Official GIGABYTE Forum

How exactly should Gigabyte chipset drivers be updated?

forumjoe

How exactly should Gigabyte chipset drivers be updated?
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:12:15 pm »
It looks like the random FDD and regular HDD accesses problems I've been having with my US3Lfrom the outset are due to either a missing or bad chipset driver, or even a further bug in the FH BIOS. As a consequence, I've contacted GGTS about it. I've noted that the latest Intel INF driver, which I've used, is actually only a beta version.

With their timescales, it'll be at least a week and maybe longer before they'll respond. In the meantime, I'm going to have to severely limit my usage of this new PC - the incessant accessing of the HDD is rapidly wearing it out, besides driving me nuts!

On the assumption that the problem is a chipset driver and that GGTS are then in due course able to offer a revised one, how should that revision be installed? In other words, how are updated chipset drivers meant to be installed on these series P55 boards - by locating the existing driver and using 'Update Driver', by simply executing the setup of the revised driver and therefore installing it straight over the top of the existing one, or by first uninstalling the existing driver?

Has anyone here had any experience with adding Gigabyte updated P55 drivers to their machine? Anyone know Gigabyte's official line on this?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: How exactly should Gigabyte chipset drivers be updated?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:38:31 pm »
There is no special instructions from Gigabyte although they did mention that there was no need to do an uninstal first.  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

forumjoe

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:43:30 am »
Well, assuming that's really the case, that's at least some good news. After I've discovered what's causing my 'instability' problem (regular and constant accessing of the HDD, and occasional random accesses to the FDD), I'll contact GGTS and ask them how exactly that should be performed, ie. whether by 'Update Driver' and pointing the update dialog to the unzipped files, or just executing the update driver in the Desktop and following the Setup procedure to completion.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:55:39 am »
I really wouldn't think it will make any difference as long as the install routine works and the drivers are in place.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

forumjoe

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:47:37 pm »
You could well be right, DM. It may nevertheless be worthwhile asking them. It should occupy very little of their time. It's crucial, after all, to get this right.

I think a lot will depend on just whether the Update Driver, Rollback Driver, and Uninstall Driver options are available in the Properties of the driver. I find sometimes that drivers (not necessarily chipset drivers) aren't fully identified and so these modifications aren't possible through that particular dialog, and instead the only option is to just execute the downloaded file, or its unzipped setup file, straight over the top of the existing one.