Official GIGABYTE Forum

Will triple channel DDR3 work well in a Gigabyte 890XA UD3 MB with a 1055T ?

Hi again everyone!

I found a fairly good deal at Mwave for some DDR 3 RAM 1333Mhz. After using a $5 coupon, I can purchase these 2GB sticks of RAM for only $22.97 per stick.

I am not sure if Triple Channel RAM will work in my various motherboards. I have an AMD set up using this: Gigabyte 890XA UD3 MB with a 1055T. I think this is dual channel RAM, but not sure.

I also have the i5-750 set up as listed below:

Intel i5-750
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
WD Caviar Black 500 GB 7200 RPM
Maxtor 1TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL7D
Enermax Infiniti Ein720AWT 720W Modular PSU
Cool Master Sniper Black Edition
PNY 9800 GTX+ 512MB
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series CH50
LG DVD Reader/Writer
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Will this Avexir AVD3U13330902G-1S Standard Series 2GB (2GB x1) 240-pin PC3-10700 DDR3 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 DIMM desktop memory module work well in either of these systems?

Will Triple Channel work in boards designed for Two Channel?

Thanks,

Soar

PS Oh, I found the deal here: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA42042&pagetitle=Avexir%20AVD3U13330902G-1S%20Standard%20Series%202GB%20(2GB%20x1)%202
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:05:23 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

As the sticks are being sold individually and not in matched sets I can't see a reason why they won't work on the AMD system at default settings  but I have no experience with them so couldn't say for certain. You would need to get hold of either 2 or 4 sticks though as the AMD is only Dual Channel. I have, however, used 2 sticks out of a triple channel kit on the AMD platform and had no problems so I know it can be done.

There shouldn't be a problem on your Intel system though.

Only thing you need to bear in mind is that these RAM modules are not on the QVL for Gigabyte so they haven't been tested. This doesn't mean that they won't work only that you probably won't get much help from GTS if you run into a problem.

As they say: "You pays your money, you takes your choice".
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:19:17 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Hi Soar,

As the sticks are being sold individually and not in matched sets I can't see a reason why they won't work on the AMD system at default settings  but I have no experience with them so couldn't say for certain. You would need to get hold of either 2 or 4 sticks though as the AMD is only Dual Channel. I have, however, used 2 sticks out of a triple channel kit on the AMD platform and had no problems so I know it can be done.

There shouldn't be a problem on your Intel system though.

Only thing you need to bear in mind is that these RAM modules are not on the QVL for Gigabyte so they haven't been tested. This doesn't mean that they won't work only that you probably won't get much help from GTS if you run into a problem.

As they say: "You pays your money, you takes your choice".

Absic,

Ok, thanks for the great info.  I hope they will work!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hey Soar I just wanted to say I didn't think much of your avatar ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hey Soar I just wanted to say I didn't think much of your avatar ;)

DM, long time no talk to you!!!  I miss you!  What have you been up to and what is new in your life?

Um, regarding my Avatar, I'm not so sure what happened...I uploaded a really nice pic of me holding a 40lb.+ salmon I had just caught but the pic never got into my Avatar!!!  Perhaps the pixels were just too big!  To be honest with you, I am not sure what happened.

Anyway, I've been terribly busy and still have not had time to build the new AMD.  After many months, I also have not been able to accurately troubleshoot the Intel build as well.  I suppose I've been a little disappointed with Mr. Gigabyte lately!  I am kind of dreading this new AMD build and usually I am full of excitement over a new build.  It seems to me that there are a whole lot of compatibility issues using the DDR3 that were never an issue with DDR2 builds.  It kind of reminds me of the 90's when there were all sorts of hardware compatibility issues...I did not care for that so back then I simply bought HP's, Compaq's, etc. and let their PhD's in computer science and double E work out the compatibility issues before I purchased the unit.

DM, in a nutshell, I have had more difficulties and frustrations and failures with the Intel i5-750/Gigabyte/G.Skil build than all the builds I've done in the last ten years combined.    And for me, that is very disappointing and painful.  I suppose I was spoiled by being able to purchase and assemble all the computer components for many builds in the last ten years without any major issues.  This last  Intel build has left me wishing I had just kept the Q6600 build and stayed satisfied with it [it worked flawlessly for some years].

Anyway, life is still good.  Summer has ended and wonderful autumn is now here.  I look forward to the cooler weather DM...that way my red ears can have a chance to cool down and go back to their normal green color.

Have a good one champ!

Up, up, and away!

Soar
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:12:06 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Bandcamp
regarding my Avatar, I'm not so sure what happened...I uploaded a really nice pic of me holding a 40lb.+ salmon
I had a similar problem. I wanted to upload a picture of me with an 80lb Carp but......    the mother-in-law objected to being picked up!  :D

I can understand your concerns about putting together a new rig, especially as you are still having issues with the Intel system and have been unable to resolve those satisfactorily. But, let me say that the AMD platform, although there can be issues, is a lot more forgiving.  I have put together well over 100 PC's using Gigabyte boards on the AMD Platform and I have yet to have one major problem from any of them. One of my friends is still running a machine I put together over 8 years ago, now that is reliability!

The biggest problems at the moment, on the AMD platform, are normally due to the choice of RAM. This is not due to the Motherboard but due to the design of the AM3 processor. We have discussed this at length and If you have followed the advice that has been provided by myself and other members, I am confident that you will not have any real problems with your AMD build.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

regarding my Avatar, I'm not so sure what happened...I uploaded a really nice pic of me holding a 40lb.+ salmon
I had a similar problem. I wanted to upload a picture of me with an 80lb Carp but......    the mother-in-law objected to being picked up!  :D

I can understand your concerns about putting together a new rig, especially as you are still having issues with the Intel system and have been unable to resolve those satisfactorily. But, let me say that the AMD platform, although there can be issues, is a lot more forgiving.  I have put together well over 100 PC's using Gigabyte boards on the AMD Platform and I have yet to have one major problem from any of them. One of my friends is still running a machine I put together over 8 years ago, now that is reliability!

The biggest problems at the moment, on the AMD platform, are normally due to the choice of RAM. This is not due to the Motherboard but due to the design of the AM3 processor. We have discussed this at length and If you have followed the advice that has been provided by myself and other members, I am confident that you will not have any real problems with your AMD build.

Absic,

Wow, your mother-in-law must be quite thin dear friend and I think there maybe something fishy going on there...well, on to the brighter side of life...

Thanks for your encouraging words.  I really needed to hear some positive words with success stories and you came through again.  Thanks.  I suppose I have allowed this past negative experience to get me down and perhaps affect my sense of confidence and paradigm of success.  I will do my best to think more positive and to believe for a successful build with this new AMD.

Every one of my past builds [with the exception of one AMD] were with the Intel processors and they were exceptionally successful and effective.  So I suppose I should dwell on that instead of the i5-750 nightmare...Who knows, maybe I was just very, very lucky...One thing I am sure of, it did not have to do with my own expertise or great knowledge, because I have neither.

Absic, I carefully printed out all your advice for this AMD new build.  I have also meticulous researched other forums and done my very best to get a sequential order for the build.   Your instructions have been by far the best and most informative.  So, thanks again for your help.

I will definitely stick with the QVL listed RAM [G.Skil F3-12800CLD-4GBNQ] for this 1055T build.  I've had all the components now for weeks, but been draggin' my heels when it comes to building it.  As I mentioned before, I normally look forward to great excitement and eagerness to a new build.

I may purchase the Triple Channel RAM for use on another system [either an i3-530 or an AMD X2-250 that I picked up for dirt cheap] that I was thinking of putting together...the RAM has such a good price and most of the reviews are positive too [Avexir AVD3U13330902G-1S].

I am presently searching through all the files/folders/HD's on my present main rig [Q9550 with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P] and getting ready for the migration process.  Oh, by the way, this Q9550 system has never had a BSOD or crash and I've been using it day and night now for over 2 years!

Here's the Q9550 components:

CM Storm Sniper Black case
Q9550 @ 2.8-3.6 GHz
Corsair XMS DDR2 800 8 GB
Enermax Modular 720 W PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
WD  640 GB SATA II 32 Cache
SG 1.5 TB SATA II 32 Cache
Lian-Li Bezel Thermometer Gauge
ZeroTherm Zen FZ1205
Galaxy GTS 250 512 MB
HP 1260i DVD DL

I will not migrate the OS, but plan to do a clean install on the 1055T system.

Ok, have a great day and I attached that salmon pic.  The fish was smiling because I was tickling him and I was smiling because I was already thinking of the barbecue!

If people complain because the picture is not computer related, then we can tell them this salmon accidently ate three 850 watt Corsair power supplies and that is why his eyes look so bright!  Oh, and let's not forget the yellow CAT 5 cable in the water that I used to tie the fish to the shore.

Have a good one!

Soar

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:22:58 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Hi Soar
Much better avatar and who's the man with you ;D What were you doing out there in all that cold water when you could have been playing with your new build. ::) All joking apart nice catch! Several barbies worth I reckon.

You saying about disasters, made me remember(very painful) a build I did quite a few years ago now when they were still steam powered ;) I purchased a whole kit of new parts and couldn't wait to assemble them all. Great got them al built up and wouldn't run Windows install, just couldn't get it past booting up. I worked on that bloody thing for about a week and must have changed every component at least once but there was no way it was going to run. In the end I had to admit defeat(which is not like me) and returned all the compnents for a refund. So you see it can happen to any of us.

