Official GIGABYTE Forum

AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI .

AndersCN

Re: AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI .
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 05:03:39 pm »
Hello Absic,

The memory is Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G.

Specified with 1,5V +/- 0,075V

BR,
Anders

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 05:21:57 pm »
Hi Anders,

Well the good news is that your RAM appears on the QVL for Gigabyte and Kingston. But that doesn't explain why you are getting the BSOD's.  :'(

You could try increasing the voltage a little but, being frank, I don't think you should need to so, before we go tweaking in BIOS it might be better to run through some more basic checks first.

Have you tested your RAM using Memtest?
If not I would suggest you do this first as it is possible you have a faulty module. Test each stick individually for at least 10 passes and use the memory slot on the motherboard nearest the CPU.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

AndersCN

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »
I ran Memtest of the first 2000 MB. and immediately this error came out:

"Copying between 401919b and 401904f did not result in accurate copy"
MemTest has detected, that your computer cannot accurately store data in RAM.

And a few minutes later I got BSOD:

Technical information:
***Stop: 0x0000000A (0x00000000A7E5E2F7,0x000000000000000D,0x0000000000000000,0xFFFFF80002AE5594)

BR
Anders

AndersCN

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 08:13:32 am »
Hello,

Yesterday evening I ran all 4 memory sticks through MemTest individually in the first slot nearest to the CPU. Three of the sticks have no errors after 150%, after which I stopped the test. The fourth however had recorded 10 errors like the ones mentioned above, only after 10%, after which I stopped the test.

So appearently, one of the memory sticks is damaged. Now, should I also check the remaing three Memory slots with the good Memory sticks, to check for eventual errors there as well?

You mention 10 passes per stick. Does than mean 1000%?

BR,
Anders

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:16:24 am by AndersCN »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:22:46 am »
Hi Anders,

From what you are saying it would seem you have found the problem, the stick of RAM that isn't passing Memtest. If you bought the RAM as a single 8 GB kit then you will need to RMA all of the memory modules not just the faulty one so running further tests is rather pointless.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

AndersCN

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 11:14:03 am »
Hello Absic,

Well, I am happy to see light at the end of the tunnel :)

It was not me who build the PC, but I think that the RAM used was two pairs with 4GB each.
Now, from my previous experience, I rarely use more than 3 GB, so two 2GB sticks should be enough.

So the second problem now is, that I pulled out the 4 sticks, without noticing which were paired. Would it be wrong just to use two of the three good ones, without taking notice of which ones were paired?

My second question; If I have to buy new 4GB RAM, would it be any benefit at all to use a pair of 2 GB RAM DDR3-1600 in stead of my current DDR3-1333?

BR,
Anders

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 12:23:57 pm »
Hi Anders,

As you have got 3 good sticks why not use those for the time being, giving you 6 GB of RAM? I have quite often had to pull one of my RAM sticks from my own system when doing testing and other things so I know you can run with 3X2GB sticks without a problem. My own RAM is made up of two kits and they got mixed up ages ago and I haven't had any problems so I don't think you need to worry too much about that side of things.

I  actually have 1600MHz RAM that I have down clocked to 1333MHz with the cost of RAM it might be cheaper to buy 1600MHz RAM and do this yourself. It doesn't usually cause any problems but it does give you some room for movement when it comes to overclocking.

AndersCN

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 03:01:55 pm »
Hi Absic,

OK, I´ll plug in the three good ones and redo the Memtest. I just thought that it needed an even number of sticks (2 or 4) to work as Dual-Channel. But maybe I missed something here..  ::)

If finally the BSOD disappears, I have to decide whether I will get an X4 965 or an X6 1090 for Christmas.

BR,
Anders

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 03:07:03 pm »
When you fill three of the slots on the motherboard you will be running in Dual channel mode, so no problems there.

If you can afford it go for the 1090T, it's the CPU I am using and it is pretty impressive!

AndersCN

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 09:55:31 pm »
Hello Absic,

Thanks for the advice through this thread. Yes, that 1090t is tempting..
So if I downclock 1600 MHz RAM to 1333 MHz, do I then also need to decrease RAM voltage as well? I mean most 1600 MHz is rated at 1,65 volts, where as 1333 MHz RAM normally is 1,5 volts?

BR,
Anders

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 07:56:42 am »
Hi Anders,

one of the advantages of downclocking your RAM to 1333 MHz is that the voltage can also come down so you are creating less heat in your system. My RAM is rated at 1.65V but has been running happily at 1.5V for several months.

If you find you are still getting the odd BSOD, because the RAM is underclocked you can safely increase the voltage a little to try and help, which is another advantage.