Official GIGABYTE Forum

Poll

Which AMD 1055T CPU would you prefer to own and why?

AMD 1055T 125 Watt
0 (0%)
AMD 1055T 95 Watt
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

What's the difference between AMD's 1055T 125 watt version and the 95 watt versi

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi Soar

Glad that you are finally going to get the chance to build your beast, it must have been killing you all those nice new parts just lying there screaming to be used. I don't think I could have stuck it this long. I am sure that it will fire up first attempt.

Talking about SSDs don't take all the blurb to literally and worry about it. I just defragged mine again as I noticed that the performance had dropped to 88% and although I wasn't worried about the fragmentation because it doesn't really have any bearing on SSDs I did want to get the performance to max. As I say I just ran PerfectDisk Pro defragger again and now the performance is back up to 99.7%. Now a lot of know it alls would die if they heard of someone defragging a SSD but there are things that they don't know as well. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hi Soar

Glad that you are finally going to get the chance to build your beast, it must have been killing you all those nice new parts just lying there screaming to be used. I don't think I could have stuck it this long. I am sure that it will fire up first attempt.

Talking about SSDs don't take all the blurb to literally and worry about it. I just defragged mine again as I noticed that the performance had dropped to 88% and although I wasn't worried about the fragmentation because it doesn't really have any bearing on SSDs I did want to get the performance to max. As I say I just ran PerfectDisk Pro defragger again and now the performance is back up to 99.7%. Now a lot of know it alls would die if they heard of someone defragging a SSD but there are things that they don't know as well. ;)

DM, thanks for those positive and uplifting words...and yes, there have been times I wanted to just call in sick and spend the better part of the day ripping one system apart and putting together the new system [I intend to use the CM Storm Sniper Case that houses the Q9550 system that has been my primary system for a couple of years].

You know, it is amazing you mentioned the defrag in your last post.  Last night, I began to think about why people say DO NOT defrag your SSD...then I thought about my System Mechanic Professional Software that I really like to use and I began to wonder if it was a bad idea to put in on the SSD.  [part of the System Mechanic Professional has a Defragger utility built into it].

DM, have you any more thoughts on defragging/registry cleaning, etc. on an SSD?  Are people against defragging because of this theory that it reduces the overall life span of the SSD?  What is so wrong with defragging?

Please help me understand this if you can.

Thanks,

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
DM, have you any more thoughts on defragging/registry cleaning, etc. on an SSD?  Are people against defragging because of this theory that it reduces the overall life span of the SSD?  What is so wrong with defragging?

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. There are a limited number of times that a particular part of a chip can be written to and even though it is a lot it is finite so the general opinion is that you shouldn't do it more than necessary. Also of course fragmentation itself is not an issue with digital storage because they don't rely on a mechanical system to find and read the pieces of information.
Defragghing the registry is totally different and again not so important on an SSD. Use yuour software if you like it and don't be scarred of using the defragger but only do it when it is going to make a difference like if you find the performance degrading. Do not worry about the actual fragmentation of the data.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. There are a limited number of times that a particular part of a chip can be written to and even though it is a lot it is finite so the general opinion is that you shouldn't do it more than necessary. Also of course fragmentation itself is not an issue with digital storage because they don't rely on a mechanical system to find and read the pieces of information.
Defragghing the registry is totally different and again not so important on an SSD. Use yuour software if you like it and don't be scarred of using the defragger but only do it when it is going to make a difference like if you find the performance degrading. Do not worry about the actual fragmentation of the data.

Ok, thanks for that good advice.  I suppose I will install System Mechanic Professional then.  I think I can set it up to defrag and clean up the registry without defragging the SSD each time.  I'll play with it first on my present system to see what type of variations it offers.

Have a good one!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold