Official GIGABYTE Forum

A little assistance please

A little assistance please
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:54:19 am »
I was wondering if someone could help me here please, As I recently rebuilt my computer after my last motherboard failed, So  after many months and a new motherboard i started my new computer yesterday  ;D, But disaster has struck as when i plug any USB hardware into any of the rear ports they dont work, I have checked the motherbaord over and over but i cant find anything wrong with it  :(

My new motherboard is the GA-MA770-UD3

Could someone help me resolve this error so I can get my newish  ;) computer working again please

FluX

• Don't blame me... it worked fine b4 you touched it
Re: A little assistance please
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:45:05 am »
I don't mean to be cheeky, but as your question is a bit vague,  which O/S? and mainly, have you installed all drivers?

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:52:29 am »
Also it has messed up my hard drive so i need to reinstall vista again  :'( :'(
But with the rear ports not working and the boot sequence unchangeable it completely bypasses my CD drive

FluX

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:36 pm »
I'm not totally sure but I think I know what you have done now... correct me if I'm wrong...

You had a computer with vista installed on it and it stopped working because of a faullty motherboard?
You replaced the old motherboard with a newer motherboard?
You kept the same hard disk and did not reinstall anything?

That should be fine if the motherboards were identical, but it sounds to me you have different chipsets, so it will never work, even if you try reinstalling the drivers.
When your O/S is installed, it checks hardware to see what fundamental drivers are required, so if you have a different motherboard it will have the wrong ones installed.

If I were you I would get a new HDD and install vista from scratch, and use your old HDD as a slave

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:27:44 pm »
I'm not totally sure but I think I know what you have done now... correct me if I'm wrong...

You had a computer with vista installed on it and it stopped working because of a faullty motherboard?
You replaced the old motherboard with a newer motherboard?
You kept the same hard disk and did not reinstall anything?

That should be fine if the motherboards were identical, but it sounds to me you have different chipsets, so it will never work, even if you try reinstalling the drivers.
When your O/S is installed, it checks hardware to see what fundamental drivers are required, so if you have a different motherboard it will have the wrong ones installed.

If I were you I would get a new HDD and install vista from scratch, and use your old HDD as a slave

You got that all correct, what do you suggest about my rear USB ports cause thats my main problem at the moment

FluX

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:51:14 pm »
I'll be honest, you will be pretty much fighting a losing battle to get your usb's working if thats what's happened.

If you don't want to lose any of your data, remove your old HDD, get a new HDD and install Vista on it, using your existing product key.
***WARNING*** you are not allowed to reinstall a Microsoft O/S because of a change in motherboard, but you are allowed to in the case of a change in HDD. So all I'm saying is, if the installation asks you to phone up for activation, an automated voice may ask why you are reinstalling, never say motherboard always HDD failure ;)

Then add your old HDD (as slave, or secondary IDE or SATA2,3 or what ever) when you've finished installing.

As for your BIOS, the usual keys are either DEL, F12, F10 or F2 (depending on the BIOS manufacturer) at boot up, then determine the boot priority from there

FluX

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 12:55:33 pm »
sorry for double-posting but....

Also, the performance will be absolute rubbish if you try to run your system like it is, in fact I'd be very surprised if it runs at all without getting the blue screen of death every 5mins, I don't know if thats what happens with vista, but I know it certainly would with XP :(

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 12:57:10 pm »
I hate to sound like im an irritation so if im not going to get my USB to work what am i suppose to do then as my mouse,keyboard and printer connect via USB

Will I need a new motherboard at all??
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:02:46 pm by turbostarbasher27 »

FluX

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:15:31 pm »
no no we're all here to help each other.

Are you sure your keyboard doesn't work at boot up?
Disconnect everything apart from your monitor and keyboard and power.
Check your motherboard manual to find out where and how to reset your BIOS.
Then each time you boot, check at the bottom of the screen to see which key you need to press to access SETUP, and try booting a few times rapidly pressing that key.

There is no reason why the USB hardware should not work at boot up, but it is well possible that a conflict has disabled it, once your in vista.

give that a try first then get back to us

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 01:26:26 pm »
I have rebooted and what happens is that they keyboard works on the screen that allows me hit DEL when i want to enter bios but after that screen the keyboard and mouse go dead  :-\ :-\

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 01:30:59 pm »
i have fixed the problem
what the problem was that the USB keyboard & mouse support function had been disabled which caused both mouse and keyboard to go dead after BIOS  :) :)

Thanks alot  FluX  you help has been very very apreciative and for that i thank you  ;D ;D

FluX

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 01:32:42 pm »
Yay!!!  ;D Glad to be of help turbostarbasher27  :)

Badbonji

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 08:52:57 am »
It is weird that legacy USB devices aren't enabled by default on the BIOS, so many times I forget to enable it and wonder why my G15 doesn't work after POST lol...
Core i7 965 @ 4.35Ghz 1.37Vcore
6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 1740Mhz 8-8-8-20 1T
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor
EK Supreme HF/GTX480/MCP655/EK Res :D