Official GIGABYTE Forum

Have any suggestions, advice, constructive criticisms, etc. on my new build?

Hi everyone!

Ok, I thought I would start a post in the hope I might learn more as I build my first AMD hex core with small bells and whistles.  Please give me any suggestions, comments, constructive criticisms, etc. on my new build.  

I will also share any struggles, challenges, victories I might encounter along the way in the hope others may learn from my mistakes, newbie errors, etc.

Everything seemed to go quite well during the first process of opening the new processor box, new MB box, and new H70 box.  As I began to put it all together, I did run into some challenges...

First challenge was that somehow I did not place the1055t processor correctly into the beige looking box on the MB.  I did match up the triangle, but the pins on the processor did not drop into the holes on the beige looking box on the MB.  I noticed this when I carefully looked it over before pressing the silver looking rod on the beige looking box on the MB.  Fortunate for me, I discovered this before I pressed that silver rod [I think if I had pushed that silver looking rod on the beige looking box on the MB before properly seating the 1055t processor, it could have been a golden loss]!

To remedy the situation, it only required that I carefully remove the processor and re-seat it again.  After checking carefully for bent pins on the processor, I gently set the processor into the beige looking box on the MB and this time it dropped right into the holes on the beige looking box on the MB and was perfectly flush.  Not sure what I did wrong on the first attempt.  I should have took a pic though...

Before you give me a total tongue lashing, please remember, I have done nearly 100% Intel for my entire building experience....

Second challenge [and this included a rather large blunder on my part], was over tightening the Corsair mounting screws as I attached the H70 to the MB.  I bent the motherboard 0.5 mm's by overtightening the Corsair H70 screws....[yeah, I know, OUCH]!  BTW, the Corsair H70 instruction booklet and the Utube video on H70/AMD installation do not give clear and concise directions...

Here is a warning for anyone else desiring to use the H70 on an AMD MB: Think AMD, not Intel!

On the Intel mounting brackets, you really do tighten the screws until the plastic spacers are flush with the MB.  When installing the H70 bracket with plastic spacers on the AMD MB, MAKE SURE TO LEAVE A 0.1 mm - 0.15 mm GAP BETWEEN THE MOUNTING BRACKET SPACERS AND THE AMD MOTHERBOARD OR YOU WILL BEND THE HECK OUT OF YOUR NICE GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD JUST LIKE I JUST DID!  The H70 spacers actually will drop down, into the MB holes if you keep tightening and soon, your nice motherboard will look just like the curvature on the Golden Gate Bridge here in California:

--------
                                                                        --------           -------
                                                              _____                               _____
----------------------------------------------                                                   ----------------------------------------------

The Golden Gate Bridge is beautiful to look at....I just did not want to see in on my nice new Gigabyte Motherboard!

I just learned I cannot be singing Intel songs and dreaming about Intel hex cores while working on an AMD rig...I just discovered some very subtle differences between the two and made some beautiful mountains and valleys on my MB because I was not paying careful enough attention!

Now I am hoping I did not damage and/or permanently ruin my nice sweet looking 890-XA-UD3!

I suppose I will soon find out if my Gigabyte board will still fly!

Well, I have posted the first 2 pics of my new build...please be patient with me, I still am not done!

Soar
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:13:41 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Have question on how/where to enable AHCI
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 05:23:43 pm »
I need some help on how to enable AHCI in the BIOS.

I am seeing [3] specific settings where AHCI can be enabled:

OnChip SATA Type
Onboard GSATA Mode
Onboard ESATA mode

Can someone kindly help me know how to set this BIOS up for running a SSD?  I am not sure if all, some, or none are to be enabled.

Thanks,

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

Set On Chip SATA controller to AHCI for your SSD and any other HDD's

Set GSATA to IDE for your DVD burner

Set e-SATA to AHCI if you plan on using external e-SATA drives or Disabled if you're not going to be using them.

Also Disable Floppy Drive in BIOS if you're not using that as sometimes it can cause problems when loading Windows.

I would suggest only running the SSD and your DVD/CD writer whilst you install your OS and then add any other hard-drives after it has been installed.

You shouldn't need to pre-load any drivers when you Install Windows 7 and don't be tempted to install the AMD ones once you're up and running as they are not as good as the Native Microsoft AHCI Drivers.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Hi Soar,

Set On Chip SATA controller to AHCI for your SSD and any other HDD's

Set GSATA to IDE for your DVD burner

Set e-SATA to AHCI if you plan on using external e-SATA drives or Disabled if you're not going to be using them.

Also Disable Floppy Drive in BIOS if you're not using that as sometimes it can cause problems when loading Windows.

I would suggest only running the SSD and your DVD/CD writer whilst you install your OS and then add any other hard-drives after it has been installed.

You shouldn't need to pre-load any drivers when you Install Windows 7 and don't be tempted to install the AMD ones once you're up and running as they are not as good as the Native Microsoft AHCI Drivers.

Absic,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will set the BIOS now.  So far, it looks real good!

