Official GIGABYTE Forum

Lockups after overclocking my GA-X48-DS5 w/ q9650

Lockups after overclocking my GA-X48-DS5 w/ q9650
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:55:35 pm »
Ok.  Ive switched out my graphics card to a different one, but windows still locks up.  Ive switched out my memory and it still locks up.  I tried both types of ram that I have...800 and 1200, either one and my system still locks up.  Ive got my cpu overclocked to 3.6.  It passes the intel burn test just fine.  The cpu temp is 39c idle with the overclock.  The northbridge is idle at 42c.  Even if I run the cpu at stock speed(3.0 ghz), the temps are the same on th NB.  If I take off the cover of my rig, it does NOT lockup......so what is heating up??????..all of my temps are within tolerable ranges.  Are there any modules on the mobo that arent monitored that could be heating up and I dont know it???  Any ideas????
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:08:43 am by runn3R »

Pottypete

Re: Lockups after overclocking my GA-X48-DS5 w/ q9650
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »
Hi gotkevlar,
Seems like you have a temp problem with the case closed,
check your fans all working and not clogged up with gunge,
Install additional fans to case,
Does it lock up when you set it back to default?
If not you got an airflow problem  ;D
Lets know how you get on ;D

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 07:34:48 pm »
Yeah.  It locks up a default settings also.  I have 4 fans on the case.  I believe it has to be a temp problem but with which component...

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:00:59 pm »
39c idle is kinda high. What temp is is @ 100% load?

I suggest you download and run;
- CPUZ
- Coretemp
- Prime 95
- Super PI

This way you can check the overlock is right, what temps are occuring and stress the system with Prime. Run Super PI to check the OC isn't causing calculation errors/memory erriors (which you won't always see in burn test) and run Prime 95 overnight (at least 8hrs) for proving stability.

Should a core fail it'll report it. Or if it locks up, then it's a stability issue (might need a wee bit more voltage somewhere)

~Bex

Pottypete

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 10:25:46 am »
Hi, Gotkevlar
quote, (If I take off the cover of my rig, it does NOT lockup)
Try as Elemental_dragons post,
You may have 4 case fans on your case, but how are they configuired?, for best results,  front should suck into the case and the rears blow out of the case,
You may have a dead spot in the airflow that is allowing temp to rise in that one component causing your problem of lockups,
If it is stable with the side panel removed But, locks up with it on, you have an airfow/cooling problem ::)
Regards
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:28:05 am by Pottypete »

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 03:44:07 pm »
It was software related.  One of the updates from windows 7 RC threw me a curve ball.  I booted to vista live dvd and it didnt freeze all night.  Im loading vista x64 tonight.  Thanks for your help guys.