Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA790X-UD3P unlock Phenom x2 555 Black Edition

GA-MA790X-UD3P unlock Phenom x2 555 Black Edition
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:37:26 pm »
Hi

I've just got myself a GA-MA790X-UD3P and a Phenom x2 555 Black edition.
Have tried to unlock with the usual settings (acc on + Hybrid)
All that happens when i do is the system wont Post, just turns itself off and i need to do a cmos clear to get it back on.
Tried with Bios Rev F4 and the latest F7a but the same issues. I am aware that it may just be my bad luck and the CPU is a duffer.
Was wondering if there are a few other things i could try before i give up. Have read dropping the HT link to 1600 can help?
Or is there a way to try unlocking a core at a time, not just all 4?
Any help with this would be brilliant. Thanks in advance

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA790X-UD3P unlock Phenom x2 555 Black Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:48:28 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Not too sure of the latest options in BIOS with your Motherboard I'm afraid but Under M.I.T. there should be a heading saying: Advanced Clock Calibration.
The Option to unlock cores is normally tucked away in there and is set to AUTO (locked) by default. If it is available it will normally give you the option of unlocking one or both locked cores.

EDIT: Just double checked on the download page for your motherboard and the update for F6 says it has added the CPU Core Control Option. If you haven't tested this BIOS then I would suggest that you do so as it may have been removed again in the F7A version.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:13:24 pm by absic115 »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 02:24:07 pm »
Been in and changed options - EC firmware - auto and ACC - auto, cant remember seeing any option to control cores other than the values for each
-12% to +12%.
At work just now so cant check.
Would changing the values on core 2+3 to -12% do any good?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:41:48 pm »
Would changing the values on core 2+3 to -12% do any good?
Sorry, I really don't know the answer to that and your guess will be as good as mine. (I have never had a CPU with locked cores so I haven't played with this feature.) Pulling these back might allow the system to boot and I don't think it will do any harm as all this does, I believe, is reduce or increase the frequency of the adjusted Cores.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:06:12 am »
Had a look last night and tried a few settings, none worked. think my chip is unlockable.
Ive read on some other forums that peopel have managed to unlock just 1 core on this motherboard, but i cant find out how.

Is there anywhere i can ask if this option will be added to future BIOS? i see with soem other gigabyte boards reading on here that the option to individually turn on cores has been added.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:57 am »
Hi,

Did you try the F6 BIOS? Download here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3107&dl=1#bios

That does say: "Add CPU Core Control option" so it should be available, even if the locked cores don't work.
Although I do not have your exact Mobo and I have an X6 CPU, as you can see from the following images, if you are in the right section of BIOS, the option should be there.

NOTE: For safety reasons the main core of the CPU will always remain locked.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:27 am »
Thanks for that, ill giev it a try when i get home tonight.
Just seems strange they would add that in F6 then remove for F7?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:38 am »
Ah the mysteries of the BIOS updates. It does seem strange that they would add the control option only to remove it again in the next update but sometimes these things slip through the net and it is only when users raise a query that it is noticed.

It is one of the many reasons that Flashing BIOS shouldn't be undertaken lightly for, although an update might fix a known issue, it can often result in other features being lost.

Hopefully you will be OK with the F6 BIOS but, if you still have problems let us know.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:03:06 pm »
Hi,

I flashed to the F6 Bios, but i dont get the option per core (enabled), just the same as you have up the top half - the old % adjust

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 09:35:20 am »
I cant find this core control otpion anywhere with F6. have they forgot to add it lol?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:54:23 am »
I think the best bet would be to raise the issue with GTS here: http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/tech.asp?ClassID=2&Country=U.K.&SourceWeb=B2C and see if they can say why it's missing.

It could be that you are unable to unlock the cores on your CPU that's why it isn't appearing, but it does seem strange especially as they say they have added that option to the F6 BIOS.

Another option would be to contact AMD Technical support and ask them about unlocking your CPU. As you are in the UK you can actually get through to their Tech Department and talk to one of their gurus which can be really helpful. I've sent you a PM with their contact details in case you want to go down this route.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 10:03:52 am »
Been reading so many forums on this. Was wondering if you need to have - hybrid and acc on auto, then reboot before it shows core control?
If it does then i dont think ill get that as i cant post when i have those settings.

looking at your screenshots it doesnt seem as though thats the case

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:28 am »
Hi,

Sorry but I don't have your Mobo or CPU to do a proper test but just applied the settings you mentioned in your post with my rig and when I pressed F10 and saved to BIOS I got a BIG red warning saying that EC Firmware was being updated DO NOT switch off the PC.

The PC then automatically shutdown for about 10 seconds and then rebooted.

I still have basically the same options as I had previously and I can still Disable or Enable the cores on my CPU. I can also, still switch to Manual for adjusting the ACC.

Don't know if this helps or not.

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 10:56:02 am »
I get that whenever i change from Normal to hybrid.
But no other options regarding disabling cores.
Just the Core value settings there + - % options

Strange its not there, when the download page has it listed for F6

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 10:59:49 am »
Sorry, but apart from contacting GTS or AMD as I said in my earlier post, I have no solution to offer.