Official GIGABYTE Forum

gigabyte x58a-ud5 ver 2.0 shuts off before Post

shimon

gigabyte x58a-ud5 ver 2.0 shuts off before Post
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:16:14 pm »
Hello, I am unsure if this is a motherboard problem.  I was installing a usb header.  When I try to power it up, there is a flash of power (all indicator lights on the motherboard turn on), then turns off.  I took out the bios battery, waited for an hour then put the battery back in.  The lights all come back up for a few seconds, then I think before it starts to post it shuts off.  Subsequent presses will make the lights flash, but everything goes out again.

I removed everything including the cpu now, and the only things connected to the motherboard is the two power cables.  I wanted to see if the motherboard will at least stay on and give me a error message, but it will do the same thing.  Removing the battery, waiting for an hour then putting the battery back in and powering it on will have all the motherboard indicator lights come back on for a few seconds before shutting off.  Again subsequent presses will make the lights flash, but everything goes out again.

I am just wondering if the motherboard should stay on and give an error even though there is no cpu.  Just trying to figure out if it's the cpu or the motherboard, I wish I had an extra cpu or motherboard, but that's quite a chunk of money just to troubleshoot.  Any help is appreciated!

i7 950
Corsair 850tx
patriot sector 7 1600
nvidia gtx 295
gigabyte x58a-ud5

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: gigabyte x58a-ud5 ver 2.0 shuts off before Post
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:20:03 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

The lights on the motherboard should all light up to start with and then go out as the POST progresses.

The motherboard won't post or anything without the CPU installed. However while you have it out I would suggest checking the CPU socket for bent pins.

Very carefully remove the heatsink and fan. Probably a slight twisting motion is best to release the two as the thermal paste can act like a glue.

Once off remove the CPU taking extreme care both physically and electrically(static) and place somewhere safe.

Make sure that the lighting is very good and even.

Now scrutinise the socket for any pins that are out of alignment, even slightly.
If in any doubt whatsoever take a couple of macro (close up) photos of the socket and post them on here for us to check.

Also look at the bottom of the CPU at the lands (little copper circles) and make sure that there is a mark in each somewhere near the centre.
If there are any missing marks or any of the pins are obviously bent then that is your problem.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:21:14 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

shimon

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:01:46 pm »
I'm sorry, I'm not too good at taking pictures, I hope that this will help.  I tried to take a picture of the cpu, but the flash makes it too bright.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad100/RyokoKyutto/forum%20giga-byte%20co%20uk/cpusocket.jpg

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad100/RyokoKyutto/forum%20giga-byte%20co%20uk/socket2.jpg

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad100/RyokoKyutto/forum%20giga-byte%20co%20uk/socket3.jpg

Edit:

Here is the cpu itself,

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad100/RyokoKyutto/forum%20giga-byte%20co%20uk/cpucopperthings.jpg

Also, should the motherboard shut off by itself, whether or not the cpu was in there?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:20:05 pm by shimon »

shimon

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 05:11:31 am »
Reinstalled the motherboard with the cpu and the heatsink and one stick of ram - I don't think you need anything else to at least get an error code off the motherboard?

I'm sure it's the motherboard, but if the motherboard isn't supposed to turn off when it posts when a cpu is in there, then it should definitely be the motherboard?

Now if the motherboard does supposed to turn off when it first posts and doesn't sense a cpu, then it might be the cpu?

I didn't see anything like bent pins or no contact with the cpu... but since not touching the cpu and installing the usb headers on there - I don't think any of the pins move when installing a usb header?

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 06:52:36 am »
CPU Socket looks ok to me.

Did the board work before at all?   Just checking, not sure since you mention installing a USB Device started all this.

The board has to have a CPU installed to start, and it must have at least one stick of memory in a white slot (3 sticks must go in all 3 white slots)

The 24 pin and 8 pin ATX/EPS power cable must also be connect to the board.

Be 100% Sure you are connecting the USB cable to USB Port, not Firewire port.

Does it start with no hard drives, and no USB cables connected?

Have you tested it outside of the case and off the motherboard tray on a wooden table or cardboard box yet, if not please do to ensure you do not have a short somewhere.  Do this test with only CPU and heatsink, one stick of memory, and your graphics card - NOTHING else connected.

shimon

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:14:18 am »
Ah, yes.  The board was working fine before this.  I installed it into the USB2 and USB3 headers then turned it on.  It turned on, but then shut itself off before it got to post.  I removed the usb header, and then pushing the power button, it would have that all the lights blink on then off.  

Only if I take the button battery out and totally remove power (power switch from powersupply), then switch the power back on  it will light up for around 5 seconds and then shut off.  Subsequent presses will have it blink on then off until I do the previous step.

The firewire port I think has that brown safety cap. I only use the ones labeled usb2 and usb3.  

I have tried it, but still got the same results unfortunately.

