Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 460: DVI to HDMI TV doesn't detect TV

lordax

GTX 460: DVI to HDMI TV doesn't detect TV
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:19:35 am »
Hello.
2 days ago I had GTX 275; I had connected to TV (Sony Bravia) from DVI to TV's HDMI, so I was able to clone in control panel meaning that whenever I played a movie on PC I could watch it on TV.
Then I changed to a GTX460. Followed  the same procedure: just reconnected the very same cable to the second DVI port (from motherboard point of view, the one on the right, while the one next to the the mobo is used to connecto the BenQ monitor) but nothing happened; screen on TV is just black, like nothing is connected; so I checked on nVidia control panel and the TV is not shown as detected; did a force check but didn't work either.
Thinking the remote possibility that the cable could be damaged (working just minutes ago on the previous VGA) I bought a new one and an HDMI to HDMI; none of them worked either. I really don't understand what I'm missing here.
I'm on Windows Home Premium 64bit.
i7 930 on a P6T SE
Thanks for any help

Re: GTX 460: DVI to HDMI TV doesn't detect TV
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »
What length of cable are you using?

What quality of cable are you using?

I found that this card does not like cheap hdmi cables at all (there may be some out there that do work nicely, but the 7 I tried just gave me a blank screen), they just simply do not work with it. I needed to replace my cable with a much higher quality one to get it to work via minihdmi (adapter)-hdmi-hdmi
or
dvi-d (adapter)-hdmi-hdmi

tris

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 01:17:25 pm »

I found that this card does not like cheap hdmi cables at all (there may be some out there that do work nicely, but the 7 I tried just gave me a blank screen), they just simply do not work with it. I needed to replace my cable with a much higher quality one to get it to work via minihdmi (adapter)-hdmi-hdmi
or
dvi-d (adapter)-hdmi-hdmi

I don't know how relevant it is in this situation but a lot of these cards don't seem to work well with adapters.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

lordax

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 03:00:50 pm »
I've bought 3 cables now, all of them are very expensive, golden and blah blah, they are the real deal according to the seller. None of them work.
I'm lost here. Thing is, the cable just worked a few hours back, I didn't have any problem unplugging it or plugging it again.

lordax

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:01:26 am »
So this is the place to "talk" between customers? Where you get help from manufacturer? I thought someone would care a bit about their customers... *sigh*

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 11:40:07 am »
If you want help directly from Gigabyte themselves I would suggest opening a dialogue with them through GGTS.

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:27:15 pm »
I don't know how relevant it is in this situation but a lot of these cards don't seem to work well with adapters.

I am simply going by personal expierance, I tried a few cheap cables and none of them worked. I then bought a pro 2 series cable from HDcables and used the supplied adapter and the card worked just fine.

No video card seem to like adapter's, but since the supplier supplie's adapters with the cards one would only assume that they work with the supplied adapter and a suitable cable.

lordax

If the cable's happen to have come from a certain auction site, then you were probably given false information as I was.

I presume you have tried just connecting to the tv directly from the pc?

Is the resolution you use on the monitor higher than that of the tv?
If not, this could also cause this issue.

Some software/hardware does not allow video to be viewed via clone mode, as it breaches the copy protection in some way (never understood it myself) but this can also lead to loss of picture.

Instead of cloneing try extending the display, this can be awkward in my own expierance, but you can then drag the software player over to the tv and blow it up to full screen.

Or maybe set the software to switch from monitor ro tv (turning off the monitor).
I'm not sure how to do this yet as I am still getting used to the nvidia software as I used to use catalyst with my ati card which was a nightmare. I'm sure someone will be abel to take you through this step by step, Dark Mantis maybe you can?

The first thing to do is make sure you connect up your pc directly to your tv with nothing going to a monitor or anything else, as you need to get a picture on your tv before you can try any of the above.

Failing this, go to the link that Dark Mantis has provided or if where you bought the card from has good customer service give them a call, as I'm sure they will help. I have done this in the past.

tris

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 08:29:15 pm »

I am simply going by personal expierance, I tried a few cheap cables and none of them worked. I then bought a pro 2 series cable from HDcables and used the supplied adapter and the card worked just fine.

No video card seem to like adapter's, but since the supplier supplie's adapters with the cards one would only assume that they work with the supplied adapter and a suitable cable. Not a punt at you of course, but if it comes with an adapter I expect it to function :)

lordax

If the cable's happen to have come from a certain auction site, then you were probably given false information as I was.

I presume you have tried just connecting to the tv directly from the pc?

Is the resolution you use on the monitor higher than that of the tv?
If not, this could also cause this issue.

Some software/hardware does not allow video to be viewed via clone mode, as it breaches the copy protection in some way (never understood it myself) but this can also lead to loss of picture.

Instead of cloneing try extending the display, this can be awkward in my own expierance, but you can then drag the software player over to the tv and blow it up to full screen.

Or maybe set the software to switch from monitor ro tv (turning off the monitor).
I'm not sure how to do this yet as I am still getting used to the nvidia software as I used to use catalyst with my ati card which was a nightmare. I'm sure someone will be abel to take you through this step by step, Dark Mantis maybe you can?

The first thing to do is make sure you connect up your pc directly to your tv with nothing going to a monitor or anything else, as you need to get a picture on your tv before you can try any of the above.

Failing this, go to the link that Dark Mantis has provided or if where you bought the card from has good customer service give them a call, as I'm sure they will help. I have done this in the past.

tris

lordax

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:58 pm »
Hi nero.
I went to that link. No answer yet.
I tried to plug just the TV on the port that uses the monitor (the one next to the card itself) and it did worked. When I plugged the monitor (PC turn off) upon restarting, mobo did 3 blips sounds, tho in fact restarted as I watched it all happen on the TV. Also I tried to plug the monitor to the HDMI port but didn't get signal either. I'm beginning to think that this might be a faulty card with faulty ports, but only one of the DVI and HDMI ports. The thing is, before the 460, I was using a 270 and it did work properly, apart from the card itself, all I did was to update the drivers. I even started a fresh windows in a new disk.
Oh, the cables are golden and purchased at a famous hardware store here, I spent already 60 euros on cables. And the fact that the same cable worked before, AND that it did work when using just the TV shows me that it's not a matter of cable.
Thanks for the answers. Too bad about customers support :(

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 08:37:41 am »
GGTS normally take about a week to ten days to answer a question. I really can't explain why it is so long, maybe they just don't employ enough people in that section.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Strahd

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:02:55 pm »
I know this might be a shot in the dark but here it goes anyway: what PSU are you using? There's a (probably remote) possibility that your new power hungry graphics does not get enough power to run 2 screens at the same time.