GA-MA770T-UD3 (Ver 1.4) - Lan doesn't work
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:37:43 am »
I have just built a new PC with the following spec:

GA-MA770T-UD3 (Ver 1.4) - upgraded to Bios F8
Phenom 955 Quad Core 3.2ghz
4GB Kingston Hyper X 1600 Hza Ram
Saphire HD 5450 1GB Card
Actic Cooler CPU Fan

The system works fine except that the LAN, and so the internet, on the motherboard appears to be disabled. Even though it is enabled in the BIOS.

The only way I can get the LAN to work is to re-install the LAN driver, use the modify option, and the LAN works. Until I switch the machine off.

When I switch it on again the problem starts again.

HELP - this is doing me head in.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:43:58 am by geoffb »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA770T-UD3 (Ver 1.4) - Lan doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 10:22:29 am »
Hi,

I guess the first thing to try and establish is whether the fault is hardware or software based.

I don't have your motherboard but in BIOS do you have a feature called "Green LAN"? If you have make sure this is disabled
Then run the Smart LAN in BIOS to check that the LAN is connected OK. This will check if there is a fault with your LAN cable but will also show if the LAN Connector is working before you load the OS.

Another thing you can try is disabling the C1E function as this has been known to cause problems. I know the F8 BIOS Update says that it has addressed this issue but.....!
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

geoffb

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:38:13 pm »
Thanks for the info.

The motherboard doesn't have the Green Lan option but I have disabled the C1E function and run the Smart Lan check.

This gave the following message

"Start detection at Port
Link detected -> 10Mbps
Cable length less than 10m..."

Sadly, all this has made no difference.

Any ideas on what next?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:46:17 pm »
Hi,

well it does show that it is probably not due to the hardware as the cable test has shown there is a connection and the LAN port is able to detect it!

You don't say which Operating System you are using but do you have the latest drivers for the Realtek LAN?
New drivers were released for most Windows  OS just before Christmas. You can download the latest drivers from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3533&dl=1#dl
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

geoffb

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:21:24 pm »
Hi,

The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and the LAN drivers are the latest ones as I downloaded them from the Gigayte website a couple of days ago.

HELP

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 03:09:30 pm »
Does the Realtek LAN show up OK in Device Manager?
Do you have a Yellow Question Mark or red Exclamation point showing?
Check under: Control Panel/Hardware & Sound/Device Manager Network Adapter

If you do not have any problems here, Right click on the Realtek Device, open the Properties Dialogue then check under Power Management. Untick the box that says: "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
Does that help?

geoffb

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 06:52:31 pm »
OK.

I have checked and the Lan shows up OK in Device Manger and I have unchecked the "Allow computer .... etc"

Finally the Lan icon on the taskbar shows a Yellow question mark.

I am really dissapointed in this motherboard. I intentially went for Gigabyte MB because of their reputation. I am staing to wonder why I bothered.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 07:24:26 pm »
I understand your frustration but it seems, from what you are saying that the problem is software not hardware based.

When faced with these kind of problems there are a few steps that I would try.

The first thing would be to re-flash BIOS using the QFlash Utility just to make sure that there hasn't been a problem when you previously updated it. This can happen if you used the @BIOS Utility and re=flashing won't do any harm. If you are not sure how to flash BIOS using the QFlash utility check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html also disable the Keep DMI Data option prior to updating the BIOS.
Remember to load Optimised Defaults after you have flashed the BIOS.

If that doesn't solve the problem then I would re-install the Operating System and the motherboard drivers. Don't use the drivers from the install disk that came with the motherboard but use the ones that you can download from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3533&dl=1#driver

geoffb

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 09:50:51 am »
Can I thank everyone for their advance and help.

But after all the potentail solutions offered and executed nothing has worked.

So this morning I have installed a LAN card, disabled the onboard Lan, and the problem has gone away.

It is not the solution I wanted and I am angry that a company like Gigabyte can produce a component which simply doesn't provide the functions I have paid for.

Also, I have 1600hz memory but the motherboard only sets it at 1333. I will leave that for another day.

For now thank you once again and a Happy New Year.

Geoff

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:36:48 am »
Hi,

sorry the problem with the LAN connector couldn't be easily resolved. If you believe there is an issue with the motherboard then you should send it back to your retailer for a replacement.

The reason your RAM is running at 1333 MHz is due to the fact that the CPU is only rated to handle 1333MHz RAM. Anything above that is regarded as Overclocking and it has to be manually set. This is not a problem with Gigabyte and if you haven't already done so then you might find this item worth reading: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html

jolphil

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 01:35:24 pm »
Strange indeed.. ???
I wonder if it could be something as simple as the backplate shorting out a LAN pin..
Otherwise it's like absic said you can send the MB back to Gigabyte..
Anyway,
Goodluck
jolphil

geoffb

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »
A FURTHER UPDATE >:( >:(

I thought I had indirectly sorted out the problem but I spoke too soon.

When I switched off the machine and booted it up the next day the same problem occured. No internet even with the sepearte Lan card.

The only way I can get internet is to disable the card in the Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections/Change Adaptor Settings/ Local Area Connection window and then re-enable it.

Whilst I could start the process of returning the MB to the supplier it means I would be without my main PC, which I use for business purposes, for an extended period of time. And that can't happen.

So I am completely confused.

HELP!!!!

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 05:39:55 pm »
Ouch!

Did you try a clean install of the operating system as I suggeted? If not I think that would be my first step after removing the Add-on LAN Card.

How are you connecting to the internet?

geoffb

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 08:49:56 pm »
Hi,

I have removed the Lan card, re-flashed the Bios with the F8 version, as suggested by Gigabyte Support, used the optimised settings (but disabled the floppy drive) and lo and behold it now works!!!!

I have switch it on and off about 10 times now and all is well - fingers crossed.

But what I can't figure out is that I tried all the things above before, some more than once, and it didn't solve the problem then but it has now.

Hopefully this is the last post on this issue.

Thanks for your help to those who replied.