Official GIGABYTE Forum

Fit darn you, fit!

Fit darn you, fit!
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »
Hello there!

I'll just get straight to the question, or rather, to my problem:
My 8800 nvidia card doesn't fit in the computer I wish to use (the processor in the computer in which it does fit is only 2.2ghz, the processor of the computer I wish to use is 3.4ghz).
In the computer with the 3.4ghz I currently have a 6800 card.
The 8800 card doesn't fit because it's too long, it hits the cable going from the power supply to the motherboard.

Now, rather than buying a new motherboard I'm thinking I'll just get a new graphics card (and, while I'm at it, get a graphics card that's better than the 8800 of course).

Question is, how do I know it'll fit? I've tried to find info on how long the 6800 is so that I know what'll fit, but I can't find it anywhere. And I also need to know how long the cards I'm looking to get are, but I can't find any info on that either.

As I'm sure you guys have already noticed I'm not the most computer-literate person around, so please, try to keep the terms somewhat easy ;)

Oh and, while I'm at it, is there any way to find out what exact make and model the motherboard + processor is without opening up the case and getting the magnifying glass + torchlight out?
Thanks in advance!
/Jennifer

Re: Fit darn you, fit!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:34 pm »
Your motherboard isn't the problem unless you're trying to plug it into the wrong slot.... Also 3.4ghz? Unless it's overlocked that's only going to be a single core I imagine.

Sadly all modern cards as this length. What case do you have? Try fitting the card first, the plug the cable in from the inside. Try and move anything that is getting in it's way (eg. the Antec P180's need to have the HDD holder removed fromt he caddy)

Failing that, there's not a lot you can do other than buy a card where the power connecters are on the side, not end. Personally, if you can't fit it as is then you might want to invest in another case. Cards get a fair bit bigger after the 8800GT.

Download CPUZ, this will identify the CPU, RAM and motherboard. I suggest you do this for both so we know that the PC your trying to swap it into is the better choice  ;)

~Bex

RuiPereira

• Who goes there?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:29:51 pm »
Hello Scabbers,

Another way to check what motherboard you have is right in the beginning, just as you start/boot your PC.
It should look something like GA-xxxx-xxx

Regarding the VGA card, like Elemental_Dragon said, its not the motherboard that is the problem, this is mainly due to the case.

Try to give us the model name of the motherboard, perhaps you still have the box! or an invoice that lists the model name or a manual or you could contact the reseller and ask them if they know.
Just a few suggestions   :P

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 02:05:52 pm »
on the POST screen (the one you will see just on the very beginning) the model name is without "GA". you should see sth like this:

if it displays and disappears too quick just press Pause key to hold it
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:08:04 am by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:02:38 pm »
There's a pause key?

~Bex

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:53:51 pm »
There's a pause key?

~Bex

Yes, is near my page up key on my pc keyb and near backspace on my laptop
There's no place like ::1

m00se

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:05:22 pm »
I assume you have a HTPC-case or otherwise a case with the power supply mounted under the motherboard.
I'm not sure I understand your problem exactly, but can't it be solved with power-supply extension cables? These are difficult to find, I admit, but they do exist:

For example:
http://www.sundialmicro.com/Power-Supply-Extension-Cable-sstpp04_1963_1066.html