Official GIGABYTE Forum

Connecting a PC Monitor on ATI HDMI causes a 1" black border on screen

Gyumaou

Near a year after the last post here, the problem still exists. Registered to say thanks for the info, saved me a lot of searching.

For the newer versions of CCC the location of the setting is somewhat different, see attached screenie (toggle advanced mode first).

cheers!

AgentFXA

• none
While this works for the desktop some games still show this border.. Crysis(2) I've seen it!

X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

pendaws

Re: Connecting a PC Monitor on ATI HDMI causes a 1" black border on screen
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 10:03:52 am »
I agree. I found this by accident today while installing a 7790 ATI.

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 12:48:43 am »
Even though this "Sort of works" it makes text look a faded and terrible and it is completely unacceptable that I have to use a "workaround" to support the screen space that comes with a modern monitor. It is absolute nonsense in this day and age that when I spend good money on what I think is a quality GPU and I'm not talking a cheapo card here and it can't even support the native resolution of a standard monitor through HDMI (A standard monitor connection since 2003) If this is a problem that is built into the cards that have this problem then riddle me this.
When I connect my pair of BenQ GW2750s to the Gigabyte 7870OC installed in PCIe slot 1 on my ASROCK OC Formula/ac MB they both render utilizing the full native resolution supported by the screen. The same is true of my pair of Acer H274HL monitors. However when I connect either pair to the matching 7870OC installed in PCIe slot 2 the monitor connected to the HDMI port exhibits this ridiculous limitation.
I also have this problem on my second computer with a Gigabyte HD 6850 OC GPU and a pair of Acer P244Ws.
Why on earth would any company deliberately build into a GPU such a limitation when the GPUs out there are going to be supporting 97% monitors (A Guess) and not TVs as someone suggested.
Absolute nonsense I tell you!!!
ATI needs to get this worked out. I have no idea what the reason is for this problem but I can't believe they have not worked it out by now.
I was under the impression before I came across this site that the problem was Gigabyte since I saw this problem with both Gigabyte models I am using but I see here that the problem seems to be built into the ATI GPU architecture and is not exactly Gigabyte's fault after all.

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 11:30:11 am »
I'm connected through GeForce 8400GS and getting 1" black borders. I didn't figure out how to solve it. I'm still frustated about this monitor which has an incedible visible area that I can't use at full resolution!!!

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 05:55:02 pm »
I'm connected through GeForce 8400GS and getting 1" black borders. I didn't figure out how to solve it. I'm still frustated about this monitor which has an incedible visible area that I can't use at full resolution!!!

It seems AMD is unbelievably unconcerned by the fact that after almost 2 years they still have this ridiculous limitation built into the architecture of their GPUs. Since my last post I have started using NVidia GPUs and this limitation doesn't exist at all. You can actually utilize the full area of your monitor as it was meant to be used.

There is a work around. You need to use Catalyst Control Center. Go to "My Digital Flat-Panels"
Then go to "Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel)" and scale it to Overscan 0%. This will STRETCH the screen to the full area of your screen. It's NOT A GREAT solution since as I pointed out it makes text appear washed out and hard to see but I guess that's the quality that AMD is committed to. I certainly will not buy another AMD GPU since they just ignore their customers needs for whatever reason.