Official GIGABYTE Forum

Why won't my Marvell controller switch to AHCI?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Why won't my Marvell controller switch to AHCI?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 12:53:47 pm »
Yes, I tried all methods of getting AHCI to run stably on the Marvell Controller but, I'm not running an SSD and I don't know if that makes a difference.

Before you ask, yes the HDD's are capable of running with AHCI and with mechanical HDD's I think that there isn't really much to gain from AHCI unless you want the Hot Swap capabilities which I don't.

When I originally installed the OS in AHCI mode the system was unstable and would hang or crash depending on what I was doing, not good if I was trying to record something. However, I haven't tried again recently and it might be worthwhile trying it out again with my current configuration, which is just a single HDD on the Marvell controller just to see if that makes a difference. But, being totally honest, I'm getting a bit bored of reconfiguring my system trying to resolve so many issues with the Marvell controller for so little gain.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 02:27:35 pm »
OK,
Just tried AHCI mode again, using the registry tweak rather than a clean install. Rebooted and Windows reported that the drivers loaded. Rebooted and PC hung at the Loading Windows Screen. Forced a re-start and PC started OK but as soon as I tried to open my web browser the system hung and I had to re-start.

Restarted, and checked in Device Manager which reported everything was OK. Double checked the Driver Dialog which stated that no drivers were installed under Device Status. However the Driver is shown as:
Driver Provider:  Marvell Semiconductor Inc.
Driver Date: 23/10/2009
Driver Version: 1.0.0.1027

After restarting tried to run CrystalMark. System hung, once again, and the only option was to force a restart.

Tried rebooting, system once again hung when I tried to open a web browser.

Rebooted in Safe Mode and reverted to IDE settings

System now in IDE mode on the Marvell Controller and stable and happy again!

So my conclusion has to be that the Marvell Controller, on my motherboard, doesn't like AHCI mode!

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 02:42:57 pm »
When I originally tried the AHCI mode I had almost the same issues, not quite as bad but definitely unstable. Also from the tests that I did manage to do it didn't seem to be exceptionally faster.
I would be interested to see what your figures are Lsdmeasap if you have the time sometime. Although unless I can get a stable platform they are irrelevant.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 03:46:20 pm »
YOu guys may be on to something, I mean it may be terrible with normal hard drives?   Not sure, I've only ran SSD's on it.

And from what absic115 just said I can see why he is having issues, the Marvell driver is terrible and causes all kinds of freezes ans stalls.

You need to do a clean install, without loading ANY drivers so that MSAHCI is loaded, I know none of that is worth it for you guys, but it would be the only way you can do it now as it seems the way you setup the OS install it's going to fail when trying to switch.

I'll do some tests for you guys later today, it will be with C300 though, but you should still be able to get some idea of what gains you might get with the change.  I'm not sure how big of a difference it really makes as I haven't checked on the Marvell controller, but I know it's a pretty hefty difference on the Intel controller.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 03:52:28 pm »
To be totally honest Lsdmeasap, I have also tried a clean install with the same results.

I'm no newbie and I have tried everything I can think of, the only thing that comes to mind is it could be the Western Digital SATA3 6GB/s HDD being the cause of all these problems. I don't believe that using a SATA3 drive on the SATA3 Marvell controller should cause so many issues though.

I might re-try installing the OS with a Samsung SATA2 HDD I have, just to see if it makes any difference but I won't hold my breath.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »
You are probably right then, it may be the drive itself?

No need for you guys to worry about this, I was just surprised to hear you both mention running IDE mode.   I forgot the instant I heard you say it, that you both know what you are doing, so I'm sure you tested every possible scenario.

I'll post up some results later today anyway, just for giggles and so that in case I am ever asked I can refer to here.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 04:00:30 pm »
You are probably right then, it may be the drive itself?

I am running the same pair of WD SATA3 drives as absic, so maybe that is why we have the same problem. Both of us wanted to run them as RAID0 on the Marvell ports for the fastest possible throughput, until we leant that it was impossible :'(
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 04:10:57 pm »
Ya I thought you guys were, and that's what struck me as odd with you both running IDE mode.

Tests going down now, will report shortly!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:11:41 pm by Lsdmeasap »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 04:19:46 pm »
Just started installing Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate onto a Samsung SATA2 HDD on the Marvell Controller in AHCI Mode. No AHCI drivers needed and install is currently running OK.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »
Ahh, so it may indeed be the drives you guys have then!

Results coming, uploading images now

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 05:00:26 pm »
Actually, much larger difference than I expected!

Sequential Read/Write takes a hit in IDE mode, mostly reads.   But when it comes to 4K multi-threaded Read/Writes AHCI mode destroys IDE mode, IDE results are dismal at best!

Click to Enlarge

IDE - pciide

AHCI - MSAHCI

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:02:10 pm by Lsdmeasap »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 05:01:30 pm »
I've got to get me an SSD!

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 05:04:05 pm »
If you think those are good scores, check out how those SSD's actually do in SATAII RAID 0, over 1000 in AS SSD
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Marvell-Vs-ICH10R-Vs-Highpoint-640-Single-RAID/m-p/18454

Had the record here for a while for RAID 0 @ 1066 in AS SSD, but have been beaten by a PCIE SSD + 4xSSD  beast now though!
http://www.overclock.net/ssd/754763-ssd-benchmark-thread.html

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:06:02 pm by Lsdmeasap »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 05:05:13 pm »
 :'( :'( :'(

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 05:07:04 pm »
You should sell your drives and get a SSD!!

I haven't seen how those perform at all, but I haven't heard anything great either so that isn't a very good sign  :(