Official GIGABYTE Forum

AM3 (DDR3) Gigabyte mobo with Linux support

xprezons

AM3 (DDR3) Gigabyte mobo with Linux support
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:31:31 pm »
A colleague and friend asked me if I could build him a workstation that could run Linux (preferably Fedora). I was curious to know if anyone has a stable Fedora system running AMD Phenom 2 CPU (4 or 6 core) on a Gigabyte (DDR3) motherboard so that I could draw on that experience and get it right the first time around, since my experience with linux on my own system hasn't been that smooth.

If yes, please can you share the system specs:
  • CPU
  • motherboard (Model)
  • RAM (model)
  • graphics card (if any)
  • any additional cards
  • what monitor / display do you use? (Make/Model)

• Are Linux drivers available for the motherboard components NB, SB, IO, graphics, network, sound etc
  • Is your BIOS configuration different from "Optimised Defaults" for the motherboard? If so, can you specify the most important options for your system settings?
  • Do you use any virtualization software? (VirtualBox, VMWare, XEN etc) Which one? What BIOS options are available to enable / disable virtualization? Did you have to configure iommu settings in the BIOS?
  • Have you encountered any issues with USB device support with your system?
  • Does Linux recognise and load appropriate drivers for all the hardware components correctly?
  • What mode are the disk drives connected in IDE / SATA-AHCI / SATA-RAID?
  • Have you tried enabling compiz? Does it work on your system?

The likely OS choices would be Fedora / Ubuntu x86_64
Thanks for your time.
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE stepping c2 | MoBo Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (AMD 785G chipset AMD SB710) BIOS v F8 | HDD - WDC 1001FALS | OS Fedora 13 x86_64

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: AM3 (DDR3) Gigabyte mobo with Linux support
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:02:08 am »
Hi there,

As you know Gigabyte points users who want to run a Linux based system to other sources for drivers.

I am not too familiar with Linux although I do play with Ubuntu. I am running a GA-790XTA-UD4 with a Phenom ii 1090T, 8Gb of Corsair Dominator RAM and a Sapphire 4850X2,  a Delta 1010 Soundcard and 2 LG Flatron Monitors

The only problems I have had in getting Ubuntu 10.4 to run on my Rig has been with the Marvell SATA3 ports not being recognised. I have to admit to not pursuing the problem too far as I run Windows 7 and that has its own issues with the same ports. Even when set to Native IDE Ubuntu can not find them. Everything else seems to work OK under Ubuntu and, as there are enough SATA 2 ports on this board, it's not a problem for me but could be if you were looking to use all of the SATA ports. I have all of my SATA Ports set to Native IDE.

Apart from the ATI Drivers for my 4850 and the drivers for the Delta 1010 , everything else was automatically installed, but there were no issues getting the ATI or Drivers for the soundcard.

I have made no major changes to the BIOS other than what I would normally do, but it works fine with Optimized Defaults. I normally disable the on-board sound, because of the Delta 1010, and I have disabled the Serial Port and e-SATA controllers as I do not use them. I also have turned of the CPU Smart Fan control and the AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control as I run my CPU Cooler fans directly from the PSU

My full system specs are:
Current System Specs:
Chassis: NZXT Tempest Evo
Mobo: GA-790XTA-UD4 (BIOS F4a beta)
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE 125W
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 Air cooler
RAM: Corsair Dominator 2 x CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 (8 Gig)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon ATI 4850x2 (1 Gig)
Monitors: 1 x LG L1715S & 2 x LG L194WT
Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 1010
HDD's: 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB, 2 X WD 640 Gig Caviar Black SATA3, 1 x Seagate 1TB
DVD/CD: Liteon
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB
Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro

Main Use of system: Audio Recording & Mixing and Graphics Design & Editing

Hope this helps
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

xprezons

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:40:11 pm »
Thanks for sharing the info and your experience, absic. It has been a valuable input in this research.

If you still have Ubuntu installed (dual boot), it would be helpful to know the output of the following command from Linux. Please PM it to me if it seems off-topic here.
Code: [Select]
lspci -vn
Did the graphics come out well with the Catalyst driver? Did you get an opportunity to test out stuff like full screen video playback, HD video playback etc?

I guess full support the SATA3 controllers should come up in the kernel soon, if they are not already in the latest one. If you are interested, I would suggest trying out the latest kernel occasionally (using a LiveCD maybe), when you have some time.

Marvell lists 88SE9128 as having Linux support, but there is no further info on it. Check << this >> link out. Not sure how much it would be of help to you ..

Cheers.
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE stepping c2 | MoBo Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (AMD 785G chipset AMD SB710) BIOS v F8 | HDD - WDC 1001FALS | OS Fedora 13 x86_64

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:23:29 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry but I can't give you that command line  info as I have just re-built my system with a new GA-890FXA-UD5 mobo and currently have not tried to install Ubuntu.

On the previous system I had no issues with the ATI Drivers though I didn't try running HD. In full screen mode video/DVD playback was fine, with no glitches or artefacts but that was using drivers prior to the more recent releases. Sorry I can't remember exactly which version they were but it was around the 10.8 version of Windows drivers.

Apologies for not being able to help out more at the moment but hopefully someone else might be able to.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

xprezons

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:49:26 pm »
No worries, mate. Thanks again for your inputs.