JC666

GA-MA790XT-UD4P Motherboard network issues
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:41:16 am »
Hi,

I currently have a custom built computer with the following specs:

GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard
AMD X4 905e Processor
4GB Ram
Running Windows Home Server (Which is based on Windows 2003)

I'm having problems with the network adapter built into the motherboard.  The computer has been running for about 3 months now, but every now and again when I switch on it doesn't connect to the network.  Windows reports that "A network cable is unplugged" and shows a red cross over the network icon in the system tray.  This has probably happened 2 or 3 times in the past, but rolling back the driver, re booting then installing the latest driver always seemed to fix it.  However the same thing has happened this morning and my previous "fix" makes no difference.

I've tried 2 different cables and plugged them into different ports on my router to see if it makes a difference but it doesn't.  The Realtek Network Diagnostic Utility cannot find any problems.  I've tried the driver from the Gigabyte website and the one from the Realtek website with no difference.  I'm using the Windows XP version of the driver (as WinXp is the same codebase as Win2003).

Can anyone suggest anything else to try?  Reading around the forum and the Internet it sounds like the network adapter has failed  >:(

Re: GA-MA790XT-UD4P Motherboard network issues
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:50:25 am »
I have had this problem with my 790x UD4P.
I found that if I untick the box in Local area connection properties/general tab
Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
Then my PC connects to the router and in turn gets a connection to the internet.
I also uninstalled and reinstalled the default Realtek NIC driver from the supplied installation disk.

JC666

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:20:19 am »
Hi musicman53,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unticking the boxes as you suggested made no difference, but uninstalling the network adaptor through Device Manager then re installing the drivers from the CD supplied with the motherboard worked.  This is probably the same affect I was getting before when rolling back to old drivers before. 

I don't understand why the drivers work most of the time then suddenly fail though.  The computer is shutdown every night and restarted on a morning, so it's not like it only happens when I reboot or anything.  Nothing has changed (that I can think of) between shutting down yesterday and switching on this morning so I don't understand why the drivers should suddenly fail and a re install be required.

Is anyone else having similar issues?

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:27:58 am »
With me it seemed to be after installing XP then motherboard drivers and then Service pack 3, somehow service pack 3 messed up some divers or settings.
Reinstalling NIC drivers reset the settings back to what they were to srat with.
I also notcied that installing SP3(for windows xp)messed up the settings for the hard drives.
Reinstalling(after uninstalling from device manager)windows default hard drive drivers(Gigabyte to not have those)solved that as well.

JC666

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 11:50:08 am »
I've not installed / uninstalled anything for ages on it, but I did have a clear out of some old backup database files yesterday which I guess could have caused it.  If this is the problem then I guess it's possibly more of an issue with Windows than the drivers???

Pottypete

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 02:52:13 pm »
Hi,
Yes SP3 for me played havoc to my O/S xp home,
Never did find the reason for it,
Cheers