Official GIGABYTE Forum

40gb SSD and now i must hit reset button to start OS loading

40gb SSD and now i must hit reset button to start OS loading
« on: November 05, 2010, 04:11:51 pm »
Hello i am Dave, kalkaskageeks technician. I  added a 40gb ssd tomy  system and now i am  having some wierd issues. They do not affect performance but it is unknown of whats causing it, although we have a good idea. My specs are
Gigabyte GA-880GA-uD3H
Amd Phenom II x4 955BE  3.2ghz
Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 10666 4gb (2x2)
Sapphire radeon 5770
Western digital 500gb cavier blue 7200rpm sata 3.
Intel X25-V sata 40gb SSD
liteon dvdrw/cdrw burner
1 cold cathode 2 stick set
120mm led fan
120mm fan
80mm led fan
pci card fan
OCZ Fatality 550w PSU 21A down 12v rail. ( I know there  should be more amps down the 12v  i am  upgrading to the corsair 650w with 52a down the 12v soon)

Anyways the issue i am having is after i installed the SSD (first drive btw) i put windows 7 pro x64 on it. Well when the system boots it gets past POST and when it starts to load the OS It is suppose to go to a black screen and a flashing white cursor appears and writes " Loading Operating System......." Well it does not do that when i press the power button up thefirst time. In order to go i must hit the reset button and it goes through and loads everything fine.

This only started hapening after i installed that ssd. Now using antec PSU Calc i should be fine with 550w. 
Any ideas on what is going on?

You can also follow this topic on http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_7/Q_26580152.html#a34070743
I am trying to figure this very annoying issue out, please help?
Will post the comments soon.
NZXT M59
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)  DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Intel X-25V 40gb SSD----FREE
WD Caviar Blue 500gb s

Re: 40gb SSD and now i must hit reset button to start OS loading
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:14:42 pm »
sweetfa2:
It is probably the power supply.  The initial drawdown on power up is going to be much higher than the drawdown on reset because disks have spun up, fans have kicked in, etc.

Michael-Best:
Unplug the power cable to your WD HDD and boot SSD to see if it is a power shortage, then report bac

kalkaskageek:
Okay i checked with the WD not installed and the same thing happened. I even trie it with the extras disbaled the cold cathodes... and only one drive

nobus:
>>   Now using antec PSU Calc i should be fine with 550w.  <<   how much was the system rated?
be aware the output gets lower with aging...so keep at least a 10% margin

kalkaskageek:
The system was rated at 330w and the system is just 2.2 months old

nobus:
then it should fine. (if you added all the lights and fans)
you can try a repair; it looks like it's missing a driver  : http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
you can also look if it does it too in safe mode

kalkaskageek:
Think so? Even though the system boots after i hit reset? I tried a bios update and that did not solve the issue either. Now i forgot to make the drive operate in sata mode prior to installing, would that be any cause of the issue.

firozmusthafa:
remove memory take a good body spary or spirit and wipe clean the golden pins of it and reinsert your problem would be fixed now...if now try changing the memory timings in BIOS that will clean all mess, btw if you mess with BIOS and somehow you gom wrong configuration just short the BIOS reset pins / remove clock battery for 20 seconds and your settings are restored

nobus:
set the disks t compatible, or ide mode

kalkaskageek:
Sorry for the delay i have been sick. Okay i checked the memory its fine.
The ssd is set to compatible mode. The only thing i have not tied to do yet is to reinstall. I don't want too but i may have too .

Help me Dark Mantis, Abcis, your my only hope.---credit to Star wars.(Modified of course)
Any help at all would be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:47:56 pm by bigdaveberg »
NZXT M59
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
WD Caviar Blue 500gb s

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:55:47 pm »
Hi there,

(Blast of trumpets as I come charging in on my white horse!)

Silly question but have you tried with a fully stripped down system? 1 stick of RAM, CPU, SSD, on-board graphics only?

If it is a power draw issue as you suspect then the most likely culprit is the 5770. Try removing that from the equation to check if the problem still occurs.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 05:03:43 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:04:12 pm »
Hi there,

(Blast of trumpets as I come charging in on my white horse!)

Silly question but have you tried with a fully stripped down system? 1 stick of RAM, CPU, SSD, on-board graphics only?

If it is a power draw issue as you suspect then the most likely culprit is the 5770. Try emoving that from the equation to check if the problem still occurs.

Will give that a shot today when i get home. If it is the issue, then I will be buying a corsair today and fixing that issue. :D
Ty for the help. Experts-exchange is nice but some people do not seem very helpful.   ???
That may be just me, and or mis wording stuff also  ::)
NZXT M59
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
WD Caviar Blue 500gb s

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:09:09 pm »
Trouble is that on some forums, people think that everyone is a rocket scientist. You should have heard Jannie go off on one when he was having issues with DVD Fab.

