Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problems in games with GV-N460OC-1GI

Elocor

Re: Problems in games with GV-N460OC-1GI
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 06:48:50 pm »
Yepp its been in two times actualy. only tested at the reseller though. The second time i sent in the gfx card, motherboard and the cpu as it was all bought at the same place and they all were returned with no issue lable.

Ok i will try that. Thanks again.

elajt_1

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 07:26:47 pm »
Hi!

I don't mean to be finicky, but to be sure RAM's good it need at least a 24h run with memtest (lets assume it's good).
PSU might not be operating withint it's specifications. And when stressed unable to output enough juice to the VGA card.
It's probably unlikely but stranger things has happend. I would A. Try my card in my friends rig (assuming his PSU is powerful enough).
If that works alright, B.Try another PSU on your own rig.

Btw, you have my sympaties, looking for errors on your own rig is so bloody boring and tiresome. Sure it's pretty easy if you have
a double set of everything in the PC, but most people don't so...

Elocor

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:03 am »
Here's a brainiac... I'v tested the card in two other computers. The first computer has the same issue and that is AMD based. What i can remember of the speccs are that he have a Phenom II but 2.8ghz or something, 2x 2gb ddr 2 ram blocks. Here's the twist though. The second computer it has been tested in seams to run it ok. I might need to run some longer tests and stuff on that one but it ran longer than it has ever run in my rig. The second computer is intel based with Core i7 thats all i realy know about that rig. I doubt its a incompability issue with these cards and amd as i think the web would be crawling with people with the same issue in that case. But maby it can give you guys any ideas.

I will try the PCI-e clock you suggested Absic and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Edit: btw thanks Elajt! I have all my stuff from my old rig still with me for times like these. :) And actualy i have tested another psu in the system with the same issue however its only 550w so i cant be sure its enough. Also Corsair (Corsair VX 550W PSU).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:19:44 am by Elocor »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 10:14:44 am »
I have to say that I actually moved away from NVidia Cards on my systems because of issues I was facing several years ago. Although there is no hard evidence that NVidia GPU's struggle on the AMD Platform, I have found quite a few instances where teh only way to resolve Graphic problems has been to switch to an ATI Card.

Whenever I  build an AMD based PC, I use ATI Cards as they have proven to be a lot less hassle for me and also for my friends on the AMD side of things.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 10:22:11 am »
Personally I too favour the ATI based cards. I wouldn't install a nVidia card in my machine as I find them just too troublesome, hot and noisy. At the moment I think the majority of their problems come from badly written drivers/firmware but whatever the root cause if they are not stable then I wouldn't want to know.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Elocor

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 10:26:01 am »
You know what Absic. I have always run ATI cards in my previous rigs without any problems ever. But this time i followed a bunch of peoples advice and went for a gforce as it was "more for gamers" and "PhysX is like sweet yo". Been regreting that for quite a while now :)

Elocor

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 10:37:59 am »
If the pci-e clock thing does not work i think im just gona plead to my reseller to take it back and if that does not work i will sell it and buy ATI even if that means me loosing some cash on the deal.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 10:41:10 am »
I wonder how many of those offering advice are doing so from the Intel side of things rather than the AMD platform? ???

In theory, there shouldn't be any problems running NVidia cards on AMD boards but this is computing and s*** happens. Although I don't claim to be an expert on such matters I wouldn't mind betting that there is some form of incompatibility with the motherboard drivers for the AMD Chipsets and the NVidia Graphic drivers although I can't prove that and all the "evidence" I have is purely anecdotal.

All I do know for certain is that switching to ATI GPU's on the AMD platform has given me a lot less headaches  and a lot less downtime!  :P
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

jannie

• Your Never To Old To Learn
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 11:33:15 am »
Hi .Elocor, well as you can see from my rig, I have just installed the same card as you. I originally had ATI 5770, but as I am into dvd and bluray, I wanted to back up my collection and the software I use is dvd fab , which is written to operate with Nvidea and hence the change.
I have been watching your post and waiting to see if you got a solution to your problem..I dont do games and therefore dont have the same issues as you, But copying bluray needs lots of processing and it seems to be copying some bluray's. I must admit sometimes when I start up win7 ultimate, on a few occasions it  doesn't load and i have to let windows check, and then all works ok.I have also had on a few occasions the graphics stop working when on the computer and a few times where the system loads up and does not install the grahics. I have also tried both the drivers that you mention. I suppose the same as me, you have read lots of people having problems with this card on different forums..Well sorry this doesn't help your problem, but at least your not on your own. Being a newbie I did not know you can update the card bios, maybe absic can advise me on this, as I have seen on Toms hardware site, where someone else was having the same probs and was advised not to update.. :-\
2x Cooler Master HAF X full tower
Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 AMD 790X AM3 Motherboard
AMD CPU Phenom II 1090Tx6
Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 8GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333)
Corsair HX 850 W  (PSU)
Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 CPU Cooler
1GB Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 460 OC Graphic

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 12:33:48 pm »
Flashing the BIOS for your GPU carries the same risks as Flashing the BIOS  on your motherboard, maybe more as there is no back-up BIOS on a GPU and is something you should only do if the update is know to cure a specific problem.

If you are thinking of flashing the BIOS on your Graphic card then I would advise looking through this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2439.0.html beofre you do so as it goes through the necessary steps.

Elocor

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 05:16:41 pm »
Hi again guys. Been testing the pci-e clocking and when i get to 103 and above it just dies almost instantly although at 100 i played for like 15 min. Though i cant go down. the first step on pci-e clocking is auto then 100 and upwards no steps lower like 99. Do i need to activate something or is it just how this bios is built, meaning i cant clock it below 100?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 05:21:28 pm »
It's probably due to the way BIOS is written but as I don't have access to your motherboard I can't be certain.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Have you raised this problem with GTTS? If not, it might be worth while doing that as they maybe able to offer another insight as to what is actually causing you this problem.

Elocor

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 05:30:30 pm »
Yes i'v contacted gigabyte support prior to the second time i sent the card back to my reseller for RMA and i followed their advice in trying other ram blocks and trying in another computer which lead to them suggesting i send it back to my reseller which i did together with cpu and Motherboard. But they could not find anything wrong. I do not know how they tested it but they were informed that the problems i had was when starting games and putting some load on the card so i guess they tested it in some game.

But i think im just gona plead to them one last time as i said erlier and if that does not help i will simply sell the card privatly and by myself ATI.

Thanks Alot for your help Absic and also Dark Mantis! Btw. would it be ok if i included our trubleshooting in a mail to my reseller?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:32:22 pm by Elocor »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »
Yes, any information you can give to your seller might help them pinpoint the problems you are having.
I'm sorry to say this but a lot of times I'm not really certain if they actually test things properly and the fact that we have tried so many things here might just help them focus a little bit more.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 06:12:03 pm »
I would second what absic just said and often I think it is just something said to shut the customer up. I am sure that many times, especailly when something comes back NFF, and that it definitely is faulty they just haven't tested it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB