Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte 890xa -SATA Boot configuration

Gigabyte 890xa -SATA Boot configuration
« on: December 05, 2010, 01:12:16 pm »
Hello to all this is my first time at the site...I have never used SATA before so my question might sound stupid
I want to put my 2 new hd's on sata 0 and 1 and my 2 dvd drives on sata 2 and 3. My question is how and where do they show up in the bios? I only see IDE listed and how do I select the drive where I want to install the operating system on...I told you it was stupid....But its the only way I  will learn is by asking...thanks to all ... WizardofGap

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Gigabyte 890xa -SATA Boot configuration
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 01:18:17 pm »
Hi there,
one of the problems with Gigabyte's BIOS is that they show SATA devices as IDE and it gets very confusing. Don't worry, when you plug them in and start up your PC they will be shown under the heading Standard CMOS Features.

However, I would recommend only installing one of your hard-drives and one of your DVD Drives in the beginning. Install your OS then add the other Hard drive and DVD Writer once you have finished that process. If you are going to install Windows or Linux it should find the Hard drive automatically. In the first instance hit the F12 key during the BOOT process and highlight the DVD Drive as your first BOOT Device. You can safely change this back to HDD once you have installed your OS although you shouldn't really need to.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:26:20 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 02:02:08 pm »
 :) Thanks so much. I will do as you instructed and install only one hd and one dvd player in the beginning and then add the rest after. You couldnt have made it any easier....Thanks again ....WizardofGap

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 02:07:47 pm »
No problem and pleased to have been of some help.

You might like to check this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3619.0.html of a build review of the GA-890FXA-UD5 that I did as it might give you some other thoughts on putting your PC together.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.