Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890FXA-UD5: No post (power error)

Re: GA-890FXA-UD5: No post (power error)
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 07:47:07 pm »
Was running in unganged mode - I won't lie, I really dunno the difference between ganged and unganged xD It was a system default so I let it be. I guess I was hoping there was some little gem of a trick I hadn't tried yet to get this bastard back up and running.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 07:58:14 pm »
Not that I can think of, sorry :'(
Unganged or ganged is just the same as single or dual channel modes. AMD recommend unganged or single channel. I don't think there is anything to do but RMA the board but if my colleague absic is watching he is the AMD magician and may have some idea.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 08:20:22 pm »
Seems strange that 2 similar systems can fall over like this and the obvious thing is to look for common elements to try and pinpoint the cause of the problem.

The problem could be caused by the CPU and I have noticed a couple of things, whilst trawling the net, where the Memory Controller on some of the Phenom ii CPU's has been the problem so don't ignore this as a possible cause. If possible try a different CPU just to confirm that the problem lies elsewhere.

Without having your hardware in front of me I can't really say what is wrong so sorry, but all I have are some questions:
What HDD(s) are you using?
Are you running your HDD's  in IDE, RAID or AHCI?
Have you any other hardware installed in the PCIe or PCI slots?
Have you checked your keyboard and mouse are OK? (If they are wireless try swapping for PS2 or USB model)

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 08:33:21 pm »
@ absic

I'm currently using 2 SATA HDD's, specs are below:

My OS drive is a Seagate 500gb drive, Momentus 7200.4,
My secondary drive (storage/media) is a 320gb Seagate Barracude 7200.10

Both drives had been running in IDE mode. There is no other hardware installed in the PCIe/PCI slots. I'm currently using the same keyboard to type this message, and have also been using the same mouse (working on a backup laptop). I do have another phenom in the house but it's of the original Phenom x4 line, and I haven't looked around to see if I could pop it into an AM3 board without problems. I'm leaning towards it maybe being a RAM issue, but only because most of the googling I've done on the 11-beep-code seems to suggest it's a RAM issue. I also tried a little bit more troubleshooting, completely disconnected the Mobo from any source of power, hit clear CMOS button, threw the clear CMOS jumper on for about 5 seconds, pulled out the ram and CPU and video card (basically tore this mofo apart). I'm still getting the 11 beeps!

I don't expect anyone here to have a magic fix at this point - However, if this starts to become an issue for other people with similar setups (or mobo's, specifically), it'd be nice to have as much info available as possible.

So, should I RMA the board or the ram? Or both, since I just got this stuff earlier this week from NewEgg?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 08:48:49 pm »
The problem is that it could be the CPU as the memory controller is part of that rather than on the motherboard.

If your old CPU is AM2 or AM2+ you can't fit that to an AM3 board but, if you have an old AM2 or AM2+ board you could, if the BIOS has been updated to accept it, put an AM3 CPU into that. (It maybe a way of checking if the CPU is OK if you have an old AM2(+) board & DDR2 RAM)

If you got all the parts from Newegg it would be better to return the RAM, CPU & Motherboard and ask if they can check all of them.

Just as a thought I haven't seen through this thread which BIOS version you were using and I can't see it mentioned by the OP.
Before the problem occurred had you updated it at all?
What version were/are you using?
I notice that the F2 & F3 version both address CPU compatibility and memory OC ability.

By the way the reason I wondered about your HDD's is that sometimes the so called "green" models can cause problems.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07:31 pm »
When I first put the mobo in, it was using the F2 bios. That same day (last tuesday), I flashed to F4 just to be sure it was as up to date as possible (i'm somewhat OCD about that, even though it probably wasn't necessary). RMAing the whole set seems like a safe bet, so good suggestion there, i'll prolly do that.

I'm gonna pop this processor into my AM2/AM2+ board and see what happens...With any luck, AMD hasn't failed me as a CPU manufacturer! I only say that because I have never had any trouble whatsoever with AMD CPU's before, the things are tanks.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »
I have built over 100 rigs using AMD processors and I have yet to have one cause a problem. But that doesn't mean there can't be a problem there.

If everything was working fine before the BIOS update, I would be looking at that as the probable cause, but again, it is very hard to prove.

RMA'ing the kit, although annoying, should give an indication of what's gone wrong and it has the advantage of saving you from pulling out too much of your hair.

Let us know how you get on.

Darby

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 02:00:33 am »
Just to comment on the memory controller thought, I tested to run the system with only the CPU connected and got the same beep-code. I also reassembled my old system and the Phenom II X4 ran perfectly on my old mobo. I however couldn't the system to boot at all on the Gigabyte. I sent the retailer an email about an RMA but will get an answer earliest monday.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 08:12:55 am »
In that case it seems to prove the bad board theory and the RMA was the right way to go.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 06:41:54 am »
Amazingly I found this thread.  It seems with me included, there are three of us with the same issue within a couple days.  Same troubleshooting and same effect.

System stats are:
AMD Phenom II 1090T      Giga 890FXA-UD5
Corsair TX750W                Patriot 1333 Gseries DDR3
Kingston 64 Gig SSD         WD 1TB Black

(Although it never made it to the drives nor have I hooked them up to T/S this.  Worst part is, this is my second UD5 as I had just RMA'd one due to another issue.  The new board fixed that issue but created this one.)

I'm gathering most are attempting to RMA the board and CPU.  I do hear CPU's are harder to turn back in though. Just figured I'd post for reference sake and let me know if anyone's get's fixed by whatever method.  Appreciate the time.

V/R

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:42:53 am by genyx_04 »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 07:38:17 am »
Thanks for the post the more inforamtion on these things the better, but let us not lose sight of the fact that millions of these boards are made and only a handfull with problems are ever posted about on these forums. When you are on here all the time it can seem like it is a massive problem building up but this is not the reality. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Darby

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 12:56:20 pm »
Bad new from the clinic, I just got the result of the error diagnosis done by the store. They couldn't find any faults and the mobo worked fine with two different setups and they've sent it back to me (they were even nice not to charge me with the "if-theres-not-a-problem"-cost. That seems to comfirm (in my case at least) that the CPU is the problem, which is weird because it's on the CPU Support list for the rev. 2.0.

I'm now considering buying a new CPU (X6) to have some use of the parts, however I'm not sure if that is the right way to go, spending even more money...

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 01:01:47 pm »
Yes your CPU is on the support list.
Can you RMA the CPU?
It should be covered by AMD's Warranty which, I think is 3 years. Annoying, I know, but probably a cheaper option.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:02:53 pm by absic115 »

Darby

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 01:25:30 pm »
Same store but yes, I could probably RMA it. However it has been in a small cooling paste accident earlier where cooling paste got stuck under the CPU between the pins.That could probably cause the problem in the first place but as I said earlier the CPU runs fine on my old mobo. And I don't think they will find any faults with it which means that this time I need to pay them for sending in a fully working part for RMA.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »
Did you send them the CPU when you returned the motherboard?

It might be worthwhile getting in touch with the supplier again, explaining the problem you are having and sending them the board, RAM and CPU to see if they can get it working for you. Still cheaper than a new CPU and, if they can't get it working they should be able to pinpoint the problem and correct it or advise you where you have gone wrong if everything is OK.

With regard to the thermal paste that may have accidentally got onto the CPU pins. You could try cleaning the pins with a small piece of kitchen towel and a little alcohol. I usually use Isopropanol (IPA) alcohol, the trick is just be careful not to use too much alcohol and not to be too rough when wiping the pins.