I'm not saying that the 5770 is causing the problem but it is most likely that one component is drawing a lot of energy at start up and this is the probable culprit. As with any problem of this nature it is trying to find the root cause and, as your mobo has on-board graphics, this is a cheap and easy way to see if it is just down to the PSU.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:08:02 pm »
Trouble is that on some forums, people think that everyone is a rocket scientist. You should have heard Jannie go off on one when he was having issues with DVD Fab.

I'm not saying that the 5770 is causing the problem but it is most likely that one component is drawing a lot of energy at start up and this is the probable culprit. As with any problem of this nature it is trying to find the root cause and, as your mobo has on-board graphics, this is a cheap and easy way to see if it is just down to the PSU.

Hey man i understand,  I did have my brother start my pc, and he said that the video card had 1 green led lite up out of the 3 on the card, When he restarted the PC all the leds light up. So i am wondering even more now if it is power related. I have not yet taken out the video card but i will when i get home. I think those are power led indicators correct? It is a Sapphire radeon.
NZXT M59
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
WD Caviar Blue 500gb s

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:13:40 pm »
Yes, the LED shows if it is powering up correctly, I've got one on my 4850X2 and it took me a while to figure out what it was for as it isn't mentioned in the Manual.

When you do get home it would be a good idea to reset CMOS after you have removed the 5770 and before you try and power up as it will return the BIOS to it's default settings. If you don't do this you might not get a BOOT image as BIOS will be looking for the Dedicated GPU.  :P

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 12:07:00 am »
Yes, the LED shows if it is powering up correctly, I've got one on my 4850X2 and it took me a while to figure out what it was for as it isn't mentioned in the Manual.

When you do get home it would be a good idea to reset CMOS after you have removed the 5770 and before you try and power up as it will return the BIOS to it's default settings. If you don't do this you might not get a BOOT image as BIOS will be looking for the Dedicated GPU.  :P

Okay just removed the video card and booted with onboard, same issue.
So i removed memory modual 2 from bank 2 and guess what....... the SOB booted through. I then procceded to take out the other memory stick and move it to the second slot, booted. I then took that stick out and put the orignal memory slot 2 stick in slot one,,, nothing...... Although bios see's the memory stick.
So i have bad or going bad memory stick. But windows works fine all memory is good under Memtest. I am confused now.
Should i contact Gskill and see about an advance replacement(be nice)? Oh and this is all with the video card removed.
THE KICKER_____I cleaned the video card and blew off dust, from memory and card, reinserted the memory sticks and video card... guess what......That SOB BOOTED FINE! GAH confusing. The only thing i can think of is Dust, got in the contacts and when i was messing around in there and cleaning dust out it cleaned the contacts, Oh and the power LED's al lite up this time. From a cold boot.
NZXT M59
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
WD Caviar Blue 500gb s

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 12:21:15 am »
Okay just ran prime95 64bit, let the test run for 10 mins, and i accidentally minimized the first window, did not realize that hey, it only shows up in  the tasks area, and started another test, so i had 2 test running at the same time   ::) and got good results, no errors, and a cpu temp of 60c stable with 2 test running, so basically i had 8 workers going at once, and no errors, and my temps were nice(ish) Running on air i think 2 primes going and a max temp of 60c and an average of 57c is good.
NZXT M59
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
WD Caviar Blue 500gb s

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 07:32:04 am »
Ah, the joys of building computers. Maybe I should consider writing a book about it but I don't think anyone would believe it. Another one of those WTF??? Moments that every builder gets.

As you say it could have been dust, could have been poorly seated GPU or RAM, or it could have been the little gremlin that lives inside every PC case, waiting for you to turn your back so he can pull at some wiring or poke metal objects into unsafe places. The trouble is you don't really know what the problem is in these situations and that can be just as disconcerting, as you keep waiting for something to fall over.

At least it looks as if you're back up and running and that's always a good thing. As a point of interest the Max Temp of the 955 CPU is 62C so you were pretty close to the top. Take care with stressing your system as the Max Temp is not something that the CPU can stand for any period of time.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 06:32:44 pm »
Okay now this really bugs me, it is happening still. I am going to contact Gskill for an advance replacement, maybe that will help. Oh and lastly on my Motherboard the memory says ddr3 1866+ near the memory slots, but i only have 1333.The reason i bought 1333 was because newegg listed that the board was 1333, could this be an issue? Never mind i read on Newegg listing that is for O.C
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 06:54:20 pm by bigdaveberg »
NZXT M59
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
WD Caviar Blue 500gb s