Official GIGABYTE Forum

Front Panel Power Switch LED, Intermittently lit? (EX58-UD3R)

Hi guys, I phoned the Gigabyte Customer service number and they couldn't help so they told me to register on the forum to see if anybody could help with my problem. So here goes!

Basically upon turning on the PC the LED for the power switch (above the HDD light) will turn on for 10 seconds, then switch off for ten seconds, then switch back on again and so on...So I'm just trying to find out if this is maybe the motherboard telling me something is wrong (possibly power-related?)

Anyway I've downloaded a few diagnostic tools and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with any other hardware, all fans are running properly, the temperature of the case, CPU and GPU are all fine and I haven't had any stability issues at all, I'm just wondering if this could be a prelude to some future problem.

Here are my machine specs:

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R MOBO, i7920 2.67 overclocked to 3.2, XFX HD 4890, 6 GB OCZ RAM, Coolermaster Elite Case. Thanks for your help!

Re: Front Panel Power Switch LED, Intermittently lit? (EX58-UD3R)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 02:38:48 pm »
Oh yes, and the PSU is a 650W Corsair.

FluX

• Don't blame me... it worked fine b4 you touched it
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 02:42:52 pm »
Have you connected the Power LED to the PWR_LED connection or the MSG (message) LED connection?

Alledgedly they both operate the same, but there may be some subtle differences?

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 02:51:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked the front panel connectors as I bought the system pre-built, I will do when I get home though. I've only noticed this happening over the last couple of days. I initially thought the Gigabyte Dynamic Energy Saver was controlling the LED to reduce power consumption, but I've deleted the software and it's still happening.

Pottypete

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:09:20 am »
Hi,
Check the connections to the led are on the right header, as flux post
If they seen to be right, give the PC builder a phone call under your warranty,
Cheers

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:48:15 am »
Thanks for your replies guys. I opened the case last night and the power switch LEDs weren't plugged into the PWR_LED connector so I put them in there although the same thing was still happening.

Another thing that makes me think the issue is BIOS/ MOBO related is that the LED won’t start flashing until Windows has booted, during boot the LED is constantly on. and I timed the intervals between it turning on and off, and it was exactly 5 seconds. Is this something I’ve enabled in the bios possibly?

FluX

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:51:20 am »
Normally that only happens when you put the PC into Standby, I'm not 100% on the timing of the LED flashing but I think its only like 1/2 sec on 1/2 sec off.

How about in the Power Options in control panel? Anything unusual set there?

If its BIOS...
You could just photograph or screenshot all your BIOS screens (or save BIOS) then reset to defaults and see if the LED goes back to steady.
Then adjust settings one at a time, or a few at a time (but not all at once) and keep monitoring LED everytime you boot until you find the reason/problem?
Could it be something to do with CIA2 if your using that?

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:16:06 pm »
I think CIA 2 is disabled as the CPU came pre-overclocked, I will check when I get home tonight, also I will try what you suggested with resetting the BIOS, thanks.

Also, I found this on a google search, It sounds like this person was having the same issue as me? I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think I have a C4E option in the BIOS, and like I said I’ve tried uninstalling the DES software…

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-252945_12_0.htm

FluX

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:21:18 pm »
That link isn't working for me? 404 error

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 04:35:18 pm »
Oh right, not sure why that doesn't work, if you google "ga-ep45-ds3r case power led blinking", it's the title of the thread on Tom's Hardware and the second link on the google search, sorry that's a pain.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-252945_12_0.html

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 04:37:07 pm »
I think the link above is working now  :)

Pottypete

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:59:43 pm »
Hi,
Read the link you supplied
and the answer is there,
----------------------------------------------------------------
Got the same problem with the same board (Bios F10). And solved it with your help :hello:
When you enable DES, by default it will enable the phase LED on the motherboard.
They don't say It will make the power on Led blinks slowly as in a suspend state :bounce:
Happily, below the big Enable DES button, there is a small green LED.
If you turn it off with a click, the phase LED are disabled and the power LED seems to work normally :pt1cable:

Hope it helps, Hervé

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:10 pm »
Sorted now, re-read that link I posted, all I needed to do was open the DES software and click on the green LED! Thanks for your help, to be honest the flashing light didn't bother me at all as long as I knew it wasn't a problem indicator.

FluX

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 09:15:56 am »
Wouldn't you think something which is directly the result of Gigabytes own software, should have been resolved by the Customer Service Rep ?
Or at least explained in the User Manual somewhere? (I looked, and couldn't find it)
Eventually got the link cheers.
Glad your sorted now Seabass

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 09:56:27 am »
Hi FluX

Thanks for your suggestion about info in User Manual, yes I agree with you
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)