Soar

UPDATE 1: Ok, BIOS updated to F6a.  Loaded optimized defaults, everything looking A-OK!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:22:00 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Bandcamp
see, I told you it would be easier once you came over to the light side......!  ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
see, I told you it would be easier once you came over to the light side......!  ;)

That's not a fair comment! Obviously things are easier when you can see what you're doing  ::)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

see, I told you it would be easier once you came over to the light side......!  ;)

I suppose there are great pros and cons on each side just as in the many other areas of this exciting life!

BTW, I just installed the SSD, but trying to discover the best way to partition and format it.  Anyone here use GParted Live before to format a SSD?

I did read the post where Wonderwrench gave a very strong warning about not using Windows 7 set up to do the dirty work...

I carefully read his post and instructions, but I still have some questions...

Is he saying I can partition and format the SSD in any Windows computer and then slap it into this new AMD rig?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:17:38 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

jannie

• Your Never To Old To Learn
Hi Soar. See us old codgers are not written off yet...Maybe better if you get a big spyglass....or even go to spec savers ::)  only kidding really...keep going mateand you will soon hear the magic post beep.
2x Cooler Master HAF X full tower
Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 AMD 790X AM3 Motherboard
AMD CPU Phenom II 1090Tx6
Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 8GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333)
Corsair HX 850 W  (PSU)
Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 CPU Cooler
1GB Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 460 OC Graphic

Hi Soar. See us old codgers are not written off yet...Maybe better if you get a big spyglass....or even go to spec savers ::)  only kidding really...keep going mateand you will soon hear the magic post beep.

Jannie,

Thanks and yes, got the post now.  Presently reading up on updating the firmware on the OCZ SSD.  Apparently many folk deem it important, so I'm trying to read up on it and do it right!

This is definitely an exciting adventure!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

see, I told you it would be easier once you came over to the light side......!  ;)

I suppose there are great pros and cons on each side just as in the many other areas of this exciting life!

BTW, I just installed the SSD, but trying to discover the best way to partition and format it.  Anyone here use GParted Live before to format a SSD?

I did read the post where Wonderwrench gave a very strong warning about not using Windows 7 set up to do the dirty work...

I carefully read his post and instructions, but I still have some questions...

Is he saying I can partition and format the SSD in any Windows computer and then slap it into this new AMD rig?

Hi soarwitheagles, If you are going to partition and format the drive in Windows it must be a Windows Vista of Windows 7 PC. If that's not an option
follow the steps below. Use a single partition only!

Windows 7 Installation Advanced Drive Formatting
1 - Boot up from the Windows 7 installation disc.
2 - Choose Repair your computer.
3 - In the System Recovery Options screen, choose Use recovery tools... and click Next.
4 - Open the Command Prompt.
5 - Type diskpart and hit Enter.
6 - Type list disk . Find the disk you wish to install Windows 7 on. If you only have one disk then it will show as disk 0. If you have multiple disks find the drive you wish to install 7 on.
7 - Type select disk 0 (or use the number of the disk you wish to install Windows 7 on)(note - that is a zero)
8 - Type list partition. There shouldn't be any.
9 - Type create partition primary.
10- Type select partition 1.
11- Type active.
12- Type format quick.
13- When finished reboot and begin your installation.

The above info was a copy and paste from Tweakhound.com. I have known Tweakhound for close to ten years and can safely say he picked the right name and knows what he is talking about. His website is a wealth of information and well worth a visit.

Bill
Main Box*i7 930@3.5 Ghz*CM V6 GT*GA X58A-UD3R v2 FB bios*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*OCZ Vertex 3 MI 120 gig*WD  Blue 500 gig*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*Teac Floppy*Corsair AX750*Rosewill R6AR6-BK case*Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

Bill,

Thank you for that post.  Ok, I followed those instructions and sure enough, it worked perfectly!  Thank you so much! I just finished installing the MB drivers and now the system is downloading all the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit updates.

I am having a couple of challenges now in other areas and I am not sure what to do...

First, I must confess my sins...

I forgot to disable "Keep DMI Data" before flashing the BIOS!.  I hope Absic does not shoot me.  I was too excited with the new build and went a little too fast.  Now I am not sure what to do...I hope there is someway to rectify my blunder...

Second issue, I downloaded OCZ's Firmware update [1.24] ran the updater, but Crystal Disk is still showing that I have Firmware 1.22.  I am not sure what to do on that...

Last, I am not sure at what point in time I should plug in all the storage and program HD's.  I only have the small 60gb SSD running at the moment....and I think I need to plug in the other HD's so I can begin to load my program files...

And now for a wonderful victory report: This new AMD system is transfering files from hard drive to flash drive literally 5 times faster than my Intel i5-750 rig I have posted in my sig.  I am not sure why this system is smoking the Intel on the transfer rate yet...but I sure am happy about it!

Thanks again everyone for helping so much!!!!  This has been really fun and exciting and the system is up and running just fine!

Soar
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:52:49 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Bandcamp
I forgot to disable "Keep DMI Data" before flashing the BIOS!.  I hope Absic does not shoot me.  I was too excited with the new build and went a little too fast.  Now I am not sure what to do...I hope there is someway to rectify my blunder...
Easiest way is, if everything seems fine, leave it alone! If you really, really, really want to do it right then all you have to do is re-flash BIOS, remembering to disable the "KEEP DMI DATA" option, and go through the usual steps of reconfiguring your BIOS afterwards. I know what I would do!  :P (Note: firing squad has been sent home for Thanksgiving so you're OK....... just this once.)

Now you have got the OS installed you can add your other HDD's. When I do this I normally add one and let windows find it and do it's stuff, shut down and add the next, let windows find that one, etc., etc. I find that Windows prefers this method and it helps keeps things a little clearer if there is a problem, although you could add them all at once.

See, didn't I tell you that you had nothing to fear from building an AMD PC. I bet you wish that you had done it much sooner now!

I forgot to disable "Keep DMI Data" before flashing the BIOS!.  I hope Absic does not shoot me.  I was too excited with the new build and went a little too fast.  Now I am not sure what to do...I hope there is someway to rectify my blunder...
Easiest way is, if everything seems fine, leave it alone! If you really, really, really want to do it right then all you have to do is re-flash BIOS, remembering to disable the "KEEP DMI DATA" option, and go through the usual steps of reconfiguring your BIOS afterwards. I know what I would do!  :P (Note: firing squad has been sent home for Thanksgiving so you're OK....... just this once.)

Now you have got the OS installed you can add your other HDD's. When I do this I normally add one and let windows find it and do it's stuff, shut down and add the next, let windows find that one, etc., etc. I find that Windows prefers this method and it helps keeps things a little clearer if there is a problem, although you could add them all at once.

See, didn't I tell you that you had nothing to fear from building an AMD PC. I bet you wish that you had done it much sooner now!

Hi again Absic!  And thanks for your mercy toward me after I forgot the disable of Dmi data.

Everything was working so perfect and I was so happy...

Hooked up each of the HD's as you said, and they all are working well...

In fact, the entire system was working so well that it felt like a taste of heaven!

Then I received the shock of my life!!!

After spending lots of time routing wires real neat and tidy, I also decided to add the new Hauppauge 2250 tv tuner card PCI express 1 or 16.

I am not sure if it was a wrong wire or the TV tuner but immediately upon power up, my system soared immediately up to 60 something Celsius and then shut down...

I looked at everything carefully, then powered up again only to find the temps went vertical again and system shut down.

I began to be afraid that now my new 1055T is turning into a frying pan instead of doing the work of a processor.

I did two things...I changed the wire going to the Corsair pump, and rerouted a new wire to the Corsair.  The TV tuner card kept bugging me too...I felt really uneasy about it, so I removed that as well.

Now the temps are back to normal.  But I am not.  My hair is much grayer, and so vertically straight I look like a genuine punk rocker now...

Ok, jokes aside, this just scared the heck out of me.  I've never had a system shut off due to excessive heat.

Now I am trying to determine what or who is the culprit.

My first suspect is me.  I have worked hour upon hour upon hour and have not had much rest.

My second suspect is the TV tuner card.  Here is my question:  Can a TV tuner card cause the processor heat to go vertical?  Is it possible there is a short on the MB at the PCI-X1?

I am too tired at this moment to work anymore on it.  I made the mistake of working too long at this.  Need more patience.

I will grab some rest, then work on this again tomorrow sometime in the evening.

Please share any and all thoughts you may have with me.

BTW, the temps are hovering at 29.1 ever since I removed the TV tuner card and used a new wire for the Corsair pump.

I did feel every component of the build and the only parts that were HOT was the Corsair Pump and the two water cooling hoses that come out of the pump that are metal.  Each of these two items were so hot that they could easily burn my fingers.  The radiator was cool as a cucumber and so was everything else such as the GPU, HD's, PSU, RAM, TV Tuner Card, etc.

I think it is possible that I might have hooked up a wire wrong to the pump.

I'll try again tomorrow.  I need some rest now.  I feel as if I am 3,278 years old.

Soar crawls to bed....as most of his feathers fall out....

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:15:24 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
I did feel every component of the build and the only parts that were HOT was the Corsair Pump and the two water cooling hoses that come out of the pump that are metal.  Each of these two items were so hot that they could easily burn my fingers.  The radiator was cool as a cucumber and so was everything else such as the GPU, HD's, PSU, RAM, TV Tuner Card, etc.

From your description, Soar, it sounds like the pump isn't actually pumping and the generated heat from the CPU is staying locallised to the pump header unit. I don't know why the TV card would have any bearing on it but that would be my first point of action.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Tiredness can cause us to make some mistakes and as you have said, maybe the cabling for the H70 went a little awry when you added the TV Card. I would be surprised if the TV Card was actually causing the problem, although it can't be discounted.

Hopefully, after a little rest and looking at things with fresh eyes you will spot the problem. But, one good thing, at least you know the PC will shutdown if there's an overheating problem!