Official GIGABYTE Forum

Windows 7 Sleep mode

Windows 7 Sleep mode
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:41:48 am »
Hi folks,

I own a MA78GM-US2H mobo and I just upgraded the cpu from a AMD 7850 Black Edition to a Phenom 9850 Black edition. Everything went well except at first windows 7 would only read 2 cores, so I installed a program called EasyBCD and changed the settings to quad core, then deleted BCD.

The problem is since then I can get the computer to sleep but when I go to restart, the monitor won't start at all. I've tried every setting known to man with the Bios and the power profile and I still have the problem.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if it's windows or the MOBO's fault. Also has anyone every figures out how to fix it. Like I said I've tried every possible thing that's ever been posted or tested and I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance

Freakinoldguy

Re: Windows 7 Sleep mode
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 01:57:17 am »
I have never used EasyBCD after changing CPU's. I once changed out a E6300 for a Q6600. After the change I just deleted the CPU's in device manager and rebooted. Since the CPU's were similar it worked great. It might be worth a try? Try it at your own risk though. Other thoughts. Newer video drivers are multi-threaded. Its possible the driver is freaking out. Try a reinstall of the drivers?

Bill
Main Box*i7 930@3.5 Ghz*CM V6 GT*GA X58A-UD3R v2 FB bios*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*OCZ Vertex 3 MI 120 gig*WD  Blue 500 gig*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*Teac Floppy*Corsair AX750*Rosewill R6AR6-BK case*Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:49:26 am »
Thanks for the advice,
 but I've put in new drivers for everything and still nada nothing. It's like the monitor is turned off but the funny thing is that when I changed the memory from S3 to S1 the computer won't shut down but the monitor sleep cycle works fine. Go figure?

I guess I'll do a complete format and reinstall later and see if I can get it going that way.

If you type in windows sleep mode problems you'll see it's actually one of the myriad of windows 7 problems that appear to  have no solutions, just a million suggestions. Maybe Service Pack 2 or 3 or 4 will fix it.   ::)

F.O.G.

blackie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:53:41 am »
I don't know if this will help or not - but:

I too have changed from a processor with a few cores to one with more cores (quad to a hex CPU). The thing to watch out for is if you have previously set the computer to boot with say 4 cores into a 6 cope system. See the attachment where in Win 7 you can tell Win 7 how many cores to use. I originally had it set to boot with 4 cores and by golly thats exactly what it did (even though I now had 6 cores). It is best to leave this option unchecked and let Win 7 use what it finds after booting (it does not speed the bootup much at all and it is easy to forget what you have done).

While I do not have the same system as you - mine does handle S3 sleep properly out of the box (unlike my last MSI system which was S1 out of the box and I had to tweek things to get it to work).

GA-890GPA-UD3H Rev 2.1 (BIOS FF)
AMD X6 1090T o/c to 4.0 GHz - W Hyper 212 EVO cooler
Win 7 HP 64-bit SP1
(2) 4GB G.Skill PC12800 @ 1333 MHz
Corsair TX850 PS & 850D Case
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD & Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB SATA HDs
ASUS GTX 560 TI (factory O/C'ed), Two 22" Monitors
LITE-ON iHAS42

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 04:57:34 am »
Thanks but I've already been there. LOL

Like I said it's frustrating and I think the only thing that'll get it back to normal is a format and reinstall of windows 7, which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do.