Official GIGABYTE Forum

Poll

Which AMD 1055T CPU would you prefer to own and why?

AMD 1055T 125 Watt
0 (0%)
AMD 1055T 95 Watt
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

What's the difference between AMD's 1055T 125 watt version and the 95 watt versi

I have been searching all over for an actuall one on sale in america at frys or anywhere else and all i can find are smoke and mirrors and at the end its still the 125 watt they are offering for sale. I dont think anyone in america actually has one for sale yet. Click on the links at frys or anywhere else and see what i mean. Kinda fishy i got my info on the different cache straight from amd site.

Autotech,

I forgot to include the old Fry's ad!  Here it is:

Notice the "9MB" strange advertisement on it...I suppose they are using addition?

PS What city are you in there, Autotech?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:35:17 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Ah, the old advertising trick. This has caught me out. Some suppliers advertise with only the L3 figure of 6MB Cache whilst others advertise the total cache of 9MB. ALL of the X6 Phenom ii's come with a total of 9MB Cache, 3MB of L2 and 6MB of L3.

Hope this clears things up for you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Ah, the old advertising trick. This has caught me out. Some suppliers advertise with only the L3 figure of 6MB Cache whilst others advertise the total cache of 9MB. ALL of the X6 Phenom ii's come with a total of 9MB Cache, 3MB of L2 and 6MB of L3.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Hi Absic!

Thanks for the clarity.  I was thinking Fry's kept doing typo mistakes in their ads, but now it makes sense why they kept saying 9mb's of cache.  Well, I did not purchase any because I felt the price was still too high.  Absic, I have been so overwhelmed with personal responsibilities that I have not been able to start the new build yet.  

On the brighter side of things, I have read, reread, and reread again your instructions on how to put it all together.  Thanks again for your very clear directions.

Ok, I do have more questions...

Do I enable AHCI in the BIOS?

Do I plug the SSD into the normal SATA or the new faster SATA slot?

What's all the hoopla about running the SSD in IDE [I still do not understand that]?

Finally, do I see my Psychologist to help me deal with all the added stress of this new SSD and if so, what medications do you suggest [and please do not say 3 pints of the best ale we can find].  :D

Lastly, will this SSD contribute to the overall joy and satisfaction in my life or will it subtract from it?

Autotech, I made a mistake on the last date Fry's was selling these units...it was the 13th and 14th, not the 12th.

Have a great day everyone!

Soar
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:24:12 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

I wouldn't dream of suggesting 3 Pints of Ale..... more like 3 pints of Dark Rum!!!!  :D

I hate to think of you getting stressed over using the SSD and, in a effort to spare you any further grey hairs, my offer to give it a good home is still open.  ::)

In the meantime, my understanding is that it is better to run an SSD in AHCI Mode. As I can't offer first hand experience on this I can't say what is best. Are you planning to install your OS onto the SSD?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

My only concern is that after putting down 3 pints of dark rum I would use the SSD as a Frisbee instead of an OS drive...

The shipping is too expensive for me to donate my one and only SSD to you....so sorry...but I do have an extra BitDefender key if you are interested...let me know...as they are right up there with Kaspersky.

Finally, yes, I do plan on installing the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on this SSD as well as three other programs.  Office Professional 2010, Microsoft Essentials, and finally, Iolo's System Mechanic Professional.  I suppose I must limit this 60GB SSD to these programs if I am to avoid maxing it out.

Thanks again Absic for your time and patience with me, but you did not answer my question about which SATA slot...what's your take on that?

It's me, poor Soar

AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Yes I agree with absic. He must be learning a thing or two as I end up agreeing with him more often now ::)
3 pints of rum is the best option ;D

On the Intel boards I wouldn't advise running the SSD on the SATA3 ports but there is a different controller on your AMD chips so I think it would be the way to go.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Yes I agree with absic. He must be learning a thing or two as I end up agreeing with him more often now ::)
3 pints of rum is the best option ;D

On the Intel boards I wouldn't advise running the SSD on the SATA3 ports but there is a different controller on your AMD chips so I think it would be the way to go.

DM, Nice to hear from you again!  How are you and how is life in England? 

I am fine here, just been tooooooo busy lately.  I am so excited about building this new AMD rig.  But first, some good news for you.  My Intel rig seems to have snapped out of the BSOD's.  I am not even sure why.  It has been running stable now for a few weeks, no BSOD's, no crashes, no freeze ups.  I did pour one of the pints of dark rum on the motherboard, and, after a loud slurping noise and a large burp, all is well.

In reality, I have no clue as to why the Intel suddenly works fine now.  I am just thankful and keep my fingers crossed it will still stay stable.  I will use it as my back up computer as I assemble the AMD. Eventually I would like to install a SSD on it too if it will continue to perform well.

Regarding the SATA 3, are you certain I am to hook up the new SSD on that port?  Please let me know as I am a total rookie in the realm of SSD.

Thanks,

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi Soar
Glad to hear you are well and keeping busy. All high quality engineering needs a little lubrication to run smoothly, I reckon the pint of dark rum was just what it needed ;)

As for the SSD unless absic knows of any reason on this board why you shouldn't I would run it off the fastest port. I am not sure which board you decided on in the end but if it has SATA3 that isn't run off a Marvell 9128 controller then I would think that is the best idea. I know a lot of the newer AMD chips have an onboard SATA3 option.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

If I remember correctly you have the GA-890XA-UD3 (Rev. 1.0) Mobo. If this is right then you have 6 SATA3 ports and 2 GSATA2 ports.

The SATA3 ports are numbered SATA3_0 through SATA3_5 and the two SATA2 ports (usually a different colour) are labelled as GSATA2_6 & GSATA2_7.
Just to make things a little more complicated these ports can be configured differently from within BIOS.

If I were putting your rig together I would also use one of the SATA3 Ports for the SSD. This won't cause a problem for any of your drives, if they are SATA2, as it is backwards compatible. I would recommend setting this to AHCI in BIOS as this is better for your SSD. When it comes to installing your OS you may need to pre-install the drivers for the SB850 controller (pressing F6 during Windows Install) You can do this from a USB stick so you don't need to worry about a floppy drive.

Your DVD/CD writer I would attach to one of the GSATA ports and I would configure these to IDE as sometimes DVD/CD drives can encounter problems in AHCI. If your DVD/CD Writer is an IDE version rather than SATA then it will also work, so don't worry about that.

Hope this helps.

Hi Soar
Glad to hear you are well and keeping busy. All high quality engineering needs a little lubrication to run smoothly, I reckon the pint of dark rum was just what it needed ;)

As for the SSD unless absic knows of any reason on this board why you shouldn't I would run it off the fastest port. I am not sure which board you decided on in the end but if it has SATA3 that isn't run off a Marvell 9128 controller then I would think that is the best idea. I know a lot of the newer AMD chips have an onboard SATA3 option.

DM,

Thanks for the reply.  Ok, I'll give the SATA 3 a try.  I hope to put it all together very, very soon.  If my work does not permit, then we have the Veterans Day Holiday here on the 11th and I haven been given an extra day [12th] as well, so between the two, I should have enough time to finally put this system together!

Thanks again!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Hi Soar,

If I remember correctly you have the GA-890XA-UD3 (Rev. 1.0) Mobo. If this is right then you have 6 SATA3 ports and 2 GSATA2 ports.

The SATA3 ports are numbered SATA3_0 through SATA3_5 and the two SATA2 ports (usually a different colour) are labelled as GSATA2_6 & GSATA2_7.
Just to make things a little more complicated these ports can be configured differently from within BIOS.

If I were putting your rig together I would also use one of the SATA3 Ports for the SSD. This won't cause a problem for any of your drives, if they are SATA2, as it is backwards compatible. I would recommend setting this to AHCI in BIOS as this is better for your SSD. When it comes to installing your OS you may need to pre-install the drivers for the SB850 controller (pressing F6 during Windows Install) You can do this from a USB stick so you don't need to worry about a floppy drive.

Your DVD/CD writer I would attach to one of the GSATA ports and I would configure these to IDE as sometimes DVD/CD drives can encounter problems in AHCI. If your DVD/CD Writer is an IDE version rather than SATA then it will also work, so don't worry about that.

Hope this helps.

Absic,

Ok, I will follow your good advice.  Thanks again for helping to guide me through this process.  I now have over 7 pages of system/OS/SSD set up instructions to guide me through this marvelous maze of cutting edge technology...I know full well that I could spend weeks upon weeks guessing and mired in system failures/mishaps due to my own ignorance and lack of knowledge.

Things have changed considerably since the Q9550/DDR2 days.  Back then it seem as if no matter what I threw together came out shining like the sun with little to no problems at all and with very little instructions as well.  Times and seasons and levels of knowledge required to put together a new system today certainly have changed.

I appreciate you and DM for all the help you two have given us here at Giga-forums.  Many of us would be terribly lost without you guys!

Thanks again!

Soar
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:39:28 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

Don't get too bogged down over this. Things aren't as difficult as it may appear and the AMD platform is actually quite forgiving. Hey, even Jannie can put one of these rigs together (and he spends most of his time chasing those Haggis around the glens), so I'm sure you can!  ;D And don't forget, if you do run into any problems, we will be more than happy to try and guide you.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:08:20 am by absic »

jannie

• Your Never To Old To Learn
Hi Soar..Yes we have fry's here in Sccotland, but they only sell fish.chips and mushy pea's.... ;D    Yes as absic says, my rig is running great. The only problem with the ssd is ( you dont have time to make a coffee before it fires up )it so quick
2x Cooler Master HAF X full tower
Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 AMD 790X AM3 Motherboard
AMD CPU Phenom II 1090Tx6
Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 8GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333)
Corsair HX 850 W  (PSU)
Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 CPU Cooler
1GB Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 460 OC Graphic

Hi Soar,

Don't get too bogged down over this. Things aren't as difficult as it may appear and the AMD platform is actually quite forgiving. Hey, even Jannie can put one of these rigs together (and he spends most of his time chasing those Haggis around the glens), so I'm sure you can!  ;D And don't forget, if you do run into any problems, we will be more than happy to try and guide you.  ;)

Absic, thanks for your words of encouragement.  You help me to believe that everything is gonna be alright with this new build.  Thanks also for offering to help me if I run into problems.  Hopefully everything will go together well and it will fire right up and do its job.

Until then,

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Hi Soar..Yes we have fry's here in Sccotland, but they only sell fish.chips and mushy pea's.... ;D    Yes as absic says, my rig is running great. The only problem with the ssd is ( you dont have time to make a coffee before it fires up )it so quick

Jannie, Fish and Chips sound delicious...not sure about those mushy peas though....I did hear somewhere that the mushy peas do help people grow much bushier eyebrows...the only problem is, I already have very bushy eyebrows...maybe I should pass on the peas...

Wow, you have an Intel II 80GB!  I have heard nothing but good news about the Intel SSD.  Did you tweak it much or leave it mostly as is?

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold