Official GIGABYTE Forum

Need a new PCI or PCIe wireless card

Tink

Need a new PCI or PCIe wireless card
« on: December 11, 2010, 12:08:20 am »
Hi all,  :)

I have been having problems with videos skipping and freezing on my IE8. I dual boot with Vista Ultimate SP2  and Windows 7 Ultimate, both 32 bit. I run wireless from a NetGear wireless router Model # WGR614v9. We are a private network. I  have two other desktops and 2 laptops, the other desktop and both laptops are wireless. Videos and other graphics work fine on all the other machines, which also have Vista, Win7 and XP Pro SP3.

The motherboard on the subject desktop is a Gigabyte: GA-790XTA-UDA4, 9 GB, SGB133 02770  which is not yet a year old.

RAM - 4 GB

The current wireless card in this machine is a Wireless PCIe - ASUS PCI-N13 PCI Express

The LAN adapter is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Graphics card - ATI Radeon Sapphire Radeon ATI G-SKILL: 10666 Cl8D 4 GB BHK

From all the troubleshooting I have done in the past several months in regards to the video problems, it seems that the problem is with either the wireless card or the video card. The other desktop is an older machine with less RAM (2 GB) and older hardware. The wireless card in that machine is a Gigabyte PCI Wireless Adapter, Model: GN- WP01GS, and an Abit IC7-G mobo. Videos work fine in that machine, and all others. It is only the one desktop that is having the problem.  Before I invest in a new graphics card to see if that is the problem, I would like to try a different wireless card, but, am not sure which type might work best with my Gigabyte mobo. Should I stick with the Express type card, or a regular one, I can use either in the mobo. If I use a Gigabyte wireless card, which one would work best with my mobo? I don't have a lot of free money to spend on a new card, but, would like to get a good one.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.  

Jan :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:09:57 am by Tink »