Official GIGABYTE Forum

FCGIGABYTE GA K8NMF - 9 - Please Help!

Lia

FCGIGABYTE GA K8NMF - 9 - Please Help!
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:59:44 pm »
Hello everyone!

I need to make an important question. This is the model of my motherboard: FCGIGABYTE GA K8NMF - 9.
I have had it since 1996.
 I need to know if someone can connect to my stable pc, as part of a local network. Can the equipment on board make any type of connection possible, even if there is no ethernet cable connected to the back of the tower, or a usb?
This is important because, although I have no equipment to connect to the Internet, someone has been accesing my machine. The service of telephony is running and there are a lot of security incidents (control panel) which mention that a successful connection had been performed. It's a type 3 connection (network).
Please help me!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:02:12 pm by Lia »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: FCGIGABYTE GA K8NMF - 9 - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:05:21 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have problems but if you do not connect to the internet in any way from this machine then it must be a local(very near) connection. Do you use any WiFi or wireless connections for anything? Keyboard, mouse? Do you have any bluetooth enabled for anything? For someone to connect to your computer they have to either do it wirelessly or via a wired connection like a lan cable or telephone cable if you have a built in  modem.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:10:50 pm »
Hi,
the only way any outside source can connect to your PC is if you are physically linked through Ethernet, Modem or Wireless or Bluetooth
If your PC is not connected by any of these methods then, as far as I know, there is no way that anybody else can connect to your PC and there is nothing on the motherboard that would allow it either.

The problems on your PC might originate from files that you have copied onto it from an outside source and this is the most likely case.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Lia

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:12:28 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have problems but if you do not connect to the internet in any way from this machine then it must be a local(very near) connection. Do you use any WiFi or wireless connections for anything? Keyboard, mouse? Do you have any bluetooth enabled for anything? For someone to connect to your computer they have to either do it wirelessly or via a wired connection like a lan cable or telephone cable if you have a built in  modem.

Thank you so much for answearing. I am afraid I don't know much about networks and I am trying really hard to figure this out. I have located the house and it's only 100  feet (maybe less) away.
I am not aware of any wifi equipment on my machine. Yet, I got a message which said that there was a new device "Windows Mobile Service" and it was trying to download the relevant software.  If I have a bluetooth, how would I know?
There is no cable.
I might have a built in modem but how can I see that? The mouse and keyboard are not wireless.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:15:17 pm »
There is nothing on your motherboard that would allow it by default so if there is a connection(presumabley wireless) it must be from a "dongle" a piece of equiptment that is plugged into you computer. A bit like a USB pen or similar?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lia

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 04:17:26 pm »
Hi,
the only way any outside source can connect to your PC is if you are physically linked through Ethernet, Modem or Wireless or Bluetooth
If your PC is not connected by any of these methods then, as far as I know, there is no way that anybody else can connect to your PC and there is nothing on the motherboard that would allow it either.

The problems on your PC might originate from files that you have copied onto it from an outside source and this is the most likely case.

I think I have a virus named conficker/kido and they are using it to perform a reverse connection. There is no doubt that someone is hacking my pc. Everytime I start it, they are automatically logged in as well. I have heard them talk about it and they have wrecked a laptop we have four times. Please, it's not just the virus. How can I figure out what equipment is giving them access?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 04:17:35 pm »
Have you got a mobile phone that you have installed software for and connected to your PC?

That could be the reason as they are often Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 04:22:13 pm »
If you have access to the internet form another PC you could download the Malicious Software Removal Tool from Microsoft. That might help clear your system.

You might only be able to download this if your copy of Windows is genuine but here's a link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en

I should say that this version can be downloaded on one PC and moved via a usb drive to the infected computer. You don't have to connect the infected PC to the internet.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:23:19 pm by absic115 »

Lia

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 04:22:38 pm »
Have you got a mobile phone that you have installed software for and connected to your PC?

I have copied stuff from the pc to my mobile before, using a wire comming with the mobile. How can this be permanent on the pc for future use. How does this work? Does it need for my mobile to be on for that to happen?

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 04:23:06 pm »
I think I have a virus named conficker/kido and they are using it to perform a reverse connection. There is no doubt that someone is hacking my pc. Everytime I start it, they are automatically logged in as well. I have heard them talk about it and they have wrecked a laptop we have four times. Please, it's not just the virus. How can I figure out what equipment is giving them access?

A laptop is much easier to accesss in general because most do us wireless connectivity for the internet/lan. You other machine is quite old and so doesn't have that capability. The only thing is if someone managed to physically access your computer and install something. Are you running up to date anti virus software etc?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lia

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 04:24:25 pm »
A laptop is much easier to accesss in general because most do us wireless connectivity for the internet/lan. You other machine is quite old and so doesn't have that capability. The only thing is if someone managed to physically access your computer and install something. Are you running up to date anti virus software etc?
[/quote]

I am running an antivirus but since I do not connect to the Internet, I can not keep up.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 04:25:51 pm »

I have copied stuff from the pc to my mobile before, using a wire comming with the mobile. How can this be permanent on the pc for future use. How does this work? Does it need for my mobile to be on for that to happen?

Your phone would have to be conected to your PC to enable anyone to access the data but it is impossible when itis disconnected. However it doesn't take long for the data to be transmitted. Therefor if you connect your phone with bluetooth enabled it could be hacked.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 04:26:32 pm »

You only need to have connected a few times, through your Mobile, for your PC to have become infected. It isn't connecting every time you switch your PC on but it is running and the OS thinks that it is connecting. When you do connect your Mobile phone then it will try to connect again, to the outside world.

Lia

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 04:26:40 pm »
Someone having accessed my house is very possible. So, something has been added and I am trying to fing what it is. I think it could be something to do with my mobile.

Lia

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 04:27:45 pm »
You only need to have connected a few times, through your Mobile, for your PC to have become infected. It isn't connecting every time you switch your PC on but it is running and the OS thinks that it is connecting. When you do connect your Mobile phone then it will try to connect again, to the outside world.
[/quote]

Please tell me how I could stop this.