Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H55M-UD2H: No sound from Optical output

GA-H55M-UD2H: No sound from Optical output
« on: December 28, 2010, 02:37:40 pm »
Specs - HTPC build
Windows 7 32bit
Bios F11 - All updated drivers (more on this later)
i3 530
OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 30GB SATA SSD- IDE mode/boot drive
WD WD1001FALS 1TB - storage
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) (PC3 10600) CT2KIT25664BA1339

Current peripheral connections
HDMI (mobo) -> SONY STR-K7100 -> Panasonic 50PX77U - video has no problem
Optical (SPDIF) out -> SONY STR-K7100

When I purchased and built this system I had zero problems with any part or piece. Problems started when I decided to update all drivers, now I cannot get sound from the optical port. Unfortunately I do not remember the original driver revisions for Realtek or Intel but the bios went from F4 to F11.

I have tried all sorts of drivers... from Gigabyte... from Realtek... from Intel with the same results, the only operational audio device is "Intel display audio" detecting only my television. I have since left every driver/bios/utility at the most recent release from Gigabyte while I search for clues.

One very odd thing is that my receiver recognizes the optical input is present, if disconnected it goes into a locked state.

Some other information:
-From Winamp - I get an error "Bad directsound driver"
-From CP->Sound->Playback devices->test - I get "failed to play sound"
-From dxdiag - I get "Problem getting extra sound info"
-With the TV off - I get a "X" through my volume control
-With the TV on - I have volume control of the TV (Cannot output sound to TV)and if I try to select the volume control for the optical output it says "No audio device installed"
- From CP->Sound->Playback devices I have a volume level meter only next to "Intel Display Audio - Panasonic TV" and no level meter next to any  other device. I found this to be most odd  because in the manual the picture clearly shows level meters next to every device.

Any suggestions?

Re: GA-H55M-UD2H: No sound from Optical output
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 04:35:09 pm »
Somehow, while trying to fix another error I was able to get sound from the optical output.

Here are the steps I was taking, unfortunately I don't know exactly when I got the sound back.

1. Started by looking through Windows Events... found one that wanted me to re-install Media Center and Media Player
2. Found the only way to do this was to "Turn windows features on or off" from the programs and features menu.
3. Once I "turned off" those two items I restarted and found that the "Turn windows features on or off" to be blank.
4. Did a google search and found an article on raymond dot cc that had some instructions on how to restore the blank screen.
5. I got all the way through the process of deleting some errors in my registry when I found that my volume control for the optical device was back. Confirmed the playback and had sound.

I still haven't fixed the blank features screen, but I do have sound. I wonder if this was indeed associated with windows media center/player?

Maybe this post will assist someone in the future.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-H55M-UD2H: No sound from Optical output
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:53:45 pm »
Yes and thanks for the update. As you say often it will help someone in the future with a similar problem. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB