Official GIGABYTE Forum

Installed GIGABYTE On/Off Charge, now my computer will not shut off!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Installed GIGABYTE On/Off Charge, now my computer will not shut off!
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 10:41:32 am »
Hi Soar, Thanks I will look foward to the Kaspersky key when you can get one.

I think it might be worth checking this review from Anadtech as they are  a very reliable reviewer. Of particular interest is the last comment by someone who had problems with them and I think it would be worth further investigatiion if you are thinking of buying in quantity.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2558
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 11:45:19 am »
Hi Soar, Thanks I will look foward to the Kaspersky key when you can get one.

I think it might be worth checking this review from Anadtech as they are  a very reliable reviewer. Of particular interest is the last comment by someone who had problems with them and I think it would be worth further investigatiion if you are thinking of buying in quantity.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2558

DM,

That was a shocking revelation!  So shocking it scared me into NOT purchasing large quantities of this unit!

Wow!  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I would have been in trouble attempting to sell those units if they make that high squealing noise as the anandtech/utube video revealed.

No wonder they are letting these units go at such a low price.

Although I did purchase one of these units, I'm not touching them in large quantities!

Thanks,

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 11:53:50 am »
Goes to show the value of research and asking others for their input.

Sometimes we can wander down the purchasing path with blinkers on, especially if we have our mind set on a particular item or we believe that we are getting a good deal. As with all bargains there is often a catch that we are not aware of and the old caveat "Buyer beware" springs to mind.

ps thanks for the offer of AV Soar but I already have mine in place, I use NOD32 and my licence runs until well into next year.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:55:27 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »
Goes to show the value of research and asking others for their input.

Sometimes we can wander down the purchasing path with blinkers on, especially if we have our mind set on a particular item or we believe that we are getting a good deal. As with all bargains there is often a catch that we are not aware of and the old caveat "Buyer beware" springs to mind.

ps thanks for the offer of AV Soar but I already have mine in place, I use NOD32 and my licence runs until well into next year.  ;)

Thanks Absic and lesson learned before the purchase rather than after the purchase of large quantities.

May I ask why you like the NOD32?

Thanks,

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 01:04:55 pm »
Hi Soar,

being honest I don't have a preference with my AV. I have been using NOD32 for several years now and have never had a problem with viruses or any other attacks. It also has a small install footprint which was one of the reasons I started using it in the first place. I also got a good deal on a multi-user licence a couple of years ago and as I am responsible for many builds I have found it prudent to stick with it, for the time being.

However, I have been running Microsoft Security Essentials on a recent laptop purchase and have been very impressed with it. For one thing it is free (if you have a legitimate copy of Windows) and so far, after 3 months of testing, I have not had a problem with being hit. In the future I may switch to this AV as it is also quick to initialise and doesn't take up a lot of system resources.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 03:22:13 am »
Hi Soar,

being honest I don't have a preference with my AV. I have been using NOD32 for several years now and have never had a problem with viruses or any other attacks. It also has a small install footprint which was one of the reasons I started using it in the first place. I also got a good deal on a multi-user licence a couple of years ago and as I am responsible for many builds I have found it prudent to stick with it, for the time being.

However, I have been running Microsoft Security Essentials on a recent laptop purchase and have been very impressed with it. For one thing it is free (if you have a legitimate copy of Windows) and so far, after 3 months of testing, I have not had a problem with being hit. In the future I may switch to this AV as it is also quick to initialise and doesn't take up a lot of system resources.

Absic,

Thanks for the info.  Well, you are a truly blessed computer techie!  I have had problems with viruses, hacks, trojan horses, malware, you name it since the 1990's!

I grew up in Silicon Vally.  My mom and dad's home is within walking distance to Apple's headquarters.  In the beginning I was deceived into thinking Norton was the virus Savior of the world...what a huge blunder on my part!  I can still remember when Norton wrote an anti-virus program that was darn near impossible to remove from your computer once it was installed!   The bloatware factor was off the charts, and forget about any real true protection.  The worst part of all is I did some work for them in the 1990's and thought they were pretty good guys [sound proofing some of their buildings and rooms, etc.].  After it was all over I wanted to take their install disc and send it to Pluto forever and ever!

They really messed a lot of things up but in the past 3 years have done a lot in rewriting their programs and greatly reducing the bloat ware factor...still, you could not pay me to ever use they software again.  In the antivirus industry you cannot afford to attempt to ride on past successes...you must remain on the cutting edge or you are history!

Kaspersky, BitDefender, Webroot and NOD32 seem to top the charts here for the last couple of years...yet I have had problems with both Kaspersky and BitDefender both!  I often receive free licenses for Kaspersky, BitDefender and Webroot but now i refuse to use them.

I switched everything over to Microsoft's SE at the beginning of the year and now no problems at all and best of all, it is 100% free!

[Good job Bill]!

Hey, maybe we can devote a segment of this forum to antivirus chat and such.  It is a big deal now-a-days and perhaps it can help people who are looking for some honest answers.

Anyway, I did not mean to go off on an anti- antivirus bunny path.

So sorry!

Soar

AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold