Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA790XT-UD4P: Not booting

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-MA790XT-UD4P: Not booting
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 01:55:56 pm »
Try clearing the CMOS first and then retry booting.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least ten minutes before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Opimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA790XT-UD4P: Not booting
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 02:17:00 pm »
Just thought I ought to update this thread and explain what has happened.

Having gone through all of the procedures and tests we requested and after a telephone conversation between alexr114 and myself, I advised him to RMA the motherboard as I believed it was faulty.

The motherboard was returned to Gigabyte UK where some damage was discovered to be on the reverse of the motherboard near the CPU area and was deemed unrepairable with any guarantee of success.

The damage appears to have been made when alexr114 tried swapping the stock cooler mount for the one required by the H50 he wanted to install, possibly by over tightening the mountings or when trying to remove the adhesive strips required by this cooler the result was stated by Gigabyte to be: "4 lines of wiring are non repairable on the PCB"

Sadly, for alexr114, because he caused the damage, the warranty became void and his RMA was declined and it is an expensive lesson to any of us who decide to make alterations to our  cooling options. Be careful when it comes to replacing any of the stock cooling or other components on your motherboard as, despite the robustness of Gigabyte motherboards, being heavy handed or over tightening fittings can and sometimes does cause irreparable damage.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:22:52 pm by runn3R »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.