Official GIGABYTE Forum

BOOT MGR MISSING

Ace07

• AMD all the way
BOOT MGR MISSING
« on: May 26, 2009, 07:59:32 pm »
Hey all,

Need some help as this is doing my head in and I cant find the solution. I have a GA-MA78GPM-DS2H Motherboard, AMD Phenom 9850 X4 CPU 8GB OCZ 1000 MHz ( PC2-8000 ) Memory Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit X2 500GB SATA HDD X2 250GB SATA HDD X2DVD Re-Writes IDE X1DVD Re-Write SATA X1 Floppy Drive. Every now and then when I come back to the computer I get a message displaying bootmgr missing CTRL ALT DEL restart. I have not shut down the computer it's always running never off and it like the computer has restarted from some strange reason when I haven't told it to. I have changed the Battery for the COMS and still there is no change. The only thing I do know is that upon this happing the only way I can get the computer to boot again is by unplugging all the HDD apart from one the C Drive with the OS installed on starting the computer back up then shuting down then reconnected all my other HDD then it's fine again.

Any ideas on this matter would be great

Thanks

Ace07

Re: BOOT MGR MISSING
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:02:08 pm »
Go into the BIOS, go into Advanced and change boot priority to HDD, CD-ROM, Disabled. Then go into HDD boot priority and set so that it only boots from your selected HDD. If after that, it still does it, then your "Boot.ini" is damaged, put your windows disk in and do a "repair" install to your PC and it should sort it.

~Bex

Ace07

• AMD all the way
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 05:44:29 pm »
Hey,

Thanks for the reply however this make no difference to the problem that I'm having. I have the computer set in the BIOS as booting from the HDD first and the main HDD so that is all correct. However what happens when the boot mgr goes missing is the HDD with the OS installed in no longer showing any where including the BIOS. The only way to get it back is to unplug all HDD apart from the One with the OS then restart leaving the other X3 HDD unplugged from the computer to boot back up and then show the HDD with the OS again. Windows will then boot I can then shut down reconnect all HDD that were still unplugged then boot again and all fine windows is still there. Can go away from the computer still working away and all fine when left it come back and it be back at the screen boot mgr missing ???. This doesnt do it all the time just now and again. But I need to see what is causing it. I'm Sure it's not HDD related as I would be have problems with the HDD and that is not happing no read or write error chkdsk all fine no errors to report, Memory is brand new check with memory test all fine. Stress test the lot for 24 hours with AMD Overdrive no problems with Memory CPU the lot. So this is leaving me to think is a problems with the motherboard COMS possibly ???   

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 01:57:09 pm »
Although chkdsk says there are no errors, have you tried using the manufacturers official hdd diagnostics? Tried upgrading to latest BIOS?
Definatly not a Windows problem if the HDDs arent even showing up in the BIOS
There's no place like ::1

Pottypete

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 11:42:02 pm »
Hi, Ace07.
Had a simular problem a while ago,
BACK UP NOW all your data from that drive,
I never did and lost the lot, big mistake :'(
Twas a hard disk having a hicup, maxtor ???
The cost of a new drive is peanuts these days, check with hdd manufactures diagnosics and RMA it,
Best of luck 8)

Ace07

• AMD all the way
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:58:11 pm »
Thanks for you help with this one I can confirm it was the HDD that was faultly pain in the butt would never of come with that on a 6 month old HDD.

Beekeeper

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 04:08:15 pm »
just for my curiosity if you could provide what was brand and model of your faulty HDD
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

Pottypete

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 06:52:01 pm »
Hi Ace07,
Nice one hope you saved your data 8)
Come on, tell the drive make ;D
Happy endings are great 8)

Ace07

• AMD all the way
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 04:58:23 pm »
Hey all,

The Hard Drive was a Maxtor Diamondmax 22 Sata 2 3Gb/s 500GB 32mb Cache Lucky for me yes I did have a back up  ;D

However the back up of the hard drive I had was on another Maxtor HDD the same as the above and this completely failed on me. Had to send that back and get that replaced under warranty and yes I have lost all the data  >:(

So just a word of warning to some of you's I know I tend to listen to people and their problems with computer part Maxtor I would be careful with after my experience with the 2 HDD. But then again I have a Seagate HDD the now which was sent to me in place of one of the Maxtor that failed. It tells you on the label that it's a certified re-condition HDD. Was running a S.M.A.R.T report on it the other day and noticed for a reasonable new HDD to me and re-condition HDD that overall fitness for this drive is 92%. & The overall performance for this drive is 92%. To me that's not the best for a HDD that's not even a month old, even know they say that it's a certified re-condition HDD.

Regards

Ace07

Beekeeper

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 03:49:25 pm »
Hi Ace07

yes SMART is a nice and useful feature. you can even enable it inside MB's bios also, this way on every boot it will be checked by MB, no need for any additional software
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

Ace07

• AMD all the way
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:30:50 pm »
Hi Ace07

yes SMART is a nice and useful feature. you can even enable it inside MB's bios also, this way on every boot it will be checked by MB, no need for any additional software
Well for any software to read the S.M.A.R.T you need to ensure that it is enabled in the BIOS the only problem is it doesnt give you all the info that you can get from http://www.hddstatus.com Best to install speedfan then run the perform an in-depth online analysis from the smart tab to get the info from that site give it a try
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:32:51 pm by Ace07 »

Pottypete

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 12:19:28 am »
Hi ace07 that link don't work for me, using FF or IE,
Can you check link please,
Nice find ;D

Ace07

• AMD all the way
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 05:09:14 pm »
Hi ace07 that link don't work for me, using FF or IE,
Can you check link please,
Nice find ;D

Your need to install speedfan for this to work. Which can be found here http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php  then go to the S.M.A.R.T tab then select the hard drive you want to check from the list if you have more than One (Make sure that S.M.A.R.T is enabled in the BIOS and then in push the button that says  perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard drive. If you are running Vista some version require you to run speedfan as an administrator to allow the HDD to show in the S.M.A.R.T tab such as mine. Any problems hust post and I will help out as musch as I can