Official GIGABYTE Forum

ATI HD4650 Hanging on POST

ATI HD4650 Hanging on POST
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »
Hi,

I have just recently bought a Gigabyte HD 4650 1gb graphics card to update my pc, but after I have inserted the card in to the machine the machine will not get past  POST.

I am running win xp sp3 and my motherboard is a MSI PT8 Neo-V

So any idea's why this is happening, I have tried the card on another machine and it runs perfectly so I know the card isn't faulty.
If any one knows of any non compatability with this board please let me know as I am getting to the point of Flashing my Bios but I really don't want to as I work very heaverly on my machine and if I muck up the bios I will be in a lot of trouble.

Any help greatly appreciated Thanks.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: ATI HD4650 Hanging on POST
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:24:35 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about your motherboard but it could well be that it's BIOS needs updating to recognise the card. If you go ahead make sure that you use the DOS based utility or whatever they use on MSI and not the Windows based program as they are far more troublesome. I take it that you have the power connection to the card in place. Actually before you do that try just clearing the CMOS and then loading the BIOS optimised defaults and see if that helps.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:29:24 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:32:30 pm »
Hi thanks for the welcome and the quick reply :)

Yeah I have had the power plugged in and I also have a 600 w power pack. It is a old motherboard and I have never flashed the bios so it's still in the same state as it was when I bought it.

If flashing is the only route to go do you know of a way to do it with out using a floppy 3.5"  all of the tutorials say this is the way to go?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:37:23 pm »
Yes we always advise using a USB pendrive. I will copy the information we give to users but obviously you will have to adapt soem of it to your MSI board. Hope this helps.

The first thing to do is go to the Gigabyte wesite and find the "Support and Downloads" section(http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/support-downloads.aspx).
Select your motherboard and revision number which can be found printed on the bottom left corner of the motherboard. Click on the "BIOS" tab. This will take you to the BIOS versions download page.The newest BIOS versions are at the top of the page. Click on your region under the "Download Here" section heading. A dialogue box will then pop up asking what you want to do with this file. Click on "save" and note where you are saving it to.

Take a USB pendrive and make sure it is formatted with a FAT32 file system. If the file ends with .exe run it, or if it is a zip file Unzip it, and save the files (usually contains 3 files) that you just expanded to the Boot sector or a folder of your choice on this drive and insert the pendrive into a USB port.

Re-boot.

Press the"End" key as the computer is POSTing and you will be taken into the BIOS flashing utility "Q-Flash". From there just follow the prompts to find your file and DO NOT TURN OFF THE POWER under any circumstances. It will look for the pendrive with the file on it and use that to update the BIOS. One thing to note is that the pendrive may show up as a floppy or hard disk instead of a USB drive. Once it has completed you can reboot. Believe me it is not as difficult as it sounds.

We have since found out that the problem with getting some motherboards to "see" the USB drive is a case of using as small a drive as possible, well at least under 2Gb, and even then some will be seen and some won't. Just a matter of luck.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:46:09 pm »
NIce thanks for the info, will do this soon and hopefully will stop the problem, I'll post the end result either way.