Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-M59SLI-S5 w/ 64 bit OS

GA-M59SLI-S5 w/ 64 bit OS
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:40:39 pm »
I built this system a few years ago in anticipation of installing a 64 bit OS when it became available.  when Vista came out, i obtained a business copy through a college program with MS.  I attempted to load it on my machine to have it hang at the windows loading (splash) screen.  after a week of attempts and some help from a geek squad friend, there was no success.  Now that Win 7 is out, i decided to try the W7 RC, hoping for better results.  I am running into the same issues.  since the vista attempt i have upgraded everything except the mobo. AMD Windsor 6000 processor, WD Raptor HD, 2x EVGA 8800GTS, 2x2Gb Corsair twinpro memory.  When i boot from the DVD i created from the .iso, it will come to the "windows loading" screen and hang. 

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or have any advice on some troubleshooting techniques?

Thanks!

Re: GA-M59SLI-S5 w/ 64 bit OS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:24:55 pm »
Please forgive me if I sound stupid, but I've not heard of the 'Windsor' processor. Does it go by any other name? Also, I think you need to check your hardware compatibility. I've recently run into problems with my new system when I attempted to use an old SCSI card. The Win7 compatibility checker didn't flag it as a problem, so I assumed it would be OK. It was only when I tried to get things going I found it wasn't supported and have had to upgrade to a newer card (which wasn't easy - there is now only one Adaptec SCSI card in existence that supports SCSI2 that Windows 7 understands, and that's been out of production for a while!). The moral here is only believe something is compatible with Windows 7 if the compatibility checker says it is. If it says nothing, assume its likely to be incompatible! What I'm wondering is if you have some hardware that isn't Vista or Win7 compatible. I think you might need to check through everything from the ground up to see if it is compatible. You might also want to list everything on here to see if anyone can spot a problem. Also, there is a slim chance that you have a faulty component that works fine with 32bit programs, but fails when trying to run 64 bit.