Official GIGABYTE Forum

My computer keeps crashing Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - AMD II 940 BE, GSKILL 4gb 1066

Tomy

Hi,

I just recently bought all the parts from NCIX.
After everything installed, the cpu shuts down randomly.

I have tried using Gskill's forum in adjusting the ram speed. In this case, it still shuts down.
This is driving me nuts, I even went and memtest86 the ram and it works fine (that's after a few tries) as during the memtest86, the cpu will randomly shuts down as well.

Please advise how to fix this.

My bios is the latest version from June, 2009

I followed the instructions from this website but it still doesnt fix the problem
http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1129

Here's the specs
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Direct Touch 3 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM2+ 3.0GHZ 8MB Cache
WD 640 gb black
XFX 4890 video card

Gskill DDR2 ram 1066 5-5-5-15 - F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

I have ordered 4 more gb of the same ram, hopipng 8 gb will solve this problem... but i havnt received it yet.

Please help!!

Ive searched and it seems a lot of people have a lot of problems with this mobo

Tomy

i didn't want to start a new thread, but i've searched/read/tried every possible method i could find :(

Pottypete

Hi, Tomy,
Quote from OC forums,
(Hello,

1600 is not easy on these AMD systems. Lower ram speed, higher NB and CPU, with tighter timings is the way to go.

Check Tony's results here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55369

Slower memory and higher NB speed beats high ram speed in performance or is at least equal, plus is a lot easier to do.

Also.. same CPU but with DDR2.. results are the same: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56048

High ram speed is not the key to performance.)

May be worth a look,
Regards

Tomy

actually i've tried running it at a lower speed 533 mhz or 800 mhz, yet it still crashes..

should i rma the ram or rma the mobo.

this is driving me nuts

Tomy

hi please help..

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Hi

Your G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK RAM should definitely work OK with this MB as it has been tested, it's on the QVL:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-ma790x-ud4p.pdf

Installing 8GB in 4 sticks of RAM will not help as only 2 RAM sticks can be supported due to CPU limitation.

It's very strange that your system shuts down during memtest86, this definitely must be some serious failure either in RAM or MB. I can't guess which one of these items is faulty but changing RAM to other ones could help a lot to diagnose the problem. Wait until you get RAM you ordered then try with it.

Have you talked to NCIX about it or not yet?

Good luck m8
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:49:28 pm by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

Tomy

yes i have.

we've diagnosed the problem to be overheating with the ram.

dunno what i can do to solve it.

when i open my case, the crash takes longer to occur.
tonite, i used a big fan (those for home use) and directly blow it at the rig, and guess what, no more crash.

wtf is this? now im thinking, may b my xigamatek heatsink fan is too big that the ram in slot 1 and 2 is overheating and causing it to be unstable.

in this case, should i go back to the stock heatsink and see if it works stable? grr..

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
(...) we've diagnosed the problem to be overheating with the ram. (...)
may b my xigamatek heatsink fan is too big that the ram in slot 1 and 2 is overheating and causing it to be unstable.

in this case, should i go back to the stock heatsink and see if it works stable? grr..

What is system temperature reading from BIOS or EasyTune6 software when you close the chassis after several (around 30) minutes of work?
If the problem happens only when chassis is closed then you need to improve airflow to lower the system temperature. Some example how it could be done you can find here:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/FileList/WebPage/mb_081027_x58/data/tech_081027_x58_hsp2.htm
According to my experience at least 1 additional big (12 cm) and slow rotating (=silent) fan is required at the rear, 2 (1 front, 1 rear) would be perfect, but sometimes the second one is not necessary.

P.S. If you already bought so nice and silent ::) cooler (http://www.xigmatek.com/product/air-hdts1283.php) then replacing it with the standard one may cause higher noise. But of course it's your decision if you really want a silent system or you don't care about it.

Tomy

actually, if i don't turn on my fan cooling directly at the ram, it crashes within 10-30 seconds. so it'll be hard for me to see easytune6 in windows.

if opening the case solve the issue i wouldn't mind.

but it's just the stability concerns i have...  as of right now i've dedicated this home fan just for my cpu haha using 6 gb if ram

i cant use 8 as it wont run without crashing

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
If RAM overheats pls try to lower it's voltage in MB's bios, however it may negatively impact the stability, so lower in smallest steps available.

Tomy

thanks..but i dont think my mobo allows me to lower voltage, and it wont run stable if i do i guess.

is this common with the mobo + this ram?

it's funny, i tried putting just 2 gb ram on slot 1, but it wont even boot.

Pottypete

Hi,
It seems to be a heat related problem with that memory, Set it up to SPD Auto, ;)
What is your o/s To take 8gigs? you must be running a 64 bit,
Although your memory is on the compatible list, a problem is evident, ;)
I would try another make of memory, ;D
MEM test is throwing up errors with your existing memory and high temps is not quite right for it  mate,
I not a techy just logical deduction from a silver surfer, 8)
Regards

Tomy

i was able to run the computer stable last week using a house fan pointing at the computer.

so today i wanted to try running 8 gb instead, once i put the extra 2 gb in, my cpu is unstable again and it wont even go past bios.

after taking it back out, i tried running at 6 gb again, it wont even boot now!

please kindly help!!!

this mobo + ram is frustrating me, I really want to find out why and how to fix this.

I've tried everything, even taking every single part out and putting it back in.
Now it wont even turn onto bios now :(

when i turn it on, all i hear is the 4890's fan running at full blast, my xigamatek fan doesnt go on (it only goes on after bios turn on from previous experience)

please help!

Pottypete

Hi,Tomy
If I were you I would  request an RMA from NCIX for the mobo and memory,
Or seek a professional repair guy to give their opinion on setup 8)
You obviuosly got a big problem there,
regards