Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EP45-DS3 no good with HP715 camera

LesD

GA-EP45-DS3 no good with HP715 camera
« on: June 21, 2009, 09:48:47 pm »
I have both a machine using a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 mobo and another later one using a GA-EP45-DS3 mobo and both machines corrupt photographs downloaded/copied from HP715 camera.

Two older machines at home with Gigabyte mobo's, a Dell and a number of HP Desktops at work download the exact same set of photographs from this HP715 camers perfectly with no corruption at all.

In fact I have moved to the EP45 because of this problem and other percieved ICH9 USB issues with my EP35 mobo and I am disappointed to find the same problem with the EP45 mobo.

I have two Intel processors for the mobos and I have tried the Q6700 in both mobos and see the problem with both of them.
The D950 and only been tried in the EP35 and it was with this processor that the problem was first encountered where I have 4 GB of RAM. At present the D950 is in the EP35 and the Q6700 is in the EP45 with another 4 GB of OC RAM.

I have seen the problem in Vista Home Premium with both processors on the EP35 and now in Windows 7 RC with the Q6700 on the EP45. I fitted a third party PCI USB card with a VIA controllor on it to the EP35 mobo and this did improved some of the USB isses but I was pinning my hopes on the EP45 to fix things completely but it has not.

Can anyone help me as I am out of ideas?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:55:24 pm by LesD »

LesD

Re: GA-EP45-DS3 no good with HP715 camera
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:50:23 pm »
I must be alone in the world with this problem I guess  :(

The main reason I fitted the third party PCI USB card to my GA-EP35-DS3 machine was because my HP C5280 All-In-One Printer Scanner Copier would not install and work properly in the machine with this mobo in either XP Pro or Vista. As the board and the C5280 were both new I contacted both HP Support and Gigabyte Support about my difficulty. The Install would hang at about 96% done and not complete properly. Sometimes you could print things OK but scans would never complete. I exhausted all of  HP Support's solutions to no avail and Gigabyte told me to install the F4 Beta BIOS wihich I did all to no avail as well.

Having Googled widely about the problem and found countless other people with very similar issues with more HP products than just the C5280 one kind soul posted that he had found a workround to HP's apparent incompatibity with the ICH9 USB controller by fitting a PCI card with a VIA USB contoller and Eureka this worked for me too. The C5280 install completed 100% at the first time of trying once connected to one of these VIA USB ports.

I have a family member with another C5280 who had it working OK in Vista on his similar EP45 RAID version of the mobo I have that  he has encouraged me to upgrade to but now he has found that in a partition he has created on the same machine to trial Windows 7 RC in (Vista 2 by another name) he has found that his well tried and trusted C5280  install gets to 96% complete and then hangs. So now I am wondereing if my EP45 is going to need a third party USB card with a VIA controller on it just like my EP35 did.

Symptomatic of this was the little issue with my old HP715 camera ,which I why I open this thread with it! ;)

Pottypete

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:54:29 am »
Hi lesD
Glad you seem to have found a workaround,
HP are well known for their driver problems, which is where the  problem seems to be,
My 122oc A3 printer parallel port/ Psc 1317 usb printers wont work installed on a GA-965 ds3 mobo together!
But Hp say they have a compatibly driver, HaHa,
Run them with a usb converter on the 1220c, both work fine AHA ;D
Try using a card reader to load pics, and NO camera software 8)

LesD

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:30:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I already knew I was not alone with dodgy hp s/w but all commiserations are appreciated   ;)  :)

I am sorry about the long gap between this post and my last one but I have been completely derailed by my Aten CS52 D DVI KVM switch that has worked perfectly switching between Vista on my GA-EP35-DS3  mobo and XP Pro on an old GA-8S661FXM-775 mobo crashing Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit versions) each and every time the focus of this switch is moved away from the Windows 7 installations on two partitions of my new machine that is  built on a GA-EP45-DS3 Rev 1.0 mobo

I have simply put the new Windows 7 machine where the XP Pro one was relative to the KVM switch. This has not been a good "User Experience" in Microsoft's own phraseology for me with Windows 7 but it has taken the heat off hp!  >:(

LesD

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:16:23 pm »
I had an Eureka moment a week or two ago with my KVM switch!

The nVidia 190.38 Beta Driver release fixed the problem I had with my Aten CS52D KVM Switch crashing Windows 7 each and every time the focus of this KVM switch was moved away from Windows 7.

I have installed the 190.38 beta release in both the 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 RC OS's and everything is rock solid and stable when the KVM switch is operated in both versions.

The Betas took a bit of finding so for anyone else that might fancy trying them here are the links:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_190.38_beta.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_190.38_beta.htm

Today, however, I heard that the Beta release is now the WHQL one.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 06:17:35 pm by LesD »