Official GIGABYTE Forum

Main BIOS checksum error

Rob-H

Main BIOS checksum error
« on: July 16, 2009, 11:04:37 am »
Hi,

I have a PC running Vista with a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard which has been working fine.  As far as I know I have done nothing to alter the BIOS or any BIOS settings since the computer was supplied to me a couple of months ago.  However, it has just started to produce the following message during the loading process:  "Warning: Main BIOS Checksum Error!" followed by a string of dots.  It then goes on to load normally.

I don't know why it has started to happen but shouldn't it repair itself from the backup copy?  Is there anything I can do to correct the problem?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Pottypete

Re: Main BIOS checksum error
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:02:11 pm »
Hi, Rob-h
Try the following
(1)  bad RAM sticks. Check each stick 1 at a time, in each slot and then clear the cmos.

(2) Read your motherboard manual

(3) replace the battery on the motherboard? This is the usual cause for "checksum" errors

(4) Download the iso file for Memtest and burn it onto a CD/floppy. Boot from it and test the RAM. ;D
regards

Rob-H

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:12:45 pm »
Thanks very much for the suggestions.  I'll wait a bit before trying the ones that involve opening the case as it is still under warrenty and I've also asked the question of the supplier so I'd beter wait until they respond but I'll try the memtest one.  Thanks again.

Rob-H

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »
Well the problem is now resolved.  I spoke to my supplier and they asked me to upgrade to the latest version of the BIOS which seems to have stopped the error message appearing.  What I can't understand is why the message should have suddenly started!