The picture does not show - I have it on top of a cardboard box, it was the cardboard box that had the motherboard inside.  (Edit:  I also had the power connected to the video card when I tested it as well.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad100/RyokoKyutto/forum%20giga-byte%20co%20uk/setup.jpg
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:18:58 am by shimon »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 07:26:59 am »
Ahh sorry to hear it worked before but not now.

Maybe it got fried with bad USB wiring?   Can you test that USB wiring on another board, if you are up to it that is?

You may want to try clearing the CMOS for an extended period, that may help!    Unplug the PSU from the wall, or remove all power cables from the board, and then remove the motherboard battery.   Then press and hold the case or board power button for one minute to drain all power on the board.

Let it sit like this overnight, and then put it all back together the next day and see if it will start then or not.

shimon

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 08:00:23 am »
Ah, unfortunately I'm not rich enough to take the risk.   :-\  

I went ahead and unplugged the power from the wall, leaving everything connected to the motherboard.  I pressed the power button on the motherboard for over a minute and left the cmos battery out.  Hopefully it'll work.  I just wish that there was a way to test to see if it's the motherboard that doesn't work, or the cpu.  I'll test it out when I wake up tomarrow.

If the motherboard stayed on and gave me an error code (I think maybe it might be error code 18 since it has to do with the cpu)? then I would've suspected the cpu.

18 error says "Detect CPU information including brand, SMI type and CPU level".  Not too sure but was hoping for any error code.  Or at least having the motherboard stay on telling me any error..

This is the usb header that I purchased from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-ULT40299-4-PORT-USB-Bracket/dp/B001SH2BDI/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it!  I just wish that maybe I didn't buy a USB bracket and instead got a usb hub now.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:01:32 am by shimon »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:13 am »
Hopefully it will work in the morning!

No error beep from speaker then either I take it?

I do see in the review comments that they have the pinouts incorrect on the header, so that may be what caused the problem and possibly fried the board?

Even if your mobo supports USB 2.0, the pinouts may not be correct. The plug on this has pin 9 as key (no pin) and pin 10 is vacant

Not sure what would happen if you use that in a normal situation, but it doesn't sound good to me because it may caused users to connect it incorrectly because it may make users think the 5V connection pin 1 is supposed to be pin 9.

So that may be what happened here?

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:54 pm »
No that doesn't sound too healthy to me. It could well be what has caused the problem in the first place. I am suprised that they are still selling them like that if that is correct. :-\
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

shimon

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 07:18:11 pm »
Ah, I tried to turn it on this morning, but it seems to not have worked, still exhibiting the same problems unfortunately.

That's the only thing that I had different in the computer, it was working before that.  As the for the USB bracket, I am unsure how it is wired - the top and bottom wires have red, white, green and black.  What I'm assuming to be pin 9 is no hole in there, and pin 10 there is no wire going to it.

I'm just still worrying if it might be a cpu problem instead of a motherboard problem - would a normally working motherboard exhibit this sort of problem (automatically shutting down) if it can't detect a cpu if the cpu might be the one that's fried from the usb headers, or is that more unlikely?

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 08:23:57 pm »
I woiuld have thought it less likely to have damaged the CPU if it was a problem with the USB2.0 connections as they go to the Southbridge. I am taking it that you haven't connected any of them this time?

Have you installed a buzzer to hear if there are any POST beeps?

As to whether this type of symptom would show with a damaged CPU it is hard to say as it depends on what part of it was damaged, I suppose.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

shimon

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 08:53:57 pm »
Yes, I haven't connected any usb ports on the motherboard, ever since I couldn't turn it on.  Should I try to put something in there to see if there is power coming from the internal usb port supplied from the motherboard when I turn it on?

Ah, I don't have a speaker for the speaker header on the motherboard.  That one I'm not too sure what it's called, tried to search for front panel computer speaker, but it gives me something different.

I also sent an RMA - I never done one before and after looking searching for people's warranty service experience with gigabyte, there seems to be some people with bad experiences... hopefully my first experience with gigabyte's warranty service will be good.

Again thank you for all your help with this!  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:55:52 pm by shimon »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:59 pm »
The best thing to get for a speaker is a little piezo electric device that costs a matter of pence from any computer parts shop.

So have you still got the motherboard or has it gone now?

If you still have it connected up try one of the motherboard USB ports on the rear panel with a known good device. If you are testing it out of the Windows environment you will need to enable the Legacy USB Devices (or similar) in the BIOS first.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

shimon

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 09:30:22 pm »
Hm, I'll probably look up a couple of computer parts shops around here.  But for the motherboard to beep, it would need to be on, like would it beep if it shuts itself off?

I still have the motherboard - since it happened during the new years, I haven't gotten any notification of sending it yet.

The only problem I can't even get into the BIOS since it shuts it self off when I think it starts to post (can't get into bios).  It won't even show the startup screen when it counts memory.  Probably when I think about it, the usb doesn't power up until it starts to post?