I am sure your AMD build will go fine.
See you soon
DM
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hi Soar
Much better avatar and who's the man with you ;D What were you doing out there in all that cold water when you could have been playing with your new build. ::) All joking apart nice catch! Several barbies worth I reckon.

You saying about disasters, made me remember(very painful) a build I did quite a few years ago now when they were still steam powered ;) I purchased a whole kit of new parts and couldn't wait to assemble them all. Great got them al built up and wouldn't run Windows install, just couldn't get it past booting up. I worked on that bloody thing for about a week and must have changed every component at least once but there was no way it was going to run. In the end I had to admit defeat(which is not like me) and returned all the compnents for a refund. So you see it can happen to any of us.

I am sure your AMD build will go fine.
See you soon
DM

DM, nice to hear from you again.  How are you and what is new in your life there?  Yes, the fishing was nice...actually I like to call it catching because I do not like merely fishing...but I do like to catch fish...so yes, catching was nice.  Not sure who the other gentleman is...my dad took the pic and there were lots of other people fishing around us too.

Gosh, I suddenly realized my post may have been misunderstood so I had best clarify things quickly!

First, I would like to say thank you again.  Your knowledge and expertise in the Intel arena are impeccable.  Thank you for all the help you gave me in my attempt to make the i5-750 build work out.  My system problems have nothing whatsoever to do with your mistakes or lack of knowledge.  I felt it is important to make that clear in this post.

To this day, I am still not sure what is wrong with the system.  It still was giving BSOD's even after attempting so much.  My wife attempted to open Yahoo Messenger and up came my good buddy called BSOD.  I cannot return any components because it is long over the 30 day period most vendors give us is the USA for a return.

I may attempt to repurchase the A-Data RAM and try that again.***  That was the only time we were able to see a workable system stability with this system.

Here's a short list of some of the things we tried:

Returned [RMA] the MB to Gigabyte [they assured me it was fine and sent it back to be after a 3 week wait].
Returned [RMA]the G.Skil RAM [they replaced it with brand new, 30 day old RAM of the same model]
Reformatting the entire system several times
Testing and retesting the HD, RAM, MB , PSU, GPU, many times [all appears well]
Changing various settings in the BIOS over and over again
Switching RAM to a different vendor [I tried A-Data RAM and the system did run stable, no BSOD's and no instability, but I returned the RAM after thinking the problem was bad G.Skil RAM]***

Some of the things I did NOT try:

Switching out power supplies [the present power supply worked perfect in the last Q6600 build]
Switching out CPU's [I only have one Intel i5-750...wish I had bought more].

*** Perhaps I could repurchase the exact A-Data RAM and see if the system would run stable on a long term basis [last time I only tested it for a one week period].

Please forgive me...I've never experienced this level of failure and frustration ever on a system build before.  Maybe I just do not have the patience required to troubleshoot this system...I feel as if I have run out of patience.

I suppose I must make a decision to try the A-Data RAM again or simply sell the system and get it out of my life forever, then start all over again from scratch.   Right now I am leaning toward the latter.

I guess I had an huge expectation of a marvelous performance increase with all the new goodies [i5-750 processor, DDR 3 RAM, USB 3 SATA 6GB, etc.  My huge expectation has turned into a huge let down.

Anyhow, thanks for helping me learn so much and I feel I am much better equipped to build systems in the future from all that I have learned from both you and Absic.

Have you any more suggestions for me to try before I throw in the towel?

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Hi Soar,

Much better avatar and who's the man with you?
No I was talking about the man holding you up. (bit of English humour) notice humour was spelt properly!

Regarding your Intel build I feel almost certain that if you put in some decent memory you would get rid of your troubles. Some nice Corsair Dominators recommended for the board should do the trick. Mixing and matching is all well and good if you don't mind a lot of playing around to get things working together but as you have found it can be a trial.

Anyway if you want to come back over to the Light Side we would always be happy to see you and help with any problems. I think it's time for me to get out of here now before the eye comes round again. :o
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:00:51 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
I'm watching you DM!

Don't listen to him Soar. Intel is really the dark side. Feel the force, AMD is the light side, feel the force!

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
It's this eye I was really worried about. There is no escaping it.

"The eye of runn3R" it will see I am over here and then there will be trouble!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:25:30 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

I'm watching you DM!

Don't listen to him Soar. Intel is really the dark side. Feel the force, AMD is the light side, feel the force!

LOL!  You guys are the best!  Thanks for the good chuckle and and the great humor.  I feel so much better now!

AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

It's this eye I was really worried about. There is no escaping it.

"The eye of runn3R" it will see I am over here and then there will be trouble!

LOL!  The LOrd of the Gigabyte Ring is watching everything!

Be careful guys, someone else is watching too and he is after your RAM!

AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue