Official GIGABYTE Forum

AMD RaidXpert not showing drives ?

g00n

AMD RaidXpert not showing drives ?
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:52:30 pm »
I received a prebuilt PC from CyberPowerPC. It has a SATA3 RAID 1 array setup. The chipset drivers installed on the machine when it shipped were what was contained on the motherboard CD included in the box. RaidXpert properly displayed the array when it came. One of the first things I did was download updated drivers from Gigabytes page for my motherboard (GA-870a-UD3 Rev. 2.1). These included an AMD chipset package which had sata drivers etc., an updatd Gigabyte SATA driver, audio driver, NIC driver, USB 3.0 driver. I double checked to be certain I am downloading the proper drivers for the proper model, os, etc.  After installing these, I noticed that RaidXpert would load without error, but no longer displayed any drives of the array or anything. All I can access/see is the login/management options. There is nothing on the left drop down menu where the drive info would be.  I installed the latest RaidXpert in hopes of fixing this and nothing worked, I tinkered with various driver packages to no avail.

I thought perhaps its some kind of driver conflict/issue so I just quickly formatted the partition, reinstalled win7-64bit clean and reinstalled the drivers from scratch. This time, I started with the new drivers on Gigabyte's page. I also installed the latest RaidXpert. It still doesnt show any drives? Whats the deal here? When I go to device manager and look at storage controllers all I see is Gigabytes controller listed twice. There is no AMD controller in device manager that I see. Any thoughts? I guess the next option is to reinstall the drivers shipped on the mobo CD and see if those work? If so, then there is an issue with the ones on Gigabytes page.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:58:06 pm by g00n »

g00n

Re: AMD RaidXpert not showing drives ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:04:19 pm »
RESOLVED

Just to put this thread to rest, I believe a BIOS issue caused the RAID setting to reset to default (IDE, i.e. no RAID) when I installed the OS for testing. Once I formatted the drives again, setup the BIOS settings correctly, installed OS using latest Gigabyte/AMD RAID drivers, it all worked fine. Drive Xpert displays the drives properly and shows them working functionally. If you have this issue, I suggest checking to make sure you're even using the proper storage controller (AMD's not Gigabytes), and reinstalling OS from scratch after checking all BIOS settings. It wouldnt hurt to use the updated preinstall drivers on Gigabytes site for the install.  

In sum, this can be chalked up to a noob mistake, not the mobo. However, this mobo does seem to be a bit picky about ram. Especially if you're trying to run 1600mhz or higher voltages.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:05:58 pm by g00n »