pins at the same time it became loose, too.

I hear what you say about original thermal paste on this thing - it was one of the many problems I've encountered today :P.

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed as it is a Phenom II ;D. It's a x3 720 BE unlocked. It's running at 3.5Ghz, 1.4125v and I'd be quite lucky if it were to reach 3.8Ghz. It's a C2 stepping, too. I'll wait till that new case and PSU arrive and then I'll try to get something more out of it. For the moment it's 4pins instead of 8 on the MB, too :(.