Official GIGABYTE Forum

VGA Core Clock Control + NUM Lock off ?

sharris

VGA Core Clock Control + NUM Lock off ?
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:12:49 pm »
Hello Gigabyte users,

I spent many hours off and on searching google for a way to turn NUM Lock OFF. It's unbelievable that I found nothing for something so mandatory (common).  How do I turn NUM Lock off so that the keyboard do not have Num Lock on?

Trying for days only lead to other problem.  I started making changes to setting from top to bottom to see what it could do and what I could  find by accident.  Not a great idea but I only have one life time to spare.  Other than num-lock I never had to touch anything else in the BIOS before.

Anyway I set VGA Core Clock Control to *200* because all I am running is FreeBSD command-line shell on (MACHINE-2) and I thought this was more than enough for my old hp 9500 monitor, but nooooooo.  Now nothing shows up on the monitor.  All I get is a blank screen.

I think the original setting was:
Code: [Select]
Internal Graphic Mode [Disable] or [UMA+SidePort] or [UMA]
VGA Core Clock Control         [Auto]
X VGA Core Clock(MHz)   700
I messed it up by changing it to:
Internal Graphic Mode [UMA]          or or or
VGA Core Clock Control         [Manual] for sure
X VGA Core Clock(MHz)    200 for sure

So my second question would be could someone "SAVE ME".

One more thing I hope that can be done.  When I pull the plug than turn the system back on, I need to know for sure that all 8-GB of memory is being properly FLUSH (fill with zeros) before passing control to the boot-loader for the operating system.

What would I need to do to achieve this or is it actually doing the job to its fullest at optimized default.  I could be wrong, but it seems that Load Optimized Defaults is just to help get to the boot process faster and is not doing any house-cleaning before hand. Any info would be appreciated so I can move on to the good parts like "MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T)".  I just spend my life savings on two new AMD-Gigabyte systems, self-build to save some beer money :)

Thanks in advance

Here are the specs if needed..
MACHINE (1):
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H  AMD 880G/SB850;  Video DDR3 1866 +  SATA 6GB       x16PCIe, 1394a, HD Dolby
Patriot Viper II Sector 5 Series 306:2  8GB 2X4GB DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 8-8-8-24 1.65V Dual
Phenom II X4 965 Black Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core
[b]MACHINE (2):[/b]

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H  AMD 880G/SB850;  Video DDR3 1866 +  SATA 6GB       x16PCIe, 1394a, HD Dolby
Patriot Viper II Sector 5 Series 4GB (2x2GB) Dual DDR3, PC3-10666  1333MHz
Phenom II X4 955 Black Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core

Christoph

Re: VGA Core Clock Control + NUM Lock off ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:23:50 am »
you have to clear the bios

there's a 3 pin jumper connector on the motherboard where it says CMOS or CLMOS

you have to do this with the computer turn off completely

everything will be back to default like when you did  set up the computer for the first time, so you gonna have to enter come info, like date, disk priority, RAM timings and things like that

for turning the NUM LOCK off there's a button on the key board, exactly on the numeric key pad right above the number 7

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:30:05 pm »
I take it that you are referring to the old option of booting with numlock on or off in the BIOS? I don't think thats has been an option for some while now.

As Christoph said the easiest way is to just hit the key.

As far as the memory question...it is volatile memory so as soon as the power has dissipated there will be nothing in the memory blocks at all.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:32:50 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

sharris

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:16:46 am »
for turning the NUM LOCK off there's a button on the key board, exactly on the numeric key pad right above the number 7

heeheeheehee That's no fun.. Heehee I guest it's the sign of the times.  According to the links on Google, I'm the only one on earth who was concern about turning off the NUM-LOCK. I never used it before so that why I use to alway turn it off in the BIOS.

I can't wait to start over-clocking and stuff.  I never done nothing like that before.  Btw; I have not read a single negative review about Gigabyte yet.  My search is over, FOREVER!

Thanks a lot guys

sharris

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 02:44:23 am »
Correction:  It been over two months and I just notice I purchased two difference boards:

Board-1  Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

Board-2  Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H

btw: I hope there wasn't any offence taken.  I been reading here all day and notice at a lot of thread where people say something like the same:

I thought everybody did that from the BIOS when not in use.  I was not laughing at you.  I thought I was laughing with you.  I'm just happy and excited despite my issues and the AMD thing.  I think I made a good investment.  Nothing to me is more fun than getting in-step with today technology though the help of this great forum.

Thanks again

Christoph

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 02:57:13 am »
actually never crossed in my mind that you were laughing at me...

and i remember that option in bios, but that was long ago

I'm glad you're back in business   ;)

sharris

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:43:20 am »
and i remember that option in bios, but that was long ago

Christoph, six to ten years was not a long time ago.  Removing the NUM-LOCK options was a un-wise thing to do.  The only possible reason would be Gigabyte was simply stress for byte space for something else. Bottom-line,  You don't remove something that was design for convenience and used since AT.  Now a whole team is force to tell people "wait a few extra minute to hit the key to turn all lights off before leaving home".  Now I have a clue why Fedora is confuse.  But first thing first, please tell Gigabyte to re-install the standard BIOS NUM-LOCK option.  cool ... COOL

You guys ARE #1 .. I been reading all day!

Have a Great night
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:44:03 am by sharris »

Christoph

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:11:44 am »
well, from where I am, even 4 years is a long ago...

I was actually confuse about you not being able to install fedora and not about the NUM LOCK thing, you can do anything, you know your thing  ;)

sharris

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:15:09 am »
well, from where I am, even 4 years is a long ago...
I understand.  So I drop the NUM-LOCK option thing.  At lease someone by now at  Gigabyte headquarters may take action.

I was actually confuse about you not being able to install fedora and not about the NUM LOCK thing, you can do anything, you know your thing

Maybe I could write a script to automatically turn off num-lock but I don't code for BIOS.  Fedora is equally important.  Don't think I don't appreciate all of your help. You did not re-write the BIOS or build the board.  I just hope I got a system and not a Nintendo machine. heehee ... but for some reason I'm still happy with it.

Good luck

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:16:52 am by sharris »

Christoph

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 02:53:46 am »
hahahahahahahaha

"nintendo machine"