Official GIGABYTE Forum

HELP! First ever build - non-booting 880GM-UD2H

jolphil

Re: HELP! First ever build - non-booting 880GM-UD2H
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 02:19:22 pm »
I do not mean to butt in, but after removing the external graphics card ,would it not be a
good Idea to clear the CMOS again?
goodluck,
jolphil

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 02:32:48 pm »
OK remove the RAM and just leave the CPU mounted.
When you try and BOOT what POST beeps do you get this time?
Are they the same as you had before?
If not what are they now?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 02:39:13 pm »
what beep(s) did you get when you tried booting without the RAM installed?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

oogzy

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 02:46:34 pm »
Sorry - hang on, i have been switching windows and didn't relise this thread had ran onto another page.
Will remove the ram as you advise and test - apologies.

for what it's worth, i have uploaded a short vid to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAZf2Nsvt28
Which was the point i removed the graphics card. just in case you can make sense of the bleeps...

oogzy

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 02:54:49 pm »
OK
With ram installed (1 stick) the bleeps are as per video (3 long, 1 slightly shorter).
With all ram removed we get 4 long bleeps with an added 5th 'blip' like a very short bleep

OH - and i cleared the cmos again.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 02:56:04 pm by oogzy »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 03:03:42 pm »
Hey nice video and it would seem that you are getting continuous long beeps which would indicate a graphics error.

As you are currently trying to BOOT using the on-board graphics chip this would seem to point to a problem with the motherboard.

I know this is frustrating but can you go through the process of clearing CMOS one more time. This time unplug the power lead from the wall socket, remove the power leads from the motherboard and leave the motherboard battery out for at least 30 mins. Then short the CMOS pins before putting the battery back in and connecting the power leads. Using just one stick of RAM and the CPU attached, as in your video, try and BOOT again.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »
It might be a good idea to try flashing over the Backup BIOS to the Main BIOS in case it is a problem with it being corrupt.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

oogzy

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 03:06:35 pm »
Are you just trying to get rid of me for half an hour? lol lol
Just kidding...
OK nothing ventured nothing gained. Will try the above and post back.

Thanks fella

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 03:09:46 pm »
No, I'm not kidding and I know it seems a long time but sometimes it can take a while for the capacitors and other electrical components to be properly discharged.

I want to make sure we clear CMOS properly then, if we are still having problems I will take you through the suggestion made by Dark Mantis to try and kick in the Back-Up BIOS in case, as he has said, your main BIOS has been corrupted.

oogzy

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 03:56:48 pm »
All carried out as per instructions, and bleeps remain.
Have tried with and without ram inserted with the same results as previous.

Where do i go from here?
Am supposed to be visiting relatives but will follow any further remedial instructions when i return.

Thanks for all your efforts so far.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 04:08:13 pm by oogzy »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 04:16:00 pm »
I would suggest going down to the pub and getting drunk but..... that won't solve the problem.

I have to say that it is looking more likely that your motherboard is faulty and a final thing to try would be to see if we can get the Back-Up BIOS to kick in in case the main BIOS has become corrupted. If this doesn't work then I'm afraid I am out of ideas, other than RMA'ing the motherboard.

You can kick in the backup BIOS by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button on and at the same time, turn on the power supply at the wall socket.
A few seconds later the board will start, immediately shut off the power supply at the wall socket.
Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS should then kick in.

Hopefully you can understand this procedure OK and it should work. If not, don't panic there is one more thing we can try to get the back-up BIOS to kick in, if needed.

oogzy

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 10:46:36 am »
Thanks for all your help -
Did try booting into the backup bios with no joy...
My patience has ran out now and the mb is now boxed back up and getting exchanged.
Will let y'all know how it goes wi the new one  :)

Have a great new year!
Now i can get drunk